Thread: help with intercooler install ideas

Hybrid booster

help with intercooler install ideas

so i have a 87 csx, and need a bigger intercooler, however stock looking appearance and mantaining a/c are 2 big priorities. also i dont want to have to cut that much. and need a core big enough to support ~350 hp. ideas guys? thanks for your help!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: help with intercooler install ideas

Stock looking appearance from the outside, or while looking under the hood?
    A large NPR or a spearco that the vendors sell would do well without cutting too much.

you should be able to keep a stock look with almost any 'same side' intercooler. and you can even spray paint it black so it wolnt stand out through the nose. be sure to get a real same side intercooler like the spearco, not a 'double pass'

good style
    bad style

i dont know about either of these IC's specifically, but that is the style you want, the double pass style is much more restrictive
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Your best bet is to use an intercooler with the inlet/outlet on the same side and vertical cooling tubes (see good style link in Murphy's post for example). The more cooling tubes, the better. If you get one that isn't too tall, it will fit behind the air dam and won't even be visible through the "grille" opening. Paint it black and it visually disappears. These Intercoolers flow very well, but don't cool quite as well as intercoolers where there are fewer, longer tubes.

Then find an L-body (Omni or Charger) A/C condenser (2" narrower than stock, but the same height). Take out the stock I/C, and mount the new A/C condenser about 1/2 to 1" further right than the stocker, and you have 2 1/2" of clearance to run I/C pipes through the core support.

You will have to fabricate some mounting brackets for the A/C condenser and radiator, as well as drill mounting holes in the core support, but there shouldn't be any cutting of the core support required.

Aside from the lack of the upper intercooler tank, it looks stock (I'm still using my stock ribbed upper I/C hose on mine...stealthy).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Whatever you do, don't cut it!

and besides, you can make 350hp with the stock cooler

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    Your best bet is to use an intercooler with the inlet/outlet on the same side and vertical cooling tubes (see good style link in Murphy's post for example). The more cooling tubes, the better. If you get one that isn't too tall, it will fit behind the air dam and won't even be visible through the "grille" opening. Paint it black and it visually disappears. These Intercoolers flow very well, but don't cool quite as well as intercoolers where there are fewer, longer tubes.

Then find an L-body (Omni or Charger) A/C condenser (2" narrower than stock, but the same height). Take out the stock I/C, and mount the new A/C condenser about 1/2 to 1" further right than the stocker, and you have 2 1/2" of clearance to run I/C pipes through the core support.

You will have to fabricate some mounting brackets for the A/C condenser and radiator, as well as drill mounting holes in the core support, but there shouldn't be any cutting of the core support required.

Aside from the lack of the upper intercooler tank, it looks stock (I'm still using my stock ribbed upper I/C hose on mine...stealthy).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    thanks! thats the info i was looking for i was looking at the condensor, and radiator and not seeing how people were running them and keeping the condensor. and yes i dont want to cut, i want to pop the hood at a car show and everything is super sani. even though they dont know what theyre looking at its so clean people think its factory. ive been looking at pictures of p-bodies but everyone just hacks one on that ive seen. thanks for your help guys i now have my attack plan.