Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Indexing' distributor on the exhaust cam.

turbo addict

'Indexing' distributor on the exhaust cam.

Am I reading into this too far?

I've been doing research left & right on putting the distributor on the cam to run 8V electronics. Every thread on this says your have to index the distributor since it will now spin backwards. I agree on spinning backwards, but what do they mean by indexing it? Is this as simple a setting base ign timing or is there more to it? I can't find the info on what needs to be done.

On another note, is there anything that needs to be done with the hall effect or the pickup wires? Since the distributor is going in a CCW rotation now, the signals would be backwards as well. Instead of 1-2 like a normal 8V, the LM would be seeing 2-1(simplified). This is the last big problem I need to overcome aside from a mounting plate for the dizzy.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: 'Indexing' distributor on the exhaust cam.

You need to change the firing order of course but if I remember, you need to swap the pins in the connector for the #1 sync as now, its backwards. I don't recall anything being said about indexing?

Got pics of what your doing? It would sure make my life easier, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Maybe this will work. TIII/A413 using the TIII block because I have one and GLHS style electronics, stuffed in my GLHT. Not my car below, but you see the dizzy hold down on the exhaust cam. If the pic doesn't work here's a link. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...r-mounted.html

I figured it was going to be something simple like switching the pins around at the LM to reverse the pickup signals. I guess I did read too far into what needed to be done there. I can't seem to find my spare HEP to make sure the pickups were going to be looking at the same part of the trigger wheel.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Pics no go, have to be logged on to see. Just right click on them, go to properties, then right click, paste on here with [img][/img].
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

Ray
    If I were you I would cut the slot in the cam straight up and down 90 degrees when the motor is at TDC. That way it would be equal where it would be "indexed" on the 8valve. You know when the 8valve is at TDC the slot for the distibutor is parallel with the crank so I would set it up like how the 8v is stock. Then you just adjust timing like you would on the 8v

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Ray
    If I were you I would cut the slot in the cam straight up and down 90 degrees when the motor is at TDC. That way it would be equal where it would be "indexed" on the 8valve. You know when the 8valve is at TDC the slot for the distibutor is parallel with the crank so I would set it up like how the 8v is stock. Then you just adjust timing like you would on the 8v
    That doesn't really matter as you can rotate the dist anywhere you want. Its the fact its going backwards that makes it different.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Can we swap the plug-ins for the HEP? I know they're keyed so they can't be mixed up, but what if we cut the connectors off and soldered them into the opposite wires?

Just throwing it out there, I really don't know how that stuff works.

turbo addict

are you giving up on the spirit ray?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Can we swap the plug-ins for the HEP? I know they're keyed so they can't be mixed up, but what if we cut the connectors off and soldered them into the opposite wires?
    The thought cross my mind, but that's too labor intensive. I was thinking of just swapping some pins around on the LM.

Nope, not giving up on the Spirit. I'm gathering all the info I can and starting to collect parts. This probably won't be done for a while since I need to assemble the hard core bottom end and fix the ported head for the Spirit.

The pics are hosted on TD. Sorry about the blocking.

Labor intensive? You underestimate my enjoyment of using my soldering iron. But yeah, swapping pins would probably be easier.

Wonder if there's any way to modify the pickup itsself without breaking it so it could just be installed upside down?

turbo addict

Huh? I'll stick with swapping pins instead of fk'ing with things.

No sense of adventure.

turbo addict

hahaha You funny guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    The thought cross my mind, but that's too labor intensive. I was thinking of just swapping some pins around on the LM.

Nope, not giving up on the Spirit. I'm gathering all the info I can and starting to collect parts. This probably won't be done for a while since I need to assemble the hard core bottom end and fix the ported head for the Spirit.

The pics are hosted on TD. Sorry about the blocking.
    Pins at the LM would be simple to do.

Just IMG them, piece of pie.

turbo addict

rehosted on hpotobucket, not TD. Notice the adapter and dizzy hold down? I was reading too far into indexing it all.

Is that yours?

If so, who made it, how much? Closer pic,

It's mine, I had it custom made by a machinist buddy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	distributor mount front 12.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	7020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine complete turbo1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	7021  

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    hahaha You funny guy!!!
    Yeah, I know. Pulling this swap off will be enough of an adventure in itself.

Will you at least let me attempt some reinforcement of the front motor mount bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    It's mine, I had it custom made by a machinist buddy.
    Ok, I can get my machinist bud to easily make that. Did you have to extend the drive gear or with that plate, or is it a perfect fit?

How thick is that plate? Thanks, this will solve my timing belt issues and I can go back to using the stock size intermediate shaft pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Ok, I can get my machinist bud to easily make that. Did you have to extend the drive gear or with that plate, or is it a perfect fit?

How thick is that plate? Thanks, this will solve my timing belt issues and I can go back to using the stock size intermediate shaft pulley.
    The plate is 1/2 inch thick. The drive gear did not need extended. A slot did need to be cut in the cam. Per my machinist the hard part is not really making the plate it is getting it all lined up correctly. I had to take him the head and he used set pins. If you look close you can see them in the pic of the plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast