Thread: Sounds like surge?

turbo addict

Sounds like surge?

I've searched a fair bit and can't find the answer to this question.

What does compressor surge sound like? I've heard it mentioned many time to "avoid the surge area", and "make sure the turbo doesn't go it it's surge wall".

What kind of damage will it do?

Does anyone have a recording of the noise? From what I understand, you can hear it.

Thanks.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: Sounds like surge?

it makes a sound similar to no BOV
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    it makes a sound similar to no BOV

But while you're accelerating quickly? That kind of ch ch ch ch sound? I've heard that before I installed a BOV.

I was playing around with the Franks turbo calculator and found a few choises with different boost levels, but some of them went a little into the surge area. That's why I ask. Is it damaging?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

What size turbo ya got and what is the rest of the setup? or why do you think you have surge?

Can you get us audio or a video with audio of it?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

No no no, there is no problem. I was just wondering what it sounded like and what kind of damage (if any) was done when it "surged".

There is nothing wrong, I was just wondering how someone would know if you're running the turbo in that area - if it were audible. That's all. thanks.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Gotcha. No idea. According to the turbo map for my Z it should be all over the surge line, and the best I could tell it never did.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/data...rbo_surge2.wmv
    Link I found that illustrates turbo surge sound.

Stay out of low rpm WOT conditions .. ie, lugging the engine, like up a hill in high gear or those low rpm hard WOT launches.

Found this here:http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

TURBO STALL is the formation of local flow deficits that rotate around the compressor. Flow deficits or cells are a region in which local mass flow is near zero. These cells rotate at an angular speed which is a fraction of the rotor speed.

English version: Each compressor blade pushes an equal amount of air through the turbo. If, for some reason, one or more blades push less air, then a low flow area is created. This low flow, or flow deficit, does not pass through the compressor, but spins with it at a slower speed than the compressor is spinning. The blades, spinning faster, pass through this low flow cell and drop their air load and upon exiting the cell pick up the load. This loading and unloading of the compressor blades, fatigues the blades and results in possible failure. It can also push the compressor in to a surge condition.

TURBO SURGE is the axis symmetrical oscillation of flow through the compressor that can include reverse flow.

English version: The normal flow of air through the turbo compressor wheel is slowed and/or reversed, then accelerated back to normal. These repeating oscillation cycles cause uneven thrust loads on the bearings and if the oscillations hit a harmonic frequency of the compressor blades, they can cause blade damage.

The quick and easy version for the rest of us: Turbo stall is the loss of normal air flow through the turbo compressor wheel in certain areas of the compressor wheel, and if the area gets large enough, can lead to turbo surge. Turbo surge is repeated momentary loss and then recovery of all normal air flow through whole compressor wheel.

It will sound like when lifting the throttle when you have no BOV, except it'll do it when it's under WOT and you're trying to accelrate. It's very violent, and very scary. Yes I've had it happen.

turbo addict

PUPPET - that's perfect, thanks. Great video find.

Now that I think of it, my boost gague did that when I let off from a WOT run before the BOV. The boost gague fluttered around.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That vid, the truck sounded like an old steam choo choo train.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

The requested URL /data/500/41359turbo_surge2.wmv was not found on this server.
    1 2 3 4 5