Thread: Anybody use the LRE Lowering springs on their Shelby Charger?

turbo addict

Anybody use the LRE Lowering springs on their Shelby Charger?

I'm looking to pick up a set of the LRE lowering springs from FWDP to use on my Shelby Charger and was wondering if anyone had pictures of their SC w/these installed. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 85shelbycharger; 01-06-2007 at 02:26 AM.

turbo addict

Re: Anybody use the LRE Lowering springs on their Shelby Charger?

Anyone?

turbo addict

C'mon, somebody has to be using these springs.

Hybrid booster

Well... there are lowering springs on my 87 GLHS, but I don't really know if they are LRE or not. I'm guessing they are since I don't know of anyone else who makes lowering springs for the chargers. I can get pics if you would like.
    However, unless you plan on making it a handling only car, I would recommend not. I'll tell you why if you care about other things than handling.

Hybrid booster

I have them on my Omni. Front only. I have the Mopar ones in the back. i would recommend them. The car sits nice and low but not too low. I could send you a pick even though it's not a charger, if you want.

Steve

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tvanlant View Post
    However, unless you plan on making it a handling only car, I would recommend not. I'll tell you why if you care about other things than handling.
    Well the thing is, I have brand new Mopar struts and shocks for my SC and I'm wanting to get brand new springs for it as well. The LRE's are all that I can find, plus I thought it would look pretty cool having it lowered a little bit.

I wasn't aiming to have a handling only car (i.e. an autocross car). It will serve as a daily driver during the summer and it'll take an occasional trip to the drag strip. But yea, elaborate a little bit, I'd like to hear what you have to say about 'em.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS069 View Post
    I have them on my Omni. Front only. I have the Mopar ones in the back. i would recommend them. The car sits nice and low but not too low. I could send you a pick even though it's not a charger, if you want.

Steve
    Yeah sure, a pic would be cool. Send it to: prl5004@psu.edu
    Just curious, what are your reasons for recommending them? Other than having it sit a little low, what are the other benefits you've noticed?

Hybrid booster

#1 - I jack my car up from the sides. I can't get any regular floor jack, or lift arms under the frame rail without someone lifting up on the fender well.
    #2 - Even with the Konis set on full soft, it still has a terribly rough ride. With the Konis on medium or stiff, it is horrible to drive on the street.
    #4 - The front facia is low enough on those cars, and lowered, I scrap/hit that thing on every driveway, curb, whatever.
    #3 - my stock 205/50s rub.

Maybe I just complain alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ha ha tonka 6-16-06 020.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	3245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ha ha tonka 6-16-06 003.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	3246  

turbo addict

#1 - I jack my car up from the sides. I can't get any regular floor jack, or lift arms under the frame rail without someone lifting up on the fender well.
    #2 - Even with the Konis set on full soft, it still has a terribly rough ride. With the Konis on medium or stiff, it is horrible to drive on the street.
    #4 - The front facia is low enough on those cars, and lowered, I scrap/hit that thing on every driveway, curb, whatever.
    #3 - my stock 205/50s rub.

Maybe I just complain alot.
    Haha, thanks for the input. I really like how your car looks Has a very agressive and sleek look to it. I know it wouldn't be the most comfortable riding car I've had, but it's an l-body, what's one to expect? Plus, I think that the stock size tires rub on these cars no matter what. I have the 205/50's on my Omni and they rub and so do the BFG T/A's that are on the Charger now. The only thing that concerns me is that about the jack. I definitely dont' want to have to lift up on my freshly painted fenders to get jack under the car. Hmmm...I dont' know what to do. Are there any other options for new springs anywhere?

Hybrid booster

I've been searching for a while for stock replacement springs so I can get my car to sit up a little more. I do like the way it looks, but its a pain. I found O'Reilly's (and probably most auto supply stores) can get stock replacement springs, but I don't know if I want O'Reilly's junk on my car. I looked through chrysler, but they don't have anything.

turbo addict

I've been searching for a while for stock replacement springs so I can get my car to sit up a little more. I do like the way it looks, but its a pain. I found O'Reilly's (and probably most auto supply stores) can get stock replacement springs, but I don't know if I want O'Reilly's junk on my car. I looked through chrysler, but they don't have anything.
    I hate the idea of using generic auto parts store parts as well. So maybe I'll just go with the LRE's for a while and save up to eventually get some new Koni/Eibach coilovers. (Or maybe I can snatch the Koni/Eibach's off of my brother's Turismo without him noticing )

Hybrid booster

Did you ever steal Billy's Koni/Eibachs? hahahah

Hybrid booster

I just installed some LRE springs last week and mine are not as low as the pic above.

turbo addict

I used them all around on my omni. It sits lower than stock and def has a stiffer ride. I like the way the car feels but i did the entire suspension at the same time so i dont know exactly what the springs would have done alone.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

have these on the front of my rampage and have used them on other L bodies in the past (the LRE's) them seem very similar to the MP lowering springs. I do like them.....matched with some adjustible Koni's and your gonna have a fairly stiff ride quality

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    I just installed some LRE springs last week and mine are not as low as the pic above.
    Give it some time. I had them on my Charger for several months before they fully settled.

And then it went back to the stock ride height when I put the 16" wheels on, but that's a totally different discussion.

Hybrid booster

The GLHS looks awesome in Garnet. Maybe he should have made 500 red and 500 black...