PDA

View Full Version : Connecting rods

BIG PSI
01-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Will the 2.2 rods fit the 2.5 turbo motor ?? If they do are they stronger than the 2.5 ? What about the aluminum race rods can they be used on my Mini driving it on the street ??

Chuck

:confused:

show-off
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Will the 2.2 rods fit the 2.5 turbo motor ?? If they do are they stronger than the 2.5 ? What about the aluminum race rods can they be used on my Mini driving it on the street ??

Chuck

:confused:

Yes, they will fit. You will want some T2 rods. The rods are all the same lenghth. The crank & pistons are different.

GLHSKEN
01-14-2006, 10:06 PM
TII rods are 2.5L rods :thumb:

Show-off... let's talk shirts

show-off
01-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Aren't 2.5 n/a rods not the same as 2.5T1 & 2.2T2? Only reason I said T2 is b/c the 2.2 had the LW from 86-88.

turbovanmanČ
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM
89 and up T1 rods are T2 rods. N/A rods are weaker. Don't use aluminium rods on the street.

BIG PSI
01-15-2006, 02:39 AM
89 and up T1 rods are T2 rods. N/A rods are weaker. Don't use aluminium rods on the street.

Ok, NO alum rods then, but my 1989 T1 rods are the same as T2 rods ??
Is that correct ?? Beside putting in ARP Rod Bolts and Nuts what else should I do to the rods. BTW, I sent the money order out today for the Weisco Forged Pistons for S-T-R-E-T-C-H. They are std bore. Last night I bought a COMPLETE T2 intake manifold setup for $200.00 delivered.

Yes SIMON, I still want to buy yours as well, so keep at it. Let me know how much to put on the Money Order when you are done with it. I have reserved a Custom Made Intake from Cindy, which will be going on RUBY. The tow piece from Simon will go on STRETCH and the one I just bought will go on PAT.

Try building three turbo vehicles all at once, what a chore...I promised my kids that PAT-STRETCH & RUBY will be done and ready for SDAC-16. My goals for each of these vehicles are such:

PAT should run some 13.90 with a mitsu, the two piece intake setup, and the t2 intercooler, uncapped on drag radials.

STRETCH should run some 13.65 with a garret, two piece intake set,
plus 20's, giant front mount I/C, the head off of OhioRob's Shelby when it was a 2.2 (8 valve), uncapped on P225-50x15 BFG Drag Radials.

RUBY should run some 12.10 maybe even a little quicker. This will be uncapped on slicks and N2O, the rest is hush-hush for now.

Chuck

John B
01-15-2006, 03:29 AM
[QUOTE]Aren't 2.5 n/a rods not the same as 2.5T1 & 2.2T2? [QUOTE]

I'm shooting from the hip here but I believe the n/a rods have press fit small ends instead of floating. In any case, when you use the ARP bolts you'll need to have the rod big ends resized. The small ends can be honed for your Wiseco pins at the same time, and many builders recommend adding an oiling hole in the top of the rod for pin lube. I recommend match weighting the rods when they are done.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Wow Chuck, we can run at SDAC-heads up, :thumb: Just need to save up and buy slicks as I just dropped a bunch of money on TIII parts, he was literally giving me them so I couldn't say no.

Anyhow, besides the ARP's and resizing, as John has said and what I did was have a hole drilled in the top to aid in oiling. I would highly recommend getting your engine balanced-mines smooth as silk, :nod:

Dave
01-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow Chuck, we can run at SDAC-heads up, :thumb: Just need to save up and buy slicks as I just dropped a bunch of money on TIII parts, he was literally giving me them so I couldn't say no.

Anyhow, besides the ARP's and resizing, as John has said and what I did was have a hole drilled in the top to aid in oiling. I would highly recommend getting your engine balanced-mines smooth as silk, :nod:

Simon would it really matter to balance everything? I know it would matter if we were rapping out to 8grand, but we're only shifting around 5,700 RPM's, so does the balancing really make a difference?

turbovanmanČ
01-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Simon would it really matter to balance everything? I know it would matter if we were rapping out to 8grand, but we're only shifting around 5,700 RPM's, so does the balancing really make a difference?

Yes, I ran 2- 2.5L engines without balance shafts and hard mounts. One would shake my van pretty good and got annoying really fast. The new one was balanced and its sooooooooooooooooo smooth. Also, it will be easier on bearings etc.