PDA

View Full Version : Special handling unit?

kingofvenus
01-15-2006, 01:01 AM
This is on a tag attached to one side of the identatag on the core support of an '88 shadow es 4dr that I'm parting out. (very rusty) Never seen one before, has anyone seen one or know what this might mean?

GLHS592
01-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Got a picture?

85shelbycharger
01-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Hmm I never heard of anything like that...could it have been some kind of prototype maybe?

Turbodave
01-18-2006, 06:42 PM
I've seen that before. It has to do with how the vehicle was processed on the assembly line. I'm not sure if it designates an ordered car or an early production or press model.

I do know it has nothing to do with the car's suspension.

TopDollar69
01-18-2006, 11:02 PM
The 88 Lancer Shelby that I parted had one of those tags. I will try to find it and take a picture of it.

TopDollar69
01-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Its a little rusty, but its still ledgible.

cordes
01-19-2006, 12:04 AM
My shadow has it on there. Right next to the vin tag with the RPOs on it. Directly to the right. It looks like the posted pic, except it is more rusty.

TopDollar69
01-19-2006, 12:32 AM
I know, it must have been a special package to make the cars rust more quickly than others.

cordes
01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I know, it must have been a special package to make the cars rust more quickly than others.

Actually my shadow is suprisingly rustless for a car up here. the tags under the hood are a different story though.

kingofvenus
01-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I got rid of what was left of the carcass before I could get any pics of it or the tag. You would've thought it was an L body as rusty as this thing was. My "fixed" SC was not as bad. Got lotsa good parts off it.

TheRedCSX
01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Both of the 5 spd Lancer Shelbys ('88 and '89) I had, had the special handling tag.
Not sure if the automatic 89 LS I had had that tag?

TurboMinivan
02-01-2006, 03:08 AM
It has to do with how the vehicle was processed on the assembly line. I'm not sure if it designates an ordered car or an early production or press model.

I do know it has nothing to do with the car's suspension.

Dave is precisely correct--this tag has nothing to do with the suspension hardware on the car. Just like the regular fendertag, this "bonus" fendertag is attached to the car to serve as a reference/instruction to the assembly line workers. Whereas the regular tag gives some information on the car's basic equipment, the "special handling unit" supplemental tag is a polite way of telling the line workers to pay close attention and not goof up on this particular car.

FYI

-Dempsey

turbo xtc
04-29-2006, 05:50 AM
it's a assembly tag kinda like "paint codes" on older mopars which is what the factory workers used to know if that part had to be reworked they would have to pull the part off and rework it or retool it and send it back down the line to finish assembly.if you are courius about handling pakage look in the engine bay and locate a metal tag that has numbers on it

BadAssPerformance
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Dave is precisely correct--this tag has nothing to do with the suspension hardware on the car. Just like the regular fendertag, this "bonus" fendertag is attached to the car to serve as a reference/instruction to the assembly line workers. Whereas the regular tag gives some information on the car's basic equipment, the "special handling unit" supplemental tag is a polite way of telling the line workers to pay close attention and not goof up on this particular car.

FYI

-Dempsey

That reminds me of the story about the car the plant manager ordered and everyone on the line was notified to take special attention to the car because it was for the plant manager. After receiving the car, the plant manager heard a rattle and took it to the dealer a few times for them to find it. Eventually found that there was a loose bolt (or something) encased inside the unibody that was mischeviously put there during the manufacturing process. They stopped notifying workers of that plant of 'special' orders...

cordes
05-04-2006, 01:33 PM
That reminds me of the story about the car the plant manager ordered and everyone on the line was notified to take special attention to the car because it was for the plant manager. After receiving the car, the plant manager heard a rattle and took it to the dealer a few times for them to find it. Eventually found that there was a loose bolt (or something) encased inside the unibody that was mischeviously put there during the manufacturing process. They stopped notifying workers of that plant of 'special' orders...

If I were a line worker that would be a page right out of my play book.

jaysshelby
05-04-2006, 02:46 PM
My 88 Shelby Daytona has one of those tags also. never really know what it was for. at least now I know a little more.