PDA

View Full Version : O2 housing

ohiorob
12-14-2006, 08:17 AM
I have a 05 SRT motor and i'm started to port out the exhaust manifold around the flapper and some other places too.
the O2 housing is about 2 1/8 ID. looks like i can port it out to about 2 1/4 but not much more then that. my Q is is it worth it or do i make a O2 housing out of heavy exhaust tubing, 2 1/2 '' and will it hold up to all that heat.

waste gate, has anyone tried to tighten up the stock one. like cutting a 1/4'' off where its mounted too?

thanks

TurboGLH
12-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I had a spare stock o2 that I ported out, and it seemed to me that it wasn't worth the work to change it for the mild increase I'd get. The biggest thing to making one last if it's made out of exhaust tubing is the support brackets, if you duplicate the bracket it takes the load off of the tube and welds.

If your in the mood for porting, right after I bought my car I was trying to find a p/n for a larger reverse rotation comp wheel. I ended up calling MHI's American headquarters and talking with a gentleman in the general machinery division. He was familiar with the srt turbo as well as the new and unreleased s3 and offered me some advice. He told me that a light port job on the outlet of the turbo, removing 1mm from the walls had showed a decent improvement in power, but a large drop in egt's.

ohiorob
12-14-2006, 09:32 PM
thanks Chris. what waste gate are you using?

TurboGLH
12-15-2006, 01:42 AM
thanks Chris. what waste gate are you using?

Home built. I used the adjustable garret actuator from a T3, cut the arm way down and built a bracket for it. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. Not worth the amount of time that I had into it to make it fit right and clear both the head and the probe for my egt gauge.

You've only got a few options, modified stock from FWD or turbochargers.com, billet from AGP, garret adjustable with bracket (like mine) from FM, or the "kinetic" that's sold under by a bunch of different companies under their own name.

I don't know anyone who's used the first option.

The agp and the fm should be very close in performance but the agp allows for disassembly and replacement of the spring which is a nice feature.

The "kinetic" is supposed to have a stronger spring than the agp, but with that comes the surging at part throttle (it get's pretty bad with the stock turbo). If you go this route the best one to buy is from PTP (check the srtforums) they weld a nut onto the shaft to allow for easy adjustment while on the car, no having to reach back with a pair of vice-grips.

mpboost
12-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I have a Maxxfab 3" O2 housing on mine, and it has a nice support built into it. It uses the factory support bracket which many aftermarket O2 housings don't use. I did a lot of research, and I couldn't find any cases of the Maxxfab unit breaking.

I also have the stock O2 sitting on my bench, and I agree it doesn't look like it could be opened up too much. I'd say you are probably better off having the stock turbo manifold ported out and have it matched to a 3" O2 housing.

I am considering running a Forge WGA because I don't want to modify my top heat sheild. I have Stage 2 so I was hoping to run 19-20lbs peak (as oppose to the 17lbs it runs now). What do you think? Any feedback on that WGA?

86lance
12-15-2006, 11:49 PM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/249625880.html

3 inch housing for sale

Keito
12-16-2006, 06:42 AM
I have a Maxxfab 3" O2 housing on mine, and it has a nice support built into it. It uses the factory support bracket which many aftermarket O2 housings don't use. I did a lot of research, and I couldn't find any cases of the Maxxfab unit breaking.

I also have the stock O2 sitting on my bench, and I agree it doesn't look like it could be opened up too much. I'd say you are probably better off having the stock turbo manifold ported out and have it matched to a 3" O2 housing.

I am considering running a Forge WGA because I don't want to modify my top heat sheild. I have Stage 2 so I was hoping to run 19-20lbs peak (as oppose to the 17lbs it runs now). What do you think? Any feedback on that WGA?

Can you still use the heatshields with the Maxxfab 3" housing?

mpboost
12-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Can you still use the heatshields with the Maxxfab 3" housing?
Yes, I still have both of mine on. Fits fine with no modification at all.

The only difference is there is one bolt in the lower heat shield that is no longer used. This bolt went into a mounting boss on the stock O2 which the Maxxfab does not have. But the heat shield is plenty sturdy and has 4 other bolts securing it.

ohiorob
12-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I have a few actuaters, I'll make one of them work.
I ported out the o2 housing but still may make one. I also ported the turbo outlet from the wheel back.

thanks guys for the very useful info.