Thread: Can't get my crankshaft sprocket off

Garrett booster

Can't get my crankshaft sprocket off

I've tried using one of the hamonic balancer removers but that didn't have the right bolts so I went out and bought some normal everyday bolts at a hardware store and that just bent the bolts trying to pull it off. This is a 5 bolt pattern so it is a little off center trying to remove it. This is also the actual sprocket that the timing belt runs, not the underdrive pully. Anyone have some quick suggestions I kind of need this van running again by Tues.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Can't get my crankshaft sprocket off

You can make your own. There is a thread on here from last week which talks about making one.

Garrett booster

lol I was the one who probably started that post your talking about. I don't have access to a welder though so I think I just might buy that guys. If anyone has any more suggestions then please do share.

i just use intake manifold bolts they are strong, long and I have plenty. also I guess the question should be asked, do you know how to use the puller, are you sure you're not trying to pull against the pulley... have to ask because I seen a lot of people mess up stuff with using a puller incorrectly.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You could probably drill and tap a piece of metal and then use that if you are hard up enough.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    i just use intake manifold bolts they are strong, long and I have plenty. also I guess the question should be asked, do you know how to use the puller, are you sure you're not trying to pull against the pulley... have to ask because I seen a lot of people mess up stuff with using a puller incorrectly.
    lol yeah I've used them before. Put bolts into the sprocket then thread large bolt into the middle of the puller and have it push on the crankshaft allowing it to pull the sprocket off.

ya but... again, I've seen a lot of "experts" screw this up not realizing that the sprocket necks down on common blocks, where the bolt goes thru, thus making the puller screw push on the sprocket while the bolts are pulling against the same part. it just dont work. to be safe, I strongly recommend you put the bolt back in but leave it loose ¼" then you know for a fact that the puller is actually pushing against the crank.

turbo addict

22mopar

I replaced my sprocket bolt with a all-thread stud, washer and a nut. Taking the sprocket off and much easier.