Thread: something not right in my fuel system.....(long)

something not right in my fuel system.....(long)

1987 dodge daytona shelby Z 2.2l t2 MPG Mike head, t2 turbo, 3" SV DP open cutout, socketed LM, stock injectors, fuel pump, AFPR

so, I was running the stock cal pushing about 12psi of boost and everything is fine. I burned the MP cal to a chip and that had me in the red on my dawes device so i took it out. Saturday, I went messing around, fuel is good, so i figure i'll put the MP cal in and raise the fuel pressure a little bit. As im driving, part throttle in boost, i notice my DD isn't even reading so i let out. i try getting into boost a couple more times but it still doesn't read. I didn't go WOT for fear of boosting too fast and getting into detonation. So i go home, bump the FP a lil bit more, go out with the same results. I wasn't sure which way was up so I turned it both ways. After not getting any results, I put the stock cal in and do the same thing. One time i guess i let it out too far and I think i got a little bit of detonation. As i was on the gas, still part throttle starting to boost maybe 5psi, I felt the engine stop accelerating for a second. So I let out. Go home, turn the AFRP very far the other way again and try it again. Still nothing, so I park it.

So I drove the car yesterday, and it was smoking a little. cold driving I was reading full blue on the DD do i dropped the FP a little bit. I tried going WOT to see if i was getting enough fuel and sure enough I was. I tried part throttle boost again, and I wasn't getting enough fuel. I was going to pick up my USB to com port adapter for data logging, so I thought I would take this car so i could data log the way home, I hooked it up and couldn't get anything to read, so i just went home. The circuit city was right on the highway so I pulled out and went WOT. The DD was reading blue green. When I was in 3rd gear, still wot, it happened again, so i let out. as soon as i let out, the road was covered in smoke. I limped it home, shutting it down at lights as not to smoke out everyone. On some of the long roads, I noticed that on throttle its fine, but engine braking it smokes like crazy, so I guess I cracked a piston. When I got home I watched the cutout and i hit the throttle with my hand and confirmed that it smokes a little at idle, non while accelerating and ALOT when in high vac(20"). I poped the hood and saw I had a little smoke coming out of my PCV breather on my oil cap. I checked the plugs, 1-3 looked like white with a llight coating of black? Like they were white but now they are forming a layer of black. and #4 is black, I guess my #4 coolant mod helped there. None of the plugs had the 'salt and pepper' look. I took a compression test cold(bov pipe was getting JB welded and painted) later that night and it came up 93 90 100 120.

Aside from me destroying my freshly rebuilt engine, before I was swapped to the MP cal the second time, I coulda sworn that at part throttle I had the proper amount of fuel for the boost. Now I don't get anywhere near the amount of fuel i need in boost at part throttle. I want to figure out what is going on before I replace my pistons so this doesn't happen again. I ran the codes and got the standard 12, 55. The earliest I can get a fuel pressure gauge is tomorrow. I guess I will first check that i can get the proper amount of fuel pressure. Then I will have my injectors flowed, along with my +40%'s I plan on installing later. What else should I look for? Maybe pull the fuel rail off, put a pigtail on the injector and touch it to a 9vbatt and make sure it sprays fine? Might it be better to just go blueberry while I'm putting in new pistons?

THANK YOU to anyone who has spent the time to read my story. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Re: something not right in my fuel system.....(long)

As a side note, I know this is not TD but I'll throw it in anyway......I know I didnt make the best decision playing with the FP like I did or going WOT while my car was smoking, but i do not wish to be flamed for it. I'm still kinda new to this and learning. I want to learn from my mistakes for the sake of my next set of pistons.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

Well the DD doesn't read the amount of fuel at part throttle. It only reads at WOT. So only go by what it says at WOT, not part.

I would bet that it detonated and then cracked the ringland. It sucks that this happened on your new motor. Hopefully you get it apart and fixed soon so you can go back at it and fix the tuning mistake. It happens to everyone, I cracked 2 pistons before, it's not fun but it happens.

Nate

ok it just seemed like it was OK on the DD before, I am gonna get a wideband by the time its back together