PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions on planning engine build

Holley
01-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Tomorow I'll be pulling apart the big end etc, so I'm into serious territory, lol.

I know the usual signs of wear on bearings, checking the rods for being out-of-round and that kinda stuff, but you guys seem to really like Plastiguage. Thats not available here, so has anyone got further tips on checking things without using it?

Also, in the FAQ on engine building tips, I have no idea what #11 is about!

87glhs232
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Also, in the FAQ on engine building tips, I have no idea what #11 is about!

11. When removing/reinstalling the pistons, Use thread protectors to save the crank. (vacuum hose works awesome)

The big ends of the rods have threaded studs for the caps. Put vacuum hose over the threads while your installing them into the block and onto the crank. Once you have that rod seated on the crank, take the hoses off and install the cap. It's just to protect all the expensive machine work on the crank and cylinder walls. :)

As far as not having plastiguage...ummm....I guess extra vigilance on your measurments. Make sure your math skills are worthy! Maybe have some sent from the states?

EDIT: Summit sells it (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=plastiguage&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp)

Holley
01-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, it makes great sense now :)

Because of the amount of postage Summit charges for overseas (like $35 for a breather cap, lol) I'll do without ... I'll just double check everthing and write down all the measurements!

As ever, thanks for the advice :)

Holley
01-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Looks like I'm going to need a rebore, found some water damage in one of the bores I'd missed on my first inspection :(

Anywho, is there any reason the cambelt wheel on the end of the crank won't just pop off like the rest?

87glhs232
01-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Yep.... It's a pain and you have'nt cursed at it nearly enough :) Depends on if you have the 4 bolt or 5 bolt pulley. Don't even try a regular gear puller (with arms), you need one like a steering wheel puller. Heat helps too. Here's a thread over at TD:
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78567&highlight=crank+gear+removal

It's a PITA!

Holley
01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks :) It's a four bolt, so I'm off to buy a steering wheel puller, thats another tool I've gotta buy! I needed one anyway, lol.

87glhs232
01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
:) it's not a project unless you get to buy a tool :thumb:

Holley
01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm on about 5 so far :D

5sp. mini
01-16-2006, 06:19 PM
they make a puller for 2.2 and2.5 only it removes and installs it too. O T C makes it. use a mic to check for roundness on the crank. just have the rods resized. al

Holley
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Since I've not got the crank out yet I've yet to see what the bearings are like ... you never know, they might be nice evenly worn ... hahaha not with my luck ...

Dominic
01-19-2006, 09:10 PM
James, I want to convince you to rethink not using plastigauge......Makes life SOOOOO much easier.....

While 'googling', found http://www.plastigauge.co.uk/,

they have a 'retail pack' available for £6.75, may be a better option for you.

John B
01-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, it makes great sense now :)

Because of the amount of postage Summit charges for overseas (like $35 for a breather cap, lol) I'll do without ... I'll just double check everthing and write down all the measurements!

As ever, thanks for the advice :) Send me your address and I'll send you some. I have plenty left over from my rebuild.

Holley
01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the offer (and to Bobr, who also offered), but I'll go with Cooter's suggestion :)

I went into three places that supply tools etc to auto shops, I said 'plastiguage', and they just looked at me blankly, I explained what it was for, and they still looked at me blankly ... by now I should know to check the internet first, lol.

87glhs232
01-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the offer (and to Bobr, who also offered), but I'll go with Cooter's suggestion :)

I went into three places that supply tools etc to auto shops, I said 'plastiguage', and they just looked at me blankly, I explained what it was for, and they still looked at me blankly ... by now I should know to check the internet first, lol.
Silly England :lol:

Holley
01-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Yeah, there's alot of people resistant to change, even when it makes life easier ... ho hum.

Dominic
01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Were you able to get some plastigauge???

Holley
01-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I will be able to get it, but its been on hold for a couple of weeks 'cause I went and bought another car (and explaining to the wife that I'm taking one apart while the new one doesn't work didn't go so well ...).

Should be off to the machine shop at the end of Feb though (after my next paycheck ;)).