1. Brake & Wheel Systems
  2. How to Add 11

Ok, there's a few ways, here are the ones I know, 1st Gen vans only, that is up to 1990.

If you want 11 inch brakes on your minivan that came with the wimpy 10 inch setup, this is the way to do it.

1. Find a 90 and earlier Grand Mini, long wheelbase or one with stock 15 inch wheels-these have 11 inch fronts BUT use 5x114.5 bolt pattern vs standard 5x100. You will need the knuckle and calipers, then buy new rotors for a Shelby Z, GTC, R/T etc and wheel bearings from a 90 and up car-they simply bolt on with 4 bolts. The knuckles will have the caliper mounting pad ears cast into it, so a one piece unit-no bolt on caliper adapter brackets.
  2. Find a pre 90 Shelby Z with the 11 inch setup, similiar to above but the correct hub but you'll have faster steering so your wheels will rub on full lock, so ignore it, run spacers or different offset wheels.
  3. This is a lot of work but I think the best way- Grab a 2nd Gen Van K-member-91-95, cast control arms, knuckles, then find a Grand or stock 15 inch wheel version and grab the calipers and caliper adapters. 91 and up cars and vans use the same caliper for 11" brakes but 10" brake calipers are different for both applications making a total of 3 different brake caliper options for the 91+ spindles. Caravan 10" brake calipers use a 60mm piston and have the mounting ears reversed to take 10" brake pads. Car 10" calipers have a 54mm piston with the same brake pad connections as the van calipers. If you use Minivan stuff, you will have to find some car wheel bearings as the van stuff is 5x114.5.

Car 10"
    CONFIG

Car/Van 11"
    CONFIG

Van 10"
    CONFIG

4. Another option, use a 2nd Gen Van K-member and any Lebaron GTC/Daytona or Spirit R/T 11 inch setup but the wheels will rub on full lock due to the tie rods being placed differently in the knuckle-that's the setup I am using, but I have 3/4 inch spacers so my wheels don't rub and it can now easily pull quick U-turns. One more option is to run the 91+ knuckles and brakes on the stock stamped arms, its supposed to give better alignment angles.
You can upgrade the master to a D150 or use the stock 24mm. I am using the larger one and the pedal is much firmer but if you have low engine vacuum, you will have a hard pedal. If I did it again, I'd most likely just stick with the stock 24mm unit.. Of course you can upgrade to braided lines, drilled rotors, ceramic pads etc. If you want matching 11 inch rear brakes, some fabbing is required as it is not a bolt, check the KC for links on how to do that.
Tags:

This page has been seen 2,883 times.

• Created by on
      Last updated by on