View Poll Results: Which turbo?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60 trim

5 62.50%
  • ''57 trim''

3 37.50%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to try ebay, but which one?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Going to try ebay, but which one?

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post

That right there is why it failed, the balance is totally gone and it just tore itself to pieces.

Thanks for the pic, shows what happens when you use cheap materials.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Probably did not help that his exhaust temps were hotter than the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    Probably did not help that his exhaust temps were hotter than the sun.
    True, but you would probably have to keep them around 1300 for that pot metal not to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    That right there is why it failed, the balance is totally gone and it just tore itself to pieces.

Thanks for the pic, shows what happens when you use cheap materials.
    Yup!

Look simon, we can agree on something...just as long as it doesn't have to do with a 8v VS 16v debate haha

well i guess that seals the deal on that one for me. Maybe i'll put a garrett turbine and housing on it and put it on my brothers motor. I'm gonna go with a gt series on mine.
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

matt, was the turbo the big shaft style? im thinking about picking one up and swapping my stock turbine/shaft/.63 into it.

when you bought yours did it actually say "57trim" or "60trim" cause none of the ones that ive seen from etd motors say this now.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

its because they were calling it a 57 and 60 trim and it wasnt
    :P

They were standard shaft.

The ones that use the 46 trim (''57 trim'') TO4E compressor side are the cheaper ones, they are usually around $125-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4...Q5fAccessories

The TO4B H trim (''60 trim'') ones usually have the 2.5'' V band swingvalve and dual port wastegate with them are are like $190-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4...Q5fAccessories

If I was ngoing to keep the shadow I was going to do exactly what you are doing. Stock turbine wheel and a .63 housing and use the 46 trim compressor side. Thats still a great combo and a turbo capable of 350 WHP easy. Just definitely have the wheels balanced.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

How did the overall castings look? The good garrett turbine wheel is ~$180 so to fix the turbo it is $180 for the turbine plus another $300 or whatever rebuild costs are these days. If the turbine housing and compressor housing/wheel are good then it might be an option.

That makes it $160 (turbo+shipping) + 180 + 300 = $640 so basically you get them $200 or so cheaper than the real deal (The same turbo from TU is $840 +core) but I imagine that if you do a rebuild it would be better to use a real garrett core anyway so that covers the core...

If you get the one with the wastegate and swingvalve it is 240 shipped and the wastegate and swingvalve would probably run you another 200 so that makes it maybe $320 cheaper. (200 + ( (wg+sv) - extra cost) ).

If I did this I would probably just use the housings and swing valves but then who knows if the sizes even match the real garrett wheels close enough to make it worthwhile.

-Rich

The turbine housing is OK at first, but after a few thousand miles it seemed like the metal got softer. I actually tried to strip the bolt hole out when I first put the turbo together, but couldn't. But after a few K miles I stripped them out accidently. But there is nothing wrong with the compressor side whatsoever.
    A new turbonetics turbo from TU is $695.
    http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/prod...roducts_id=187

In which case you might as well get a 50 trim and stage 2 .63 turbine housing.

The budget way is to rebuild the turbo yourself. Get yourself a stock T1 or T2 turbo, most of us atleast have a T1 kicking around so thats free. Buy the ebay turbo, I'll say $150 after shipping. Strip both of them down and clean the T1/T2 turbo good. Get a rebuild kit for hybrid turbo, $80 I think they are or so. Then get the new ebay compressor and stock garrett turbine balanced, not sure how much that is but maybe around $60. So right now we are up to $290, now we just need a .63 turbine housing. Even if you have to pick one up new, thats $200. So basically for $500 or less if you can find a used .63 housing you got yourself a fresh turbo capable of ~350 WHP. Not bad. And it sounds like Brian already has the .63 housing so he's looking at $300.

