Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FWDP cams

FWDP cams

looking at getting f2 or f3 cams from FWDP.

Just wanted to get peoples opinion on the cams or what they thought would be best.

The setup is:
    2.5CB
    A555
    Stg1 FM head (mild ported swirl head)
    TO4E 40 trim Stg1 .63 turbine w/TU 3in SV back
    Ported/heat treated Stock exhaust mani
    Watercooled IC
    Running around 18-20psi on the street.

I plan on getting a head ported within a year. Unsure if it will be a big valve head or not. But It will be either by MPGMike, LWP, or Tvanlant. Unsure if it will be stock valve or larger valve.

This is a Daily Driver and will se the track maybe a few time a year. The specs of the FWD cams seem pretty impressive but I would like input on others who are running after market cams and how there car idles and drives with them or know how a car might perform and drive with one of these cams.

Thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: FWDP cams

I am not aware of anyone running one for their cams. It will be interesting to hear the reviews for the first time.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I'd be interested to see results also. I haven't heard of anyone using them or seen any dyno info from her either.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

well, currently I plan on using one. Still interested in hearing if any one has used a cam with similer specs and what they think.... if there are any cams out there like that

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Got any pics of that H2O IC?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Cool fab

I noticed at the Sport Compact finals in Pomona a few months ago many of the teams are using water to air now (maybe they always have and I've been under a rock? ) they take up less space for the cooler for sure. Some teams were using 1 gallon H2O tanks and some were using 3 gallon.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Maybe "water cooled IC" refers to a spray bar? and not and Air/Water IC.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

I throw around the term water cooled and air to water around when I shouldn't. I just call it water cooled because thats how my CPU is cooled.

I wish I could say I made it but its just a cheap ebay unit. I have heard from other people using them that they are great. I sold one to a VW guy who was running low 11's and with just that (and running Ice water) he broke into the 10's. I think "ThePope" is running one only he modified the water end-tanks since they are a shitty design.

I am talking about watercooled ICs in another thread in this section. Lets bring this over there.

Back to cams. One thing I am wondering about is vacuum. I am wondering how much vacuum the after market cams out there make versus the stock cams. Turbovanman, you have run several different cams, do you remember any difference in vacume at idle and at hky cruising?

Quote Originally Posted by JuXsA View Post

Back to cams. One thing I am wondering about is vacuum. I am wondering how much vacuum the after market cams out there make versus the stock cams. Turbovanman, you have run several different cams, do you remember any difference in vacume at idle and at hky cruising?

The S1 was just like stock, the S2 idled around 15-16 inch's and cruise was the same. 88 TBI roller was just like stock.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

is stock for you around 19in or is more like 20-21?

thanks

I have also been looking at this Comp Cam thats got a .499 lift. Would that work even better because it has so much lift?

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

There is a .484 intake-.534 exhaust cam out there. Idles at 17" from what I hear. Stock should idle at 18-19"
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

boostaholic

I have the f2 cam, but only ran the car for a couple races before my turbo failed. I have the adjustable cam gear and only tweeked it a couple times, but the more I advanced it, the quicker the car felt in acceleration. I only advanced it 5 degrees, but I heard the more I advanced it the better it would get. I'll get to find out this year!

is stock for you around 19in or is more like 20-21?

thanks

I have also been looking at this Comp Cam thats got a .499 lift. Would that work even better because it has so much lift?
    Yep, 19-20 inches.

The lift doesnt' really affect the vacuum, its the duration.

I know that its duration that effects vacuum but I figure that with a higher lift it allows the valves to stay open in the 300-400 lift range longer.
    check it out:
    http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Se...umber=22-124-4
    I can get that for 175 with out a core.

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910 View Post
    I have the f2 cam, but only ran the car for a couple races before my turbo failed. I have the adjustable cam gear and only tweeked it a couple times, but the more I advanced it, the quicker the car felt in acceleration. I only advanced it 5 degrees, but I heard the more I advanced it the better it would get. I'll get to find out this year!

How did you like it compared to the stock cam?

Garrett booster

check it out:
    http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Se...umber=22-124-4
    I can get that for 175 with out a core.
    The Comp Cam is the S60 cam, they make it for MP.

I believe the FWDP F cams are an improvement/update of the old Taft S roller cams, S2 = F3, S3 = F4. I use to have the S2 which I think is a great street/strip cam, I now have an S3 in & it defiantly pulls harder top end, but you got to be willing to rev to say 7k. With the S3 you do loose some vacuum at idle, about 4 or 5, but I do regret selling my S2. Between the S2 and the S3, I also tried the '88 tbi, '89 turbo & of course the S60 & I do think the S2 was the best all around cam which is probably comparable to the F3.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy1eye View Post
    The Comp Cam is the S60 cam, they make it for MP.

I believe the FWDP F cams are an improvement/update of the old Taft S roller cams, S2 = F3, S3 = F4. I use to have the S2 which I think is a great street/strip cam, I now have an S3 in & it defiantly pulls harder top end, but you got to be willing to rev to say 7k. With the S3 you do loose some vacuum at idle, about 4 or 5, but I do regret selling my S2. Between the S2 and the S3, I also tried the '88 tbi, '89 turbo & of course the S60 & I do think the S2 was the best all around cam which is probably comparable to the F3.
    I believe that comp cam is also a slider, so be prepared to replace it after a few weeks.

I really liked the S2 but I took it out when I went to a G-head. I have an S3 also so I want to test both of those before I go 16 valve.

So the comp cam is a slider....damn. Having a cam with a .500 lift sounds kinda nice.

Garrett booster

So the comp cam is a slider....damn. Having a cam with a .500 lift sounds kinda nice.
    You would think that, I know I did, but that wasn't the case.

Check out a thread I started a while back... http://www.turbododge.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103370

I just recently put in the S3 cam & didn't have a chance to dyno it before I put the car away for the winter, this spring I will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast