PDA

View Full Version : I got a Question about a V8

Rebel Rob
01-14-2006, 01:59 PM
OK ... I have a question about a Chevy V8 it is out of a 93 truck its the 5.7L 350 cubic inch and the trans in these trucks are junk.... and I'm looking into using a Muncie out of an old Chevy and they talk about splines and I don't know what they mean and would the splines be part of the crank or the fly wheel... if its part of the fly wheel would I be able to find a fly wheel that has the right size spline and teeth fro the starter and bolt patter for the crank and then I could use what ever Muncie I wanted as long as the spline is right ... does that make sense if no if anyone has any ideas let me know...its been sitting for over a year and I'm desperate to get it fixed... thanks... Rob

turbovanmanČ
01-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Please don't post tech issues in the lounge.

NOw, onto your question. The 700R4's aren't junk, just misunderstood, the eariler ones went thru alot of changes and can easily take a 500hp big block, if thats what you have. What is this going into to, the Muncie into your truck or engine into something else? If Muncie into your truck, thats going to be alot of work as you need pedals, the hydraulic system, fab a crossmember etc. They do make 5spds that bolt in or use a 6spd out of a GM car, :D

The flywheel on your engine is different than the original one due to yours has a one piece rear main seal. There are different size flywheels due to tooth count but you can get any size flywheel you want for any year and ditto with the starter.

As for spline count, I think they mean input shaft splines and mating to the clutch. Just count the splines and make sure to get the correct clutch. This will bolt up but your going to need a hydraulic throwout bearing setup. You can try Mcloeds, and search the internet for more info and tranny shops.

Rebel Rob
01-16-2006, 02:07 AM
misunderstood????? yeah right everyone says there junk....and are expensive to rebuild... and even harder to come by... now on to the muncie....I'll need different pedals even tho my truck is already a standard??? my truck has been down for over a year so any ideas you or anyone has please let me know... I would like to rebuild it so I don't have problems with moving the shifter ect.... how hard is it to rebuild a trans ... would it be possible for someone with very little experience with trans or even car work be able to do it... or should I leave it to the pros... thanks

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2006, 02:57 AM
misunderstood????? yeah right everyone says there junk....and are expensive to rebuild... and even harder to come by... now on to the muncie....I'll need different pedals even tho my truck is already a standard??? my truck has been down for over a year so any ideas you or anyone has please let me know... I would like to rebuild it so I don't have problems with moving the shifter ect.... how hard is it to rebuild a trans ... would it be possible for someone with very little experience with trans or even car work be able to do it... or should I leave it to the pros... thanks

Ok, you need to fill in the blanks dude, what tranny do you have in there now-I guess its a 5spd as you have pedals, need info, :p

Tony Hanna
01-16-2006, 03:31 AM
What is it in? You mentioned that the engine is out of a '93 truck, but no mention of what vehicle it's in now (or going into). When it comes to smallblock Chevys, the parts exist to make just about any engine/trans combo you could think of bolt together using off-the-shelf parts. We just need to know a little more about what you're working with so we can tell you what you need.
Engine = '93 truck 350
Trans = older Muncie. What model specifically (ex. m21, m22, etc)?
Vehicle= ? Standard or auto? If standard, linkage or hydraulic clutch? 2 or 4wd?
Give us the details and we'll tell you what will and won't work and where to go about finding the parts you need.

Rebel Rob
01-16-2006, 03:33 PM
OK, you need to fill in the blanks dude, what tranny do you have in there now-I guess its a 5spd as you have pedals, need info, :p

Yes the truck is a 5 speed stock trans 2wd

What is it in? You mentioned that the engine is out of a '93 truck, but no mention of what vehicle it's in now (or going into). When it comes to small block Chevy's, the parts exist to make just about any engine/trans combo you could think of bolt together using off-the-shelf parts. We just need to know a little more about what you're working with so we can tell you what you need.
Engine = '93 truck 350
Trans = older Muncie. What model specifically (ex. m21, m22, etc)?
Vehicle= ? Standard or auto? If standard, linkage or hydraulic clutch? 2 or 4wd?
Give us the details and we'll tell you what will and won't work and where to go about finding the parts you need.

OK the truck is a 1993 Chevy Silverado ,Standard, 2wheel drive
Trans= right now its the stock new venture trans nv3500 I believe
Engine=Stock 5.7L 350 cubic inch

is that enough info ????? if not let me know I'll try to fill in any blanks.... Thanks... Rob

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2006, 06:21 PM
You can that Muncie to fit but its gonna be a pain. The flywheel is fine, just get the clutch for the Muncie and it will bolt up. You will need the Muncie bell housing, this will bolt up. Get one of Mcleods integral throwout bearings-it has the slave and bearing built in together-phone them on that, splice into your stock system. You will have to fab a crossmember and maybe have to cut or modify the floor for the shifter and you will probably need to modify the shifter as it will be too short. Driveshaft might need shortening/lenthening and a different yoke attached. It will take time but should workout fine.

BTW, yes, the NV3500 is hard trans to get parts for and to work on, if its the one thats all aluminium and the bellhousing is part of the trans. Never known it to be a piece of sh@t, you must beat on it pretty hard.

