Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating S2 w/o toys.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Debating S2 w/o toys.

I'm debating getting S2 w/out toys for my '04. Basically i would like to have a solid 13 sec daily driver without having to put race gas in it. Right now i have S1 and a Mopar catback. I have read in more than one place that the S2 doesn't make any more power than S1 unless you click it into High Octane Mode. Anybody have experience with this?

boostaholic

Re: Debating S2 w/o toys.

I bought 2 w/o toys a little over a month ago just because I got a smokin'
    deal. I got it used for $550. (Add $25 for reprogram.)
    I never had Stage 1, and unfortunetly the track closed before I could
    run it. All I can say is after I installed it and tighted up the IC hoses,
    it will fry the tires in second gear.
    Temp was about 50 degrees the last time I ran it, and it would boost a
    solid 15psi to 5500.
    I realy wish I could of had the toys since ther is 100 octane avail.
    local and I like to take it to the track once in a while.
    I'm thinking of buying a used toys pcm, and adding the aftermarket toys
    the guy on SRT forums is selling.
    I would have rather had Stage 3, but since my wife is 8.5 months pregnant,
    I thought that would have pushed the envelope.
    I'm sure GLHS has a better opinion since I think he's had all three
    stage kits.

Hybrid booster

I'd like to hear more feedback as well. I've got about $850 bucks saved up, with $200 going to a local guy for a used 3" dp and side exit. I'm torn about what to do with the other $650. I've been looking at maybe putting together a a nitrous system, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do right now.

Hybrid booster

If anyone with some stage 2 toys experience could post I appreciate it. I'm talking to a guy right now for a straight of trade, stage 1 and some RC-750's for his stage 2 toys setup. I don't know where to go at this point, should I get the stage 2 or should I get a nitrous kit? Any feedback would be appreciated.

If I was in your posistion Chris, and willing to use N20, i wouldnt bother with S2 at all, let alone with toys. Jet for an extra 25 hp, and be done with it! And with nitrous, you probably wouldnt want to use the high octane mode anyway. All it does is advance the timing significantly, exactly what you don't want to do with nitrous.

Hybrid booster

It turns out that it doesn't matter anyways. I wasn't fast enough and another guy got it. I would have liked to get the kit and skiped the nitrous setup, I would just feel better about not having to keep filling the bottle to get the car where I want but I guess I'm back to looking for a nitrous kit.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

There was a large thread on SRTForums about stage 2.

Painfully I read through it.

My conclusions were that the Stage 2 definitely adds power. It is hard to tell how much though since the postings were all about track times and not dyno results, and as we all know the variables with drivers, track, temp, etc are many.

However, it seemed that the cars in the thread that were Stage 2 w/o toys were trapping 102-103mph, and usually with driver error MPH is still pretty consistent.

I've been saving up for Stage 2 w/o toys. In my opinion the intercooler sprayer and high octane modes are neat, but they only add 15hp or so, and my car is 99% street driven, so realistically how often would I use that? Rather than spend the extra $800 on the toys, I'd rather use some of those funds for upgrading the exhaust.

Scott

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

I have never regretted getting S2 w/toys. I went from S0 to S2, and there was just a huge difference. With nothing but S2 in HOM and the Mopar cat-back, I was trapping 105-106 (with possible boost leaks). In a 3000 lb. car, that means it's putting about 285 hp to the wheels. Instead of the sprayer, a big intercooler would probably be just as effective at keeping the charge cool.

After some suspension changes, I ran 13.3 @ 103.something on street tires. The only power modifications were still just S2 in HOM and the Mopar cat-back. Stock plugs, wires, intake, and paper filter.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD

However, it seemed that the cars in the thread that were Stage 2 w/o toys were trapping 102-103mph, and usually with driver error MPH is still pretty consistent.
    Wow... my last trip to the track netted me a 102.95mph trap speed. And that was with only S1 and the Mopar Catback. Maybe I will hold off.

Garrett booster

I don't think i'd suggest s2 without toys, unless you were getting a smoking deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    Basically i would like to have a solid 13 sec daily driver without having to put race gas in it.
    I have a hard time believing this is your "final" goal . If somewhere in the back of your head your thinking "buy stage 2 now, and upgrade to 3 later", i would really suggest toys. For the dial-a-boost and hom (not the ic sprayer!). I use the dial a boost more than i thought i would with s2, so i'd image its very practical with s3. Of course if the hahn port fueler and 16/20g combos were available last spring thats what would be on my car now.

Here's the thread I was referencing. I was reading it again tonight. MPHs are all over the map. Some really high, some really low. Majority of posters had S2 w/ toys, but there were quite a few without toys.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...7&page=6&pp=15

In reading, seems like the cars with the better MPHs also had exhaust upgrades.

Mike,

I just re-read your post. I thought your car had run a best of 101mph. Did you recently add the cat-back exhaust and did that bump you up another MPH?

Scott

I went to the track in October and clicked off a 14.10 @ 102.95mph with no other changes. 2.2 60 ft time.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

S1 to S2 comparison... Mike, didn't you run 13.7 on slicks with S1 and stock exhaust? I ran 13.3 on street tires with S2 and the Mopar cat-back. I feel pretty confident I could run 12.8 or 12.9 on slicks with this setup. (But in high-octane mode.)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Pardon my ignorance but what are "toys"?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Pardon my ignorance but what are "toys"?
    -Intercooler Sprayer

-Dial-A-Boost Switch
    Manage boost on demand by adjusting the 4-position thumb wheel located on the Turbo Toys bezel.

-High-Octane Fuel Switch
    Fill the tank with 100 (R+M)/2 octane unleaded fuel, press the red switch located on the Turbo Toys bezel, and discover instant torque and power gains. The PCM will increase spark advance and adjust fueling to take full advantage of the 100 octane unleaded fuel. The red indicator lamp will illuminate when High Octane Mode is active. During High Octane Mode operation, the PCM prevents damaging detonation via the OEM knock detection system. High Octane Mode will be bypassed if damaging knock is detected.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

^^^Thank you.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

I have the s2 with toys and love it, but I also have a lot of other mods. I haven't taken it to the track since I put the s2 kit on, mostly because only recently have I been driving the car as a daily driver. I plan to park the srt-4 again for a few months because I am limiting myself to 10k miles per year.
    If anyone needs a used s2 w/o toys computer let me know, I have a couple and can program in your vin #
    Later,
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321
    S1 to S2 comparison... Mike, didn't you run 13.7 on slicks with S1 and stock exhaust? I ran 13.3 on street tires with S2 and the Mopar cat-back. I feel pretty confident I could run 12.8 or 12.9 on slicks with this setup. (But in high-octane mode.)

Yup, Actually I think my best on slicks is 13.6, but i cannot remember if i had the catback on yet or not.

Hybrid booster

I read through the whole thread that was posted above, and it seems like you can trap anywhere between 103-108, with the same parts. Thats such a large range, and it seems to be totaly random. Sigh, I really want a stage 2 setup, but I just can't convince myself that it's worth the risk. I've got a wideband on the way and I picked up my exhaust this afternoon, maybe I'll just buy a intercooler and see what she'll do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast