Thread: Engine "miss" with "fft,fft sound out tailpipe

Engine "miss" with "fft,fft sound out tailpipe

2.2 85 TI. I think I was mistakenly chasing bad injector. Stuck exhaust valve? This is "Lazy Larry" that sat for 10 years. It was running good. Then developed this problem. The engine has no miles since resurrecting. Just starting and idling while working on other problems. there is no audible ticking or such. It had 80,000 miles before sitting.
    If it's a stuck valve not closing, what is the simplest way to repair. Pull valve cover and rotate exhaust valve? Lube with pb blaster and move manually to see if it frees up?

Garrett booster

Re: Engine "miss" with "fft,fft sound out tailpipe

Mine makes the same noise I always thought it was wierd but then my friends Daytona seems to make the same noise also so I figured it was just a normal turbo Dodge kinda thing. If there is a way to fix it I sure would be interested in fixing it. Sorry I know this doesn't help you but you definitly aren't the only one who has that problem.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Why was it parked, it could be because the engine is toast. If the valves are stuck or sticking, you can try to loosen them by removing the valve spring and lubing up the guide then twisting it. It could also be a cracked piston. Have you done a compression test?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I bought it for parts, but it was too nice to part. It ran like a dream when I drove it home, 80,000 miles with all the bells and whistles. It just needed a front clip from minor accident. I'm resurrecting it for a worthy member that needs a backup car.

I have to run a compression test. the problem is #4 cyl. I pull the plug wire and no change in miss. I thought of an injector first, since #1 had a stuck injector when I first got it running. It was smooth as silk after changing the #1 injector and then the #4 miss started. I have changed #4 injector with no success, then I noticed the fft, ffit. which means? an exhaust valve not closing in my humble opinion?
    the oil and water are clean. No bubbles in reservoir. No engine blowby.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sounds like an exhaust valve issue. Whats the engine vacuum?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info