1. Suspension & Steering Systems
  2. How to lower an S Body Minivan

Ok, there are numerous ways and I have tried a few, so you can choose which ones to do or not or you found another way. First off, I wanted an aprox 2 inch drop as this gave me the best of both worlds, a lowered van but not enough that I can't haul or tow anything. So, first time around, I had the front stock coil springs squished 2 inches, Gabriel VST struts, cut the rubber jounce stopper 1 inch or so and this lowered it, durr, 2 inchs. The back, I dearched the leaf springs 2 inches and run Rancho 9 speed adjustable shocks-NO longer available. The back worked great but the front would rattle the dash over bumps, hard enough to rattle your teeth. I found this out to be the front struts bottoming out and causing it to act like solid suspension.

I then switched to used KYB GR-2 Shadow/Daytona/Spirit struts and cut the stock springs, one full coil and 4-8 inches-can't remember exactly how much. This lowered the front 2.5 inches-a bit too much but rides perfectly. Over time though, the old leaf springs have weakened and now its lower another 1/2-1 inch. This is ok but my load carrying has been compromised. I also have a 2nd Gen stock rear roll bar on. I had to weld the brackets on the frame as the van doesn't have the threaded plates, used muffler u-clamps to bolt on the brackets then tacked them on so they wouldn't move.

UPDATE
I've redone the front with Daytona Koni's and cut HD Minivan springs, handles better than its ever done. I did an aprox 2.5 inch drop. The springs are Spicer and are for a a/c equipped van, they were listed as HD with a/c. Rear, still waiting for the custom upper leaf spring but running the 5 leaf units. I tried the coil overs but the spring was was too harsh and didn't want to spend the money but they work nicely.

So, to recap on what I have done and others-

FRONT
Daytona struts and springs-3.5 inchs
Daytona strut and stock minivan spring-aprox 1 inch drop.
Daytona struts and cut mini springs-whatever height you cut them too.
Mini struts and HD Daytona springs-1 inch drop is what I am told.
Coil overs are another option from a Daytona-They work nicely-you can buy the coil over kits from FWD Performance, here's a link to Polybushings who made his own coil overs- http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=47378&page=3

REAR
There are two options for leaf springs, 4 and 5 leaf packs, you will find the 5 pack as a HD option on 1st and 2nd gen vans.
Dearch-max drop 2-3 inches
Custom shackles 4-5 inches
Modified shackles-looks like around 1 inch but what would work nicely is Dempseys rear kits then adjustable shackles to bring it back up. I don't know how safe they are though if you carry alot of weight or tow.

To see Dempsey's attempt, go to www.turbominivan.com. Reeves and others have removed leaf's to lower it but you will reduce its ability to carry any type of weight, so if you do this, you need to add air shocks or air bags. Summit has an airbag kit, "Air Lift 59520". Rob aka Ohio Rob cut out the front spring box's and redid them higher up, thus lowering the van without touching the spring. Alot of work, but another option if you have the equipment and fab skills.

I am getting new HD leaf springs done eventually, to cure the age weakening. Alignment-I am running -3/4 camber and zero toe, no excessive tire wear and handles nicely. I hope this helps, if you have any other info to add, please PM me.

NOTE-When I say Daytona strut, I mean 86 and up Shadow, CSX, Spirit, K-car, etc, basically any TM car but an L body. NOTE 2-I just found out that the 84-88 strut is a different length, aprox 1/2", I used an 87 spec strut.
Tags:

This page has been seen 3,376 times.

• Last updated by on