Edit- Just found a guy on ebay that if you buy his turbo rebuild kit for $78 he balances your rotating assembly for free-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GARRE...Q5fAccessories

Not sure if those are nice bronze bearings though, maybe ask him about it and for just a couple bucks more get an upgrade. I'm sure a 360 degree thrust bearing might be an option as well.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The turbine housing is OK at first, but after a few thousand miles it seemed like the metal got softer. I actually tried to strip the bolt hole out when I first put the turbo together, but couldn't. But after a few K miles I stripped them out accidently. But there is nothing wrong with the compressor side whatsoever.
    A new turbonetics turbo from TU is $695.
    http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/prod...roducts_id=187

In which case you might as well get a 50 trim and stage 2 .63 turbine housing.
    Even better. I missed that getting a new one built to order is cheaper than doing a rebuild and upgrading parts.

-Rich

-

turbo addict

I've dealt with that guy, my holset kit was money, even messed up a snap ring putting it back together (not enough hands or patience), gave him a call, and he sent me another one for the cost of shipping.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Edit- Just found a guy on ebay that if you buy his turbo rebuild kit for $78 he balances your rotating assembly for free-
    how do you send back a properly balanced turbo that you have to re-disassemble to put your turbo back together?
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    how do you send back a properly balanced turbo that you have to re-disassemble to put your turbo back together?
    Huh?

Even a turbo shop that does the balancing at the time of the assembly has to take apart the rotating assembly to install it on the turbo. From my understanding the wheels are balanced seperately, and then together to make sure it's still good. That means you should be able to install the wheel on and it doesn't matter if it's not in the same position.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Huh?

Even a turbo shop that does the balancing at the time of the assembly has to take apart the rotating assembly to install it on the turbo. From my understanding the wheels are balanced seperately, and then together to make sure it's still good. That means you should be able to install the wheel on and it doesn't matter if it's not in the same position.
    They balance the shaft and wheel and mark it so you can line it back up when you reassemble it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GARRE...Q5fAccessories

Not sure if those are nice bronze bearings though, maybe ask him about it and for just a couple bucks more get an upgrade. I'm sure a 360 degree thrust bearing might be an option as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    I've dealt with that guy, my holset kit was money, even messed up a snap ring putting it back together (not enough hands or patience), gave him a call, and he sent me another one for the cost of shipping.
    I deal with him exclusively(Ron's Turbo) and he is very VERY knowledgeable and excellent to deal with. If you need anything extra, he will discuss and work with you. He has SOME extra stuff on hand, so he has saved me several times.

Quote Originally Posted by "Top Fuel" Bender View Post
    Nope... You only send him the shaft, thrust bearing, and wheels. He balances them as an assembly only as that is all that's needed. If the wheels have never "hit" the housings, they'll be fine, but it is VERY difficult to balance them up after they have hit, so treat turbo internals like glass...

Huh?

Not quite, as he doesn't balance each piece separately. It is VERY important that you align it exactly as it's sent back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    They balance the shaft and wheel and mark it so you can line it back up when you reassemble it,
    Correct...

I am getting one back next week, so I'll post up picks of what it entails and will look like as I'm rebuilding one for a friend here on the fourm.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

i should put my ebay turbo back on my turbo car. Never had any problems with it. I wonder how it would spool on my current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    i should put my ebay turbo back on my turbo car. Never had any problems with it. I wonder how it would spool on my current setup.
    Which one do you have?

turbo addict

It was advertised as a "57 trim" but really its a K27..which has a similar map to a 57 trim but flows more.
    It was advertised as an O trim turbine wheel but that just isnt true since its a KKK turbo. I dont know what it is still.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post

Here is a smaller k27 7006 map. Frank does not have this one on his calculator.

This is the K27 7200. I dont really know which turbo I have since the "5327" # shows up on both maps and none of the other numbers are on the map to indicate which I might have.
    My impeller diameter is 2.25"
    Exducer on the turbine wheel is 2.375"

Here is someone else I just googled who has the same turbo. The same numbers on the backplate.
    The only difference is that this version has a to4b cover on it (i think thats what it is). Again, my guess is they are trying to hit up a different market with the same exact turbo.

turbo addict

Which one do you have?
    thats from some old ebay turbo thread we were both posting in. What happened to your ebay turbo?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast