Thread: Master Cylinder?

Garrett booster

Master Cylinder?

When you have the caps off of a master cylinder and are in the middle of bleeding brakes. If you let the pedal out fast and a geyser of fluid comes out, does that mean that the MC is bad? Thanx if that is the case then i have a bad MC. Which in that case Simon has been right all along!

Garrett booster

Re: Master Cylinder?

When bleeding you cant push the pedal to the floor? I just read that is that true on our cars? It says not to push the pedal any further then you do while driving. If that is the case then that is my problem i have been pushing it right to the floor when i bleed my brakes. Please verify this cause i never even thought of that.

turbo addict

I may be wrong but I know I've only pushed mine part way bleeding my brakes before, just to push the fluid through the lines adn get the air out.

turbo addict

it squirts all over, I sit the caps on but not tight

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The squirting out is normal and who ever told you not to push the pedal to the floor when bleeding is an idiot. Your trying to stroke the MC to get all the fluid pushed, if you only push it halfway down, your not moving much fluid. Hold the pedal as hard as you can and have buddy open the bleeder, let the pedal go all the way to the floor and close the bleeder. Give it a couple pumps and repeat until no air comes out. I also like to put a piece of hose on the nipple, imerse in a clear container with an inch of clean brake fluid, push on the pedal, open bleeder, close and repeat 3 times, then after he pushes the pedal down, keep the bleeder open, have buddy pump the MC until the fluid comes out clear or air free, on the down stroke, close the bleeder. Check the MC level and do this for all wheels or the ones you did work on.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanx for the info. I think i have a problem with rear drivers side and the front passengers side. Very annoying not sure what the problem is though. I just bled the brakes yesterday and the brake pedal was still spongy and then my drivers side back brake started clacking again as though there was air in there again. Extremely annoying. Oh well i will have to check for leaks. Only thing i havent changed on there is the rubber line for that caliper the other one was changed. Rear brakes we are talking.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Well LF and RR are the same circuit so I would bet you have a leaking caliper or bad seal thats letting air in, giving you a spongy pedal. The method using the jar will show you if its a seal issue as if theres always air, then you found your problem.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info