PDA

View Full Version : Sticky for buying parts????

looneytuner
12-17-2006, 11:56 AM
It never hurts to get an address, REAL name, and hard phone line number you can verify. (Just in case!) I have asked for this several times when it was a new member sellings parts. No one has been insulted by this so far.
I have even had a member of another forum (Massy Ferguson garden tractors) pick up a transmission in Memphis and drop it at my house in St. Louis at 3 am in the morning without ever meeting him.:nod:

Mike_Shepard
12-17-2006, 12:55 PM
I too think this would be a good Idea, Kinda weed out potential crooks

W.P._Turbocars
12-17-2006, 01:07 PM
+1
Gary

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I will direct this to Ken and FRank.

Turbulence
12-17-2006, 05:13 PM
On a related note, on one of the other forums I am on, first name and last initial are included in Join Date, Location, and Posts section. Without it you can't get on the forum. I like it. When messaging someone I can use their actual name, not just their screen name.

Martin R
89 Horizon

Frank
12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Well I dont think that me posting a sticky. However I think requiring someone to give you their phone number in a PM is more then legit if you want to buy something.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
The SRT forums, you must post your full name and address, phone number in your ad. Obviously old times need not but newbies should have too. The phone number should be checked also.

Frank
12-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Honestly. I think if you are buying parts, that should be the buyer poragative to find that information out. I don't think we have a moderator staff with enough time to police requirements for threads.

looneytuner
12-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Honestly. I think if you are buying parts, that should be the buyer poragative to find that information out. I don't think we have a moderator staff with enough time to police requirements for threads.

I agree with Frank. Just add the sticky for the younguns. The seller id is up to the buyer to verify via PM. Not on the forum.

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
I didn't say for mods to phone, that would be the customers choice, :p

BadAssPerformance
12-18-2006, 04:01 AM
Simon, I think what Frank means is that if we make a requirement for each post to have all that info, then we will spend all of our time policing classifieds instead of working on adding useful tech information, etc.

Also, I moved this thread to the "Board Discusssion" area.

Frank
12-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Ya that is what I meant.

turbovanmanČ
12-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Simon, I think what Frank means is that if we make a requirement for each post to have all that info, then we will spend all of our time policing classifieds instead of working on adding useful tech information, etc.

Also, I moved this thread to the "Board Discusssion" area.

Nah, most people will report, :nod:

vxvxAndrewxvxv
12-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Now that I think about it, I would ask for...

Full name
Address
Telephone Number
Social Security
Garage door security code and opener frequency
Credit Card #
oh and of course, the vin number on there cars.

In all honesty now, yeah, full name address and phone number would be nice. Avoid cell phones, and check the phone numbers against the reverse phone number searcher to verify name & address. http://www.whitepages.com/9901/reverse_phone

Frank
12-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Tell you what.... you guys have been around for awhile. Create me a guide for how to check if a seller is legit, and I will make a sticky saying much....

start writing it in this thread.

Frank

Mario
12-20-2006, 09:44 PM
In all honesty now, yeah, full name address and phone number would be nice. Avoid cell phones, and check the phone numbers against the reverse phone number searcher to verify name & address. http://www.whitepages.com/9901/reverse_phone

Some people aren't listed. Some people don't have a land line.

I say go on google earth, and have them walk outside of their claimed address and wave up at the sky so you can verify it's their place.

cordes
12-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Some people aren't listed. Some people don't have a land line.

I say go on google earth, and have them walk outside of their claimed address and wave up at the sky so you can verify it's their place.

That is probably the best way to do it.

In all seriousness there is going to be a risk anytime you purchase something without being able to see it before hand in person, let alone the person selling it. I think for the most part common sense will get you about as far as any other measures.

I still think that the best way to keep people in check is to have a swift and severe system to punish offenders, which I think we do. That keeps all those who care about their rep, or being on the board in check, and there is not much you can do about the rest of the true scammers.

Mike_Shepard
12-21-2006, 05:41 AM
It may be over kill and alittle too much general info but as you can see my addy stuff is now listed on my posts. I have nothing to hide and a doberman to protect it hehe

looneytuner
12-22-2006, 12:32 PM
How to purchase items on forum......SAFELY. Ask the seller to PM their name address and copper phone line to you. Verify this info to make sure you can recover your money if the merchandise is not shipped.
Save all communications between buyer and seller for proof if the deal goes bad.
The seller is safest with a Postal Money Order. This is what Polybushings does.
Pxxxxl has quirks that can leave the buyer OR seller left out in the cold by a scammer.
Example of quirk: Direct debit and deposit to and from your checking account. The buyer can come back and say "Someone was waiting at my house and signed for the $600 in wheels I purchased. I did not sign." Pxxxxl can deduct the money from your checking account. It is now up to you to prove the wheels were received by the buyer. This actually happened to a friend.
If the item is NOT received after a week, contact the seller by PM or email and save the communications for proof.
I use Pxxxxl charged not debited to a credit card. This means that I have the credit card to help me fight a spammer. Discover Card is my preference. They have always credited my account instantly over any disputed charges until a resolution is reached. The only time I was unhappy was when J C Wxxxxy double charged me on a backorder. Once when ordered and once when shipped. I didn't notice it till I was checking the books 6 months later.

vxvxAndrewxvxv
12-24-2006, 12:27 PM
If we make a stickey of how to buy, it might as well say, "how to scam"

its like putting out guidelines on what we will ask for, so they can have it ready.