Thread: Need 1st gen Neon help

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor CSX321's Avatar

Need 1st gen Neon help

A friend has a serious oil leak from the front cam seal on his daughter's '95 Neon. He's trying to work out what has to be removed to replace it.

turbo addict

Re: Need 1st gen Neon help

Both belts, pass. mount, p.s. pump bracket, crank pulley (need 3 jaw puller), triangle shaped bracket, outer timing cover, 2 tensioner bolts (13mm), 2 idler pulley bracket (also 13mm?), 18mm cam sprocket bolt (impact gun), rear timing cover, and the seal will fall out in your hand if it had popped right out.

Look for a superceeded seal retainer from mopar. it'll save your butt. It'll make an engine siezing disaster into a good sized leak.

These are interference engines, so be careful.

Thanks. That info will help him, I hope. He's new to Neons.

Define Front side?

The cam position sensor is a popular leak. It was a 5 dollar o ring that fixed that.

Has the oil pressure sending unit started leaking yet? This is another popular part leak. The oil pressure unit failed on my new neon. It had pushed shot the backend of the connector a few inches away. These sensors leak through the connector.

I picked a coworkers 95 Neon because he thought all the oil it was pissing was bad. For 100 bucks, I didn't care it needed a motor. But it only needed a 20 bucks to stop all the oil leaks.

later

Quote Originally Posted by CSX321 View Post
    A friend has a serious oil leak from the front cam seal on his daughter's '95 Neon. He's trying to work out what has to be removed to replace it.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

turbo addict

Front cam seal is the one by the timing belt, right? That one will cause a SERIOUS leak when it falls out of the head. I know neons are great for leaking oil from just about everywhere. I'd change the belt and water pump at this time as well.

I almost forgot. you'll need to compress the hydraulic timing belt tensioner in a vise and insert a pin through the whole body of the tensioner and through the plunger itself. I've always had the right "pin" but I heard a small drill bit will do the trick. You'll see what size to use when you get it out. Then new oil retainer from MOPAR goes on after the inner timing cover and uses the same 2 bolts as the inner timing cover. For the $12 or so bucks - it's totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Front cam seal is the one by the timing belt, right?
    Right. He's already replaced the cam sensor seal and the oil pressure sending unit, as they were both leaking, too.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Both belts, pass. mount, p.s. pump bracket, crank pulley (need 3 jaw puller), triangle shaped bracket, outer timing cover, 2 tensioner bolts (13mm), 2 idler pulley bracket (also 13mm?), 18mm cam sprocket bolt (impact gun), rear timing cover, and the seal will fall out in your hand if it had popped right out.

Look for a superceeded seal retainer from mopar. it'll save your butt. It'll make an engine siezing disaster into a good sized leak.

These are interference engines, so be careful.

All that for a cam seal? Are you sure?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=