Thread: Turbo Cutlass vs quick Dodge Cummins diesel truck

Hybrid booster

Turbo Cutlass vs quick Dodge Cummins diesel truck

so i'm out driving the Cutlass on the main drag, and i pull up to the stoplight with this silver Dodge Truck (99-ish? hell if i know...). i notice right away it has a very large pipe going straight up the backside of the cab, and that it has the Cummins Turbo Diesel emblems on the doors. hmmm. then i see "HO 5.9L Cummins" painted on the side of the hood (kind of cheesy but whatever) and figure this guy must have some mods done to his truck. maybe it's quick? anyways i didn't think we were going to race, so i just sat there waiting for the green light to come. meanwhile he is inching up while waiting for the green light, which to me indicated he wanted to race. why he wanted to race an Oldsmobile sedan is beyond me, but of course, i'm game

so the light turns green and i get a fairly decent launch. i can barely step on the gas at all in 1st gear or it's instant tire spin. i put an instant 1/2 car length on him but that was probably because he didn't think i was actually going to race. before the end of the intersection i had already short shifted to 2nd gear and then just hammered it. to my surprise he was keeping right up with me but then again i was spinning a bit in 2nd gear. at the end of my 2nd gear he was actually realing me in and i'm thinking "oh noes this guy is gonna take me". however, after i got into 3rd gear/full boost i started walking away from him. i glanced at my rearview mirror just before letting off and there were huge clouds of black smoke behind his truck. we had to have gotten up close to 100mph with me having about 3 car lengths on him in the end. damn fast truck! - a helluva lot quicker than i thought it would be! i'm sure he thought the same about my my car haha.

he drove by me a few seconds later and he was laughing

fun race

it turns out my friend here in town (sl3196 - he now owns my old T2 '89 Lebaron GTS and a modded '00 Grand Prix GTP) works with the guy that owns the truck. he said his mods were "upgraded injectors, fuel pump, one of them tuner things and exhaust. I think that was it." he also told me "He was so suprised at your cutty he called a friend and had him research it on the net haha. Guess he found w-body or something cause he knew the info. He didn't even know there was ever a TGP hah". sl3196 raced the truck in his GTP and agreed it was pretty damn fast. he took it as well but then again his GTP is pretty well modded (it's a little faster than my Cutlass). i think they only raced from a dig up to ~50mph though.

----------------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo/Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 254whp/360wtq
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - just stock for now

boostaholic

Re: Turbo Cutlass vs quick Dodge Cummins diesel truck

Sounds like fun,I remeber a night we were all leaving a skating rink in Donora Pa and we useualy race up this hill when it comes to 4 lane just having fun.Any how I was iding with my freind in his new colorado and we came acrossed the bridge flored it against my other freinds grand am 5 speed and he starts pulling away but then he comes up nest for a 03 04 ram 2500 with 2 6 inch stacks and he leaves us all in a cloud of black smoke.The guy in the ram turned around in the parking lot at eat and park after wards and all you could hear when he pulled out was turbo.Those trucks with some work are fast.

Hybrid booster

seen the truck today and noticed the badges read "24-valve" on them so it had to have been a '98.5 or newer truck. it was a 2500. considering the "HO 5.9L Cummins" he had painted on the hood i'm assuming it's a 2001 model (i'm getting my info from wikipedia here so i might be wrong). from wikipedia - "In 2001, an optional high output (HO) version of the ISB was introduced, producing 245 hp (183 kW) at 2700 rpm and 505 ft·lbf (686 Nm) from 1600 rpm to 2700 rpm when paired with a heavy duty six-speed transmission."

damn that is alot of torque! weight was certainly on my side there, not to mention just plain aerodynamics once we got going faster. if he had gotten a good launch and considering his mods, i think the race could have very well ended with me only having a single car length on him. hard to say. impressive truck for sure.
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo/Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 254whp/360wtq
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - just stock for now
    Last edited by TurboSedan; 12-26-2006 at 03:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Hybrid booster

A couple of summers ago at the late night drags, I saw a Dodge Cummins 4X4 4door truck with an automatic turn consistent 13.6s in the 1/4 mile. He left a huge cloud of black smoke at the starting line.
    I thought they might not let him run again because he choked out the
    guys working at the light so bad!

Yes, they can be FAST! (much to the disgust of some vintage muscle car guys that night!)

Hybrid booster

my friend that works with the guy said he just got the new turbo in and wants a rematch i expect to get completely smoked heh heh. i have no idea what he upgraded to yet. i think stock they had a Holset HX-35 didn't they? should be fun if he knows how to launch i think my only chance is going to be from a 40mph roll-on (where my car does best) and even then i'd probably get walked on.

Joshua Mitchell
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - just stock for now & for sale

Hybrid booster

a little off topic but i sl3196 got some speedo vids of my Cutlass last night:

this first one is 0-115mph.

http://www.rmcgp.com/mupld/sl3196/pics/vids%20017.avi

i totally messed up the launch; had to get out of it and start again (it looks/sounds like i shifted to 2nd really early but i didn't). you can tell i was spinning tire all the way through 1st gear by looking at the speedo shooting up so fast & the RPM flaring right up to ~5500 RPM. considering the tiny Garrett T25 (zero lag) and steep gearing i really need staged boost control. 1st gear is utterly useless. i was trying to shift at 5000 RPM at each shift. i shifted to 2nd gear at a displayed ~33mph but then after i got into 2nd the tires stopped spinning so much and the speedo went back down to ~27mph displayed. i brought 2nd up to 53mph and then brought 3rd up to about 76mph. in 4th gear i started heading up a hill and slowly brought it up to 110mph and then very slowly reached 115mph in 5th just as i was reaching the top of the hill. i should have just stopped at the top of 3rd before i started climbing the hill; the vid kinda makes my car look bad. oh well.

2nd vid is starting in 3rd gear going from 40-94mph:

http://www.rmcgp.com/mupld/sl3196/pics/vids%20018.avi

i really need a bigger turbo. it really runs out of steam past 90mph or so.
    Joshua Mitchell
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 100% stock & for sale