Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cometic head gasket better than Mopar?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Cometic head gasket better than Mopar?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    But why?? A 20 year old injector driver gives out... Or some other 20 year old part. Not for me
    A 'fuse' HG won't save a piston if an injector fails, not even a JE piston.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Brian- same damn way my gasket blew out, same gasket. Except the gasket material was MIA and the fire ring was broken in about the same length, but bent to be in line with the cylinders.

I can see on the gasket where all the cylinders where bleeding off cylinder pressure some. Aaron what did you do different when you put it back together? Did you have the #4 coolant mod done when yours blew out?

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    I can see on the gasket where all the cylinders where bleeding off cylinder pressure some. Aaron what did you do different when you put it back together? Did you have the #4 coolant mod done when yours blew out?
    No I did not! So i did that, and used a Cometic like I used to do (just didn't have the money that time when I put it back together... shame on me) and did a sequence of step torquing up to 90 ft/lbs, then let it run for a minute or two, turn it off, undo in correct sequence each bolt 1/4 turn, then immediately go right back to 90 ft lb in sequence.

This lets the head sit where it will sit, get some heat to it to move some stuff around, back off the bolts to let the gasket move to where it wants to be when it's warm, then clamp it right back down. This is a little trick the guys that build Dart's Pro Stock motors told me about. Does it work better? I don't know, but it was worth trying.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    A 'fuse' HG won't save a piston if an injector fails, not even a JE piston.
    JE's can take an asss whooping, I melted my head gasket and cylinder head and barely a mark and I bet the EGT's were well over 1800, my guage was pinned and my af guage didn't read it was so lean. I am scared to try another brand incase I do something stupid again,

Yeah, you can see the black on the firing rings, it was leaking or starting too.

Are you using studs or bolts?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    I don't know if I would trust any advice from Ken. He couldn't even beat a bone stock SRT4 with his glhs at SDAC-15.
    LOL... Went 14.17 on a 14.1 dial at 107mph while melting a piston because the cal was wrong... So maybe you shouldn't trust me!!! LOL..... Damn headgasket didn't pop!!!
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    LOL..... Damn headgasket didn't pop!!!
    DOH!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    JE's can take an asss whooping, I melted my head gasket and cylinder head and barely a mark and I bet the EGT's were well over 1800, my guage was pinned and my af guage didn't read it was so lean. I am scared to try another brand incase I do something stupid again,
    I was refering to the injector dying... HG fuse, JE slugs, etc, noting is gonna save it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Yeah, you can see the black on the firing rings, it was leaking or starting too.

Are you using studs or bolts?[/QUOTE]

I'm using bolts. I may end up going to studs though. That gasket had been through he11!!. All of my tuning trials & errors, and tons of passes. Along with several 28+psi blasts.
    Last edited by glhs875; 01-15-2007 at 12:48 AM.

Best part about the studs on a 'toy' car is that they are re-useable!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Ken will disagree with me but ARP studs should be the first thing you install. If you really think about it, the TTY bolts will stretch, IE let the head lift due to there design, studs will not stretch and let the head lift. We have two different beasts but I have run 30 psi and never lifted the head or blown out a head gasket and I beat on my van pretty good.

Hybrid booster

I lay out the cash for the Cometic gaskets. If everything's right, it won't be an issue. The MP gasket may be a 40 amp fuse, but if the piston/head melts at 30 amps, it won't matter anyway......

turbo addict

Ken will disagree with me but ARP studs should be the first thing you install. If you really think about it, the TTY bolts will stretch, IE let the head lift due to there design, studs will not stretch and let the head lift. We have two different beasts but I have run 30 psi and never lifted the head or blown out a head gasket and I beat on my van pretty good.

Are the studs easily removed if the head needs to come off? Because with the way my down pipe is built, there's no freaking way to get the head on or off with studs in the block.

Great, I'm coming up with ways to make the head/gasket hold more pressure, now I will blow the crankshaft out the bottom of the block!!

Are the studs easily removed if the head needs to come off? Because with the way my down pipe is built, there's no freaking way to get the head on or off with studs in the block.
    Yes, there broached which is ARP's term for there an allen socket hole in the top of them. I have to remove my studs in my van as I can't pull the head straight up. I just put an allen bit on my cordless screwdriver and out they come,

I've had the head lift with the ARP studs. Maybe you're just not flowing enough into the cylinders then...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I've had the head lift with the ARP studs. Maybe you're just not flowing enough into the cylinders then...
    Maybe you just didn't tighten them down enough,

Maybe you just didn't tighten them down enough,
    LOL... tighten too much with an MP gasket and it squishes out!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

So which will hold better, bolts or studs? I've always thought that all bolts or studs stretch a little when torqued.

turbo addict

So which will hold better, bolts or studs? I've always thought that all bolts or studs stretch a little when torqued.
    correct, I think the arp's are stronger so they would stretch less

Studs are superior, they clamp so much better that if you use main studs, that you have to have the bores checked for roundness. They don't stretch like bolts do.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    Brian- same damn way my gasket blew out, same gasket. Except the gasket material was MIA and the fire ring was broken in about the same length, but bent to be in line with the cylinders.
    Same place mine always blew too,when I used a mopar gasket Im not to fond of them.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast