PDA

View Full Version : cals and blueberry and mindash oh my!

turboaddict
12-21-2006, 02:51 AM
so the project is getting close to being done and i need a cal. i have used e-manage before so im confident that i can program a cal if i know what i need to get and have..... what is the blueberry cal ? what perameters does the minidash cover? thanks for your help guys... just want to get whats best and whats needed the first time around!

cordes
12-21-2006, 12:29 PM
What electronics are you running?

Anonymous_User
12-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Blueberry is an '87 calibration done by Geoff Allen. Get it from www.moparchem.com. You can use his Chem software to modify it to your needs.

Ladybug is an '89 calibration done by Geoff Allen and can be had and modified as above.

You will need this:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3081

And a PROM chip for you ECU
And a PROM socket for your ECU

If you use an EPROM you need a UV eraser. If you use an EEPROM, the burner will erase.

Nothing is as satisfying and convenient as burning your own!

turboaddict
12-22-2006, 02:38 AM
well its 87 electronics, currently im just running a mopar stage 2, however the new setup has +40s bathtub head etc.... so obviously i need to make some fueling changes and timing changes.

Murphy
12-22-2006, 10:30 AM
blueberry is scaled for +20's and 3 bar

http://www.moparchem.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12

cordes
12-22-2006, 11:38 AM
well its 87 electronics, currently im just running a mopar stage 2, however the new setup has +40s bathtub head etc.... so obviously i need to make some fueling changes and timing changes.

OK, that is a pretty easy one as far as making cals goes then. You will be able to burn the chips easily by following my custom cal how to on my site. The rest of the info can be found at moparchem for sure.

Anonymous_User
12-22-2006, 06:31 PM
[quote[blueberry is scaled for +20's and 3 bar
[/quote]

And can be scaled for ANY injector or MAP.

Aries_Turbo
12-22-2006, 11:52 PM
yeah its easy and documented how to scale it on www.moparchem.com.

for the G-head, youll need some g-head spark curves. you can either look them up in an 85 cal and graphically input them as best as you can or you can get someone to mod blueberry with them

Brian

turboaddict
12-23-2006, 07:21 PM
couple more questions about the cal.....
so the whole setup reads as follows..
87 csx
a568
cb2.2
ported bathtub w/1mm over valves
mp 767 cam
tu header
turbonetics t3 t4 super 50 trim stage 2 exhuast
3 bar map
i plan on using a dyno and wideband to set it up. how aggresive should i basline the setup a to make it drivable to break the motor in before dynoing it? how about octane adjustment (we only have crappy 91 octane here) also what bout altitude compensation? i live at 6000 feet, but regularly go over the hill topping 12000 ft and down nto sacramento at 300ft. ?

cordes
12-23-2006, 07:35 PM
couple more questions about the cal.....
so the whole setup reads as follows..
87 csx
a568
cb2.2
ported bathtub w/1mm over valves
mp 767 cam
tu header
turbonetics t3 t4 super 50 trim stage 2 exhuast
3 bar map
i plan on using a dyno and wideband to set it up. how aggresive should i basline the setup a to make it drivable to break the motor in before dynoing it? how about octane adjustment (we only have crappy 91 octane here) also what bout altitude compensation? i live at 6000 feet, but regularly go over the hill topping 12000 ft and down nto sacramento at 300ft. ?

wow, that is going to be a fun one. If you have flow #s you can look at those vs. what a normal G head is known to typically flow and adjust the pumping efficiency table accordingly. You are really doing a lot to increase the vol. effeciency though with the larger turbine side, header, presumably larger exh, and the head.

The G-head will also need a bit more timing due to the lower compression it provides. You could probably copy those tables from an existing cal and go from there.

I personally would not want to make all of those changes and spend all of that cash without spending the extra couple hundred bucks to put a WBO2 in the car to have all the time. Especially since the elevation changes you see will alter the fuel demands drastically.

Aries_Turbo
12-23-2006, 08:24 PM
yeah a wbo2 is a must for proper tuning. i built the 2A0 DIY kit from www.wbo2.com. you cant dial the peftbl in properly and safely at WOT without one.

Brian

turboaddict
12-24-2006, 05:25 PM
yes a wideband will be installed, however is there altitude compensation maps? or will i have to have diferent chips to race in sacramento?

turboaddict
12-24-2006, 05:26 PM
also would it be easier to find a high end cal and mod that one to my needs?

cordes
12-26-2006, 10:32 PM
also would it be easier to find a high end cal and mod that one to my needs?

I honestly don't think so. IMO you would indeed need to have a couple of cals if you plan on running the car at 12K feet and tehn coming down to 1K feet to race. There is a huge difference in the fuel requirements at the two alts.

turboaddict
12-27-2006, 01:51 AM
well i just need to know if its going to die going over the passes, and if the cal will be flexible(like the factory) to adjust for altitude. obviously i need it dto be able to be somewhat flexible b/c of my geographic location.

cordes
12-27-2006, 02:04 AM
well i just need to know if its going to die going over the passes, and if the cal will be flexible(like the factory) to adjust for altitude. obviously i need it dto be able to be somewhat flexible b/c of my geographic location.

It wont die at alt. But to run in the most efficoent way performance wise.

ShelGame
12-31-2006, 12:07 PM
All of the stock (and stock-based custom) cals sample the barometric pressure at startup and at other times while the engine is running. You shouldn't need to radically alter the cal for high altitude...

cordes
12-31-2006, 12:30 PM
All of the stock (and stock-based custom) cals sample the barometric pressure at startup and at other times while the engine is running. You shouldn't need to radically alter the cal for high altitude...

Will the computer compensate for the alt. with additional boost at all? I know that at higher alt. a given ammount of fuel will support a much higher boost.

ShelGame
12-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Will the computer compensate for the alt. with additional boost at all? I know that at higher alt. a given ammount of fuel will support a much higher boost.

The boost is calculated as boost above baro. So, you would get the same boost in Denver as you would in Miami. But, the total pressure would be less and you'd still get the correct amount of fuel. On the other hand, because the PW tables are based on a calculated A/F, there's a chance that the A/F could change (slightly) if the baro pressure change was really huge...

You could easily re-write one of the boost tables to be a boost vs. baro table, if you wanted.

cordes
12-31-2006, 01:50 PM
The boost is calculated as boost above baro. So, you would get the same boost in Denver as you would in Miami. But, the total pressure would be less and you'd still get the correct amount of fuel. On the other hand, because the PW tables are based on a calculated A/F, there's a chance that the A/F could change (slightly) if the baro pressure change was really huge...

You could easily re-write one of the boost tables to be a boost vs. baro table, if you wanted.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

altered7151
12-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Ok, turboaddict and I had a long conversation about this on the phone the other night, and here is the question we have: So the computer will take a barometric sample, and then a manifold reading and figure out the boost pressure based on that and adjust accordingly. So lets say at sea level (14.7psi ambient) you're running 18 psi (this is all based on a manual boost controller by the way), but now you head up to Reno where we are at about 12.5 psi ambient. The controller doesn't know altitude and is still going to open at 18 psi above ambient, so basically you've lost 2psi due to the altitude change and are really running 16psi relative to sea level. Or you could say you're running the same psi at both areas, but with less oxygen content at higher altitude. Now this should be compensated for when at part throttle, but when you go to WOT, the O2 reading is ignored and just the tables are refered to. So a cal that is tuned in for sea level will be rich at altitude, and vice versa. So is line of thinking correct?