View Poll Results: Which turbo?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60 trim

5 62.50%
  • ''57 trim''

3 37.50%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going to try ebay, but which one?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Going to try ebay, but which one?

Matt, is "ETD Motors" the seller that you got this turbo from?

...tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Matt, is "ETD Motors" the seller that you got this turbo from?

...tempting.
    Sorry I forgot to respond to this thread! Yes ETD motors is the seller I got it from.
    And so far so good on the turbo, boosting 20+ PSI for about 1000 miles now. I haven't checked the shaftplay lately, something I've been meaning to do but haven't gotten around to it.

I put one on my friends 16 valve car, it was the one that has the to4e compressor wheel and it said it was a 57 trim stage 3 turbine, its been a while but I think it measured 2.1" ind x 3.00" exd.
    Its been working great for about 8000 miles but he is only runnning 8 -11 psi.

The one I put on my car was like a to4b same turbine side as my friends but had the H trim wheel (2.29 X 2.75) and small to4b comp housing, It worked really nice for a little while but after about 500 miles of 18 psi it suddenly just quit boosting and upon further inspection the shaft of the turbo was bent badly.
    I still have the compressor side witch im thinking about putting in my car with a stage 1 .63 housing to see what it will do this spring. The H trim wheel is supposed to be good for 52 ppm but I havent found anyone running one yet to see how they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyturbo View Post
    I put one on my friends 16 valve car, it was the one that has the to4e compressor wheel and it said it was a 57 trim stage 3 turbine, its been a while but I think it measured 2.1" ind x 3.00" exd.
    Its been working great for about 8000 miles but he is only runnning 8 -11 psi.

The one I put on my car was like a to4b same turbine side as my friends but had the H trim wheel (2.29 X 2.75) and small to4b comp housing, It worked really nice for a little while but after about 500 miles of 18 psi it suddenly just quit boosting and upon further inspection the shaft of the turbo was bent badly.
    I still have the compressor side witch im thinking about putting in my car with a stage 1 .63 housing to see what it will do this spring. The H trim wheel is supposed to be good for 52 ppm but I havent found anyone running one yet to see how they like it.
    The one I'm running is the H trim To4B.
    I wouldn't run the H trim with a stage 1 wheel, probably surge a lot.

Just an update, checked the shaft play after 2000 miles and it's still nice and tight the same when I checked it at 500 miles. Been boosting 20-28 PSI on it.

Mitsu booster

I going to try the T3/60-1 version in the GLH for this spring.
    They said Big shaft...

i will Let you know how the thing goes

Matt, is that compressor housing T3 or T04E? It looks like about the same size as the TII housing, so I'm guessing it's a .60 A/R T3 compressor machined to fit the H trim wheel?

I know the TII compressor housing is deceptively large. I compared a .42 TII housing to a .52 TIII housing and the TII was actually larger diameter on the outside.

It's a TO4B compressor housing, a hair smaller than ''E'' housings. But the inside diameter (inside the scroll) is like twice the size of the stock T2 housing.

Ok thanks for all the info. Is there any way to tell for certain wether or not an eBay turbo is a T04E or T04B? It looks like the clamps on the backside of the housing are different between the two and typically T04E seems physically larger, but I don't know what else to look for. I don't really trust the specs they claim though. I want to try one of these on my Spirit R/T if the TII/TIII turbo I put together doesn't work out.

Well I haven't been able to measure the ''57 trim'' thats on ebay, but according to the specs that I've seen on it, it's either a 46 trim To4E or a TO4B ''super S'' trim. Can't actually say what it is without seeing one in person and getting out the calipers.
    The ''60 trim'' is the one I have, actually a H trim TO4b. For a 16V, honestly I would use the one I have. I've seen way too many of the ''57'' trims blow up. Also, the B wheels are good for 16v's anyway because they move a lot of air.

One final update....after almost exactly 1 year of massive abuse, 25+ PSI, I believe I blew a seal in the turbo. Today just sitting idling I was getting engolfed in a cloud of blue smoke.
    All in all it has about 4000 hard miles on it.

Well, guess it's time to upgrade. I'm thinking holset right now hehe.

lol i just PMed you a minute ago to see how it was holding up.
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Nice. You were writing the PM as I replied to the thread! Wow what a strange coincidence!

I think perhaps if you don't boost as high as I did you may fair out better. Plus I'm sure the chunk of piston that jammed the turbine that one time didn't help it out any LOL.

What swingvalve are you running with it? ATP?

well actually I am planning on going in the 25psi range. I havn't put it in my car yet, I'm just getting ready to start putting my engine together, and I was a little worried about using it so I PMed you to see how yours was holding up.
    How did you like it before it blew?
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

It made very good power and had good spoolup. Wasn't planning on changing a thing until this happened, was shooting for 11's and 400 WHP on 35+ PSI boost.
    Like I said though, it lasted a year. So you just have to decide how permanent/reliable of a setup you want. Is this a daily driver? My shadow isn't, thats why I took risks. Seems to have paid off, I mean a $200 turbo for a year on a 300+ WHP setup isn't bad.
    Depending on what turbo I go with, if I change from the ford style housing, I'm assuming you *may* be interested in my ATP swingvalve and downpipe? Just asking cuz I would PM you before trying to sell anything if you want.

Sounds to me like it's time to pull it apart and see how close the guts are to Garrett parts. Might be a $40 rebuild kit away from having it up and running again...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Sounds to me like it's time to pull it apart and see how close the guts are to Garrett parts. Might be a $40 rebuild kit away from having it up and running again...
    Heh, in my spare time! LOL

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

I havea a rebuild kit here for a dynamic seal turbo?? even has the 360 degree thrust bearing!!

Not sure what it has, still have to remove it which probably won't happen for a little bit yet. It's suppose to rain all weekend here and next week it's only suppose to be in the 40's for the high's. Global warming my azz.

Just 1 last update in case anybody was interested. I tore apart the turbo, uses all garrett components with a dynamic seal. I was surprised to find heavy bronze bearings, so the only conclusion I have the the shaft play is the wheels not being balanced well enough. The in/out play I contribute to the poor quality C clips wearing down.
    Another note, the turbine wheel measures as a garrett stage 3 but for some reason it has 12 blades, so I call it a stage 2.5 wheel. The wheel is worthless though, does not use high enough inconel content so with the heat of the exhaust is melted the wheel causing it to flare out and started rubbing the housing.

So, in conclusion the ebay turbo is NOT a good buy simply because of the crap metal the turbine wheel is made of. If the turbine wheel wasn't junk, I would say buy a ebay turbo and rebuild it with good quality parts.
    What I plan to do it make my own hybrid. Use the compressor side, and use a stock turbine wheel and find a .63 housing. Won't quite flow as well on the turbine, but should still be easily capable of 300-350 WHP.

One more note, I've now tried the ''60 trim'' AND the ''57 trim''. The 60 was $190 and the 57 trim was $120. The 60 trim is actually a TO4B ''H'' trim in a B housing(53ppm flow), the 57 trim is actually a 46 trim TO4E in an E housing (41ppm flow). The 60 trim lasted me 1 year and 4000 miles, the 57 trim lasted 2 weeks and 300 miles. So you still get what you pay for even with Ebay turbo's. But honestly I liked the way the E wheel spooled up and the power it made, so I'm going to make the hybrid out of the 46 trim also because the smaller wheel will be better with the smaller turbine side.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast