Thread: Shelby Truck???

Garrett booster

Shelby Truck???

Okay,
    I guess I am just not too informed on this. Were there dodge/shelby trucks that were made? apparently early 90s, possibly late 80s? I saw a white dodge today that had black striping and shelby on it. Front grill had shelby in the grill too... Anyone care to educate me as to their existence? And it had a V8 badge on the side.

-Will

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Shelby Truck???

You saw a 1989 Shelby Dakota. Shelby made red and white ones both with the same black stripe package. A couple pics of them up on www.sdac.org

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

Shelby also worked on a Ram but it never made production.

Hybrid booster

there was also this prototype twin turbo 360 powered Dakota.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Wow that TT dakota would have been crazy!

Garrett booster

Yup, that's it. It was in nearly mint condition too, it looked fantastic. Sounded good too.

-Will

turbo addict

I think the only thing it has performance wise was a electronic fan vs mechanical fan.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I think the only thing it has performance wise was a electronic fan vs mechanical fan.

Yup the 89 Dakota 5.2 put out about as much power as an 89 2.2 CSX.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

They didn't have much get up and go. But around that time the ground work was laid to put a V-8 in a truck that wasn't full size. I don't remember if the shelby branded trucks were the first of the V-8 trucks or came soon afterwards. But up until around that time all you had was a choice between 4cyl and V-6. I always wanted one of the convertible Dakota trucks they made around the same time.
    Tim

turbo addict

The Shelby was the first V8 to be put in the Dakota. You could get a V8 a year or two later but I believe the redesigned the front end to be able to do it. The electric fans were put in because there was no room for a regular fan.

Hybrid booster

the convertible dakotas werent a shelby, but cool none the less

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

The Shelby Dakotas ran pretty strong up to about 50-55mph then I felt they ran out of breath. I had a very nice 89 Shelby Dakota for eight years. To say the only thing they had performance wise was an electric fan is not really accurate. They did have the 318 V8 which was not available in a regular production Dakota until 1991. They also had a 3.92 rear, which I'm not sure if that was available in other Dakotas as well. The electric fans were due to space limitations and with those fans the Shelby Dakota got 5 more hp, up to 175. The V8 was a big step up from the 125hp 3.9 V6 that was otherwise the top option for the Dakota. The Dakota convertibles only came with the 3.9 V6 which leaves a little to be desired powerwise. It isn't bad with a manual transmission, no rocket by any means but my 90 Dakota Sport 3.9 V6 5speed w/ 3.55 rear doesn't feel that bad now that I have it running correctly. I've towed my Spirit R/T with this truck with no problems, while it doesn't run at 70mph like a Cummins diesel Ram 2500 does, it did fine for me keeping it at 55mph (I don't like going faster than that with a tow dolly anyway).
    Last edited by ScottD; 12-25-2006 at 08:39 PM.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I've towed my Spirit R/T with this truck with no problems, while it doesn't run at 70mph like a Cummins diesel Ram 2500 does, it did fine for me keeping it at 55mph (I don't like going faster than that with a tow dolly anyway).

Good for you. I hate it when people towing stuff and go like 5-15 mph OVER the speed limit.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I so want one of those....... I know where a ram is sitting

shelby dakota's are nice. i pass up one to buy a 90 dakota convertible. i'm swapping in a 360 mag. sense i'm gonna repaint it, i was thinking of getting the shelby stripe package for it. the fan was electric. there's only about 3 inches between the motor and the rad.