Thread: Tob Is A Little Noise

TurboII

Tob Is A Little Noise

Is It Normal To Hear The Throw Out Bearing Make A Little Chatter Noise

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Tob Is A Little Noise

It's not uncommon. I drove my Shelby Charger for 2 years and about 40k miles with a noisy throw out bearing and never had any problems, it was just annoying.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

TOB don't rattle, they squeak or make a grinding noise when there bad. The noise your hearing is probably gear rattle inside the trans, some trans have a little more clearance so the gears tend to jump around and RATTLE. Check your fluid level, if fine, its nothing to worry about./
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

TurboII

oh ok then, but how come when you push the clutch pedal in it goes away is that still the gear clearance

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    TOB don't rattle, they squeak or make a grinding noise when there bad.
    BS, they can rattle when they are good or bad, even new. I put a brand new Mopar TOB in the T2 shadow with a fresh and tight trans and it rattled from day 1.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    oh ok then, but how come when you push the clutch pedal in it goes away is that still the gear clearance
    Does it shift ok? Make any gear noises when the clutch is depressed? TOB sounds like it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

TurboII

know it shifts fine and it is a new tob and shelby daytona 2 clutch

Probably TOB then...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

If it stops making noise with light pedal pressure or an inch of push, then it is the TOB. If it only stops when the clutch is fully depressed then it is the gears (or input shaft bearing). Basically you are trying to see if the noise stops when the bearing has pressure on it or when the input shaft stops spinning. If it is the 'gears/input shaft' you can actually hear them slow down once the clutch is disengaged. Mild noises are not too uncommon for any of the parts.

TurboII

i think its the TOB because it does it when its cold or when you first start the car. i prolly forgot to mention that, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    BS, they can rattle when they are good or bad, even new. I put a brand new Mopar TOB in the T2 shadow with a fresh and tight trans and it rattled from day 1.
    I guess you guys have whacked cars, NEVER EVER heard a TOB rattle, its a sealed bearing with grease. IF they do rattle, it means in about 5 secs, there going to explode.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I guess you guys have whacked cars, NEVER EVER heard a TOB rattle, its a sealed bearing with grease. IF they do rattle, it means in about 5 secs, there going to explode.
    Explode in 5 seconds? Nope, lasted 12.89 seconds at 105mph, and has seen 130mph on the highway since

Are there different part number TO bearings? The one in the Shadow came from Mopar.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

The new TOB I installed a few months ago in my Spirit R/T has slightly rattled from day #1. Hasn't gotten any worse, but annoying still. I think it's the 'fingers' on the TOB that hold it to the release fork. When the TOB isn't loaded against the plate fingers, it tends to rattle loosely on the input shaft sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    The new TOB I installed a few months ago in my Spirit R/T has slightly rattled from day #1. Hasn't gotten any worse, but annoying still. I think it's the 'fingers' on the TOB that hold it to the release fork. When the TOB isn't loaded against the plate fingers, it tends to rattle loosely on the input shaft sleeve.
    Thats sounds more like a plan,

turbo addict

Last time I heard my 89 Daytona Shelby's A555 rattled.... It stopped whenever I push in the clutch. Yes, it alway kept it full.

http://www.hardcars.com/thepriestmike/trans/

Hybrid booster

I've had plenty of rattling TOBs lasted 2 years just fine and made noise, I'd just blast some graphite spray ever now and then down the timing window with that red tube thinger to try and hid the TOB and it would quiet it down for a month or so. Replaced it and the new one rattled too. I remember hearing that the 90 5spd cars got an updated TOB that doesn't make as much noise so I upgraded to that at the time and there was never a problem again

This noise is not the TOB, it's called neutral gear rattle and is common in most of our FWD stick transmissions especially the older 525. 520 and 555's.

The T/O bearing turns all the time and is in constant contact the pressure plate. When you depress the clutch the gear set stops turning and the noise goes away but the bearing is still turning.

Check the fluid level in the transmission and if all is well drive the car and give little thought to the noise. If your getting gear noises while going down the road, then it's time to look farther into the transmission.

Cliff Ramsdell

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    Is It Normal To Hear The Throw Out Bearing Make A Little Chatter Noise

So what causes "neutral gear rattle" ? I have had a couple noisy transaxles before.

...and I have had TOB's that have made noise when in neutral, but the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed.

What happened to the TOB is that the plastic inner race liner wore and allowed the bearing to flop around on the input shaft sleeve. When the clutch was pressed there was more force that held the TOB from rattling. I had one rattle like this for quite some time and the vibration eventually beat up the TOB bearing itself.

The aftermarket clutches put more stress on the factory TOB that was not designed for. Also, the older TOB's had a metal sleeve, not plastic like every other one nowadays.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

how come swapping the TOB fixes this gear rattle?

Two different subjects. Noisy TOB and gear rattle are totally different things.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President