1. Calibrations
  2. Homebrew flashable SMEC

These are the files and instructions for setting up a 'homebrew' flashable SMEC. I am selling flashable SMEC's and SBEC's thru my BoostButton website. But, if you want to try and build your own, these are the original instructions and schematics that my module is based on. It's just a little more integrated and easier to setup. I actually have a SMEC setup using these instructions in my van. It works great.

I believe these were written up by Chad Clendening. Not sure if he's around at all anymore...

CONFIG

CONFIG

SmecFlash

This is a preliminary, to be improved.

This will program an Atmel AT28C256 EEPROM chip using a 6811 eval PCB. It should work with any 64 byte page write flash EEPROM also. Presently the page size is hard coded but will be made a setting shortly. Chips like 29EE010 require larger pages - 128 bytes.

This bootloader ONLY supports this type of flash. It will write ram ( one byte at a time) but cannot write eeprom / flash by the byte – only a Mot Hex File. The EEPROM must also be located in the 0x8000-0xffff location.

Support is planned for standard 29F0x0 / 39F0x0 flash chips, this requires a slight re-write of the bootloader.

It will save ram / internal EEPROM / external eeprom , basically any address in the memory map. To save a ROM, connect SMEC processor to power,ground,Tx,Rx and Bootstrap mode. Run smecflash. Memory actions -> special -> save program. It will ask for reset in bootstrap mode ( be sure bootstrap voltage is applied AND then reset power to SMEC), hit OK. Leave offset page alone – hit return. Set the starting address to c000 and finish to ffff ( IF EEPROM is to be saved use starting of b600 and then set EEPROM box to : enabled, start = b600 and EEPROM ( length) = 200). Hit return, program will be read in a few minutes.

SMEC power connections for desktop use:

Ground 4 & 5 ( signal ground)
Power 52 ( 8 volt in on car bit 15 is OK)
Boostrap 11 ( apply voltage, approx 23 volts )
Scanner Tx 51 to Intarface RECEIVE
Scanner Rx 31 to interface TRANSMIT
Unfortunatly it does NOT appear that a simple 1 wire SMEC FLASH can be done. It appears the /OE line is tied to the E clock wire. The /CE line is selected when the EPROM is needed.

To program a 28C256 chip:

Bootload it.
Then memory actions -> special -> flash EEPROM chip.
Load the hex file, leave offset alone and generally use default addresses to write.

Saving is like before, memory actions -> save program and give starting and ending addresses.

Chad
Tags:

This page has been seen 2,702 times.