Rebel Rob
01-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Naw I never really beat on it 15000 some thousand miles stock trans and clutch.. the clutch went and it went to pot.... and my trans is the all aluminum one... I found a rebuilt kit on ebay... its $145 but I'm nervious about rebuilding a trans..... Rob

Tony Hanna
01-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Simon hit it pretty well dead on with the tranny swap. I wasn't aware that the stock 5 spds in those trucks had an integral bellhousing, but then I haven't fooled with one much newer than '87.
Before you give up on rebuilding your stock trans, talk to your friends locally. You never know who's father in-law, uncle, cousin, or whatever works at a tranny shop and does some work on the side. I've seen a bunch of good work done like that and often for not much more than beer money.:thumb:

Rebel Rob
01-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I wish I had those resources... Ive exhausted all of them... you know the right people I guess

Tony Hanna
01-23-2006, 03:18 AM
I hear ya, just thought I'd throw that out as an option. If you still want to do the Muncie swap, I swear I remember something GM in the '80s using a hydraulic clutch setup against a bellhousing with the right bolt pattern for your Muncie. I know the 5 spd. Camaros and T/A's did, but the bolt pattern was oriented so that it put the trans on a slant.
I've got a friend that has an '87 4wd. It started life as a 4 spd truck and as I recall used a hydraulic clutch. The next time I talk with him I'll confirm that, and if it's the case, it would be a money saver if you could find that type of bellhousing/slave cylinder setup used. Then all you'd have to do is run the '87 flywheel and clutch and modify your driveshaft if necessary.

Rebel Rob
01-23-2006, 08:40 AM
ok cool thanks man

steve
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Just another thought for a tranny option - a T56 6 speed..

The NV3500 is 10 spline, as is the muncie (I believe).. So if you have a good clutch now, you can probably re-use it..

You have to use your style flywheel, as the it is a balanced part of the rotating assembly. (Basically its the last counterweight and has a big notch out of the back).

If you wanted to go automatic - a TH350 would be an easy bullet proof swap that would cost you less money and time...

Rebel Rob
01-23-2006, 09:11 PM
whats the t56 trans out of and what whould i need to do that a 6 speed would be awsome

steve
01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Probably your best bet would be a 93+ camaro with the smallblock..

Tony Hanna
01-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok, just talked to my friend with the '87. It did have a hydraulic clutch, so there's you a bellhousing and slave cylinder. If you can find one used it should be pretty cheap.

Rebel Rob
01-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Is something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-GM-Tremec-T56-6-Speed-Transmission-GTO-Camaro_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQitemZ8033 272693QQrdZ1 be what ur talkin about... it looks alot like the trans i have now??????

turbovanmanČ
01-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Is something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-GM-Tremec-T56-6-Speed-Transmission-GTO-Camaro_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQitemZ8033 272693QQrdZ1 be what ur talkin about... it looks alot like the trans i have now??????

Thats nothing like your present trans. You will need a kit to make the clutch work as that has a reverse pull style setup vs yours with a push style setup.

Rebel Rob
01-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Just another thought for a tranny option - a T56 6 speed..

I was just asking if this was the trans he meant... I know that is an opposite trans of what I have now... A guy my dad works with who is the guy I bought this truck off of's bro gave him a number of a guy that has a lot of trans and is selling them he got it out of one of those parts trader papers you can pick up at the gas station... So tomorrow on my breaks between classes which is actually me just walking to classes I will be calling this guys and see what he has to say... If not I found one for sale which has a 12month unlimited warranty... but once I get this truck fixed I'm going to try to get rid of it if anyone's interested.. have pics..new clutch the guy I bought it off of said the motor was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago when I bought it now maybe about 10,000 more to that...

turbo xtc
08-15-2006, 02:26 AM
i have found out that if you buy a used 700r4 take the pan off the bottom break the filter apart and look for washer parts i have seen a lot of these trans bust the thrust-washer which is a washer that cushions overdrive when it engages always check before you buy if you installed a bad one or have a bad one when it engages o/d it will make a kerchunk sound or they will slam into o/d costly to find out after you install one

Aron
10-28-2006, 11:56 AM
If you're considering the T56, make sure it's from a 93-97 LT1 Camaro Z28 or Trans Am. The newer T56 from an LS1 car will not work.

Mom'sTurboVan
10-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Please don't post tech issues in the lounge.

NOw, onto your question. The 700R4's aren't junk, just misunderstood, the eariler ones went thru alot of changes and can easily take a 500hp big block, if thats what you have. What is this going into to, the Muncie into your truck or engine into something else? If Muncie into your truck, thats going to be alot of work as you need pedals, the hydraulic system, fab a crossmember etc. They do make 5spds that bolt in or use a 6spd out of a GM car, :D

The flywheel on your engine is different than the original one due to yours has a one piece rear main seal. There are different size flywheels due to tooth count but you can get any size flywheel you want for any year and ditto with the starter.

As for spline count, I think they mean input shaft splines and mating to the clutch. Just count the splines and make sure to get the correct clutch. This will bolt up but your going to need a hydraulic throwout bearing setup. You can try Mcloeds, and search the internet for more info and tranny shops.

well said turbovanman. i still maintain that GM/Chevy manufactured THE BEST auto trannys for any vehicle. TH-700R4, TH-350 AND TH-400 are all very good auto transmissions. these things can take a thrashing and still come back for more. 700R4's came in all auto Third Generation F-Bodies (Camaro/Firebird) and ive seen them hold up very well.

Aron
10-29-2006, 09:16 AM
well said turbovanman. i still maintain that GM/Chevy manufactured THE BEST auto trannys for any vehicle. TH-700R4, TH-350 AND TH-400 are all very good auto transmissions. these things can take a thrashing and still come back for more. 700R4's came in all auto Third Generation F-Bodies (Camaro/Firebird) and ive seen them hold up very well.

I agree. The 4L60E (electronic 700R4) that comes in the 4th gen F-body and light trucks are decent transmissions. Alot of the racers say they are junk because they break them, but they will hold a decent amount of power before they let go, and then it's usually because of abuse or lack of maintenence. GM trannies are also known to be extremely efficient as far as loss of power through the drivetrain.