PDA

View Full Version : Putting a traveller in the van, what parts do I need?

turbovanmanČ
12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Obviously the traveller and wiring but what else do I need?

DodgeZ
12-15-2006, 04:02 PM
The question is will it work right with a custom tune and different injectors? I am guessing you want it for mpg.

88_pacifica
12-15-2006, 05:01 PM
good point Kev... is it even possible to recal these travellers/navigators? I know that once you change anything, it's going to change the mpg. I've never heard of anybody being able to do this but if they could. I believe I'd spend some hard earned green to really see how it's doin under the hood. :D

JDAWG
12-15-2006, 05:09 PM
the compass should work, for the temp you need an ambient temp sensor behind the grill, but yea as far as mpg stuff, i dunno, does it use an output from the smec?

DodgeZ
12-15-2006, 05:11 PM
it might still work since it a change in the code. On my CTD truck once you toss those chips in the mpg stuff is wrong but that is a piggy back computer not a code change.

JDAWG
12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
i bet it would because even from the factory they dont list different smecs for with and without. So unless someone erased it in the code it still should be there. Get a pinout and jump a wire to it and see what happens. (or 2 wires or whatever)

DodgeZ
12-15-2006, 05:24 PM
I am sure the real info comes from the computer itself and the traveler is just a display unit.

88_pacifica
12-15-2006, 05:36 PM
That'swhat I was thinking. I wonder if that's maybe a feature that Cindy or Chris could offer as an option in a recal..? If so I think it would really help to gauge the fact of whether the condition of the car is "pig rich." Also it would help in mantaining the originality and the resell option. Am I the only one that thinks that would be cool?

turbovanmanČ
12-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Ok, so it uses an output off the SMEC? Ok, awesome.

It would be nice to see the MPG but temp is cool as is compass.

Is the temp harness part of all vans or seperate?

JDAWG
12-15-2006, 05:44 PM
yea thats what i was thinking, see i dunno how they do the cals, if its just modified stock cal then it should work because they are not diff from the factory, they all have it built in, i beleive the unit is just an actual display like kevin said. If its a whole new written program it may not work

JDAWG
12-15-2006, 05:45 PM
i beleive simon just get the sensor (should be $20 cause I just checked one out) and run wires to it

88_pacifica
12-15-2006, 05:49 PM
this sounds like a good thing... I bet Cindy would know. This may be a good question for a new thread....:rolleyes:

cordes
12-15-2006, 06:53 PM
The cal will need to be adjusted to compensate for the different injectors. I know I can do this with the blueberry cal. I can say that at least on the 87 cars the MPG was a linear function, so it is easy to use a hex to dec conversion to figure it out. I needed a bit of help with that part origionally, but now it is no problem.

If you are going to install the 20 button nav, I have a list of what wires do what on my site that I got from some where.

turbovanmanČ
12-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Great, thanks guys, :thumb:

86Shelby
12-15-2006, 07:47 PM
The nagivators take a signal from the computer that represents the injector pulsewidth. Then the navigator uses the signal to calculate the MPG, etc based on readings from the speed sensor and fuel level sender.

A cal that is set to run larger injectors will not work correctly with the navigator. Even though the computer is sending out the correct(actual) pulsewidth information, the navigator's program was not altered to calculate the flow differently. If you can figure out a way to get the pulswidth signal to leave the computer in an altered state you may be on to getting the navigator to read the correct MPG figures.

In other words....With a calibration modified for larger injectors the pulsewidth is shortened to get the same amount of fuel flow as stock injectors; the navigator thinks the stock injectors have the shortened pulsewidth.

I found that my GLHS was off by about 20% when I installed +20 injectors and then off about 35-40% when I installed +40s.

My R/T which has a +40/3bar calibration is also off about 35-40% when it comes to the MPG. There was no way I was getting 48MPG going into a headwind at 80 MPH on the way to SDAC15.

88_pacifica
12-15-2006, 09:17 PM
The nagivators take a signal from the computer that represents the injector pulsewidth. Then the navigator uses the signal to calculate the MPG, etc based on readings from the speed sensor and fuel level sender.

A cal that is set to run larger injectors will not work correctly with the navigator. Even though the computer is sending out the correct(actual) pulsewidth information, the navigator's program was not altered to calculate the flow differently. If you can figure out a way to get the pulswidth signal to leave the computer in an altered state you may be on to getting the navigator to read the correct MPG figures.

In other words....With a calibration modified for larger injectors the pulsewidth is shortened to get the same amount of fuel flow as stock injectors; the navigator thinks the stock injectors have the shortened pulsewidth.

Ok, I gotcha, but how hard would it be to alter the program itself, based on your modifications, that the signal actually goes to? You would have to know exactly what mods have been done and get a baseline, but I would figure that it could be measured to be pretty close based upon a percentage scale like you were getting when you actually had the modifications. I think that if this were incorporated into a cal then it would add to the marketability of that particular cal vs some of the competitors same adjustments. You would have to guard the secret though once you found the scale. Does this make sense?

cordes
12-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok, I gotcha, but how hard would it be to alter the program itself, based on your modifications, that the signal actually goes to? You would have to know exactly what mods have been done and get a baseline, but I would figure that it could be measured to be pretty close based upon a percentage scale like you were getting when you actually had the modifications. I think that if this were incorporated into a cal then it would add to the marketability of that particular cal vs some of the competitors same adjustments. You would have to guard the secret though once you found the scale. Does this make sense?

As I posted before the 87' code has the part you need to change identified. I am not 100% sure about the rest, but it should not be too big of a deal to find. Actually, I have got to believe that in Geoff's new SMEC code it is in there too.

88_pacifica
12-16-2006, 06:39 PM
^^ hmmm, I see... I guess I assumed that it was calibrated specifically for each individual car/powerplant and that each one had it's own "settings." However, you do bring up a good point and that it may be in that new SMEC code. Thanks Cordes!!:thumb: