PDA

View Full Version : getting junkyard 86 GLHS...

roachjuice
12-10-2006, 02:21 AM
don't know the number because someone decided they would take the plaque..... :( if it isn't a real one then don't fake it... please..... all it needs is the frame on the front to be straightened up..... no mods... un molested!!!!!! sold my 85 IROC Z28 for this car..... so i hope it is worth it.... keep you posted... will take pics!!!

mpgmike
12-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Congradulations. I know there are guys here that can find out first if it is a genie or not, and if so what number yours was originally (I can't but SDAC guys can). Welcome to the Turbo Mopar crowd. We're mostly cheap suckers that get a thrill out of going fast for not alot of money. The '86 GLHS is a super light weight car that can be incredibly fast, even in mostly stock form. Have fun and keep us posted.

Mike
www.PowreHaus.com

Directconnection
12-10-2006, 10:25 AM
The GLHS will run circle around your old IROC Z. It may not get you as many trailer park dates (hehe sorry...IROC Zs are the center of redneck, mullett wearing redneck jokes...)

Got any pics of the GLHS?

If it's a GLHS, it should have the speedo overlay sticker. Normally, an Omni only goes to 85mph... so Shelby added a sticker that stretches it further to 125 I believe. There are other ways to tell besides the VIN# which is the most accurate for obvious reasons, but I never even seen a 1986 GLHS in person, so I'll let others chime in.

Congrats on the score and the saving of an important car for this community.

BadAssPerformance
12-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Congrats!

+1 on pics!

And if you post the VIN, someone with the list can tell you what number it is.

roachjuice
12-10-2006, 01:16 PM
i have been around TD's before.... friend has a mini that does 13.5 and a shadow that does 13.9.... i've always wanted an omni... and yea that iroc got old after awhile... put a cam headers full magnaflow exhaust you name it i have done it to that car. besides pull the heads off..... and it still ran a 15.3... soooooo i sold it.... and found this and everyone of my friends was like "why??? why a 4 door ecnobox?" i said that is the beauty of it!!!! BTW i'm getting it monday... hopefully.... maybe tuesday.....

JeremyL
12-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Congrats!

I'm still searching for a 86 -S car project myself.

roachjuice
12-11-2006, 03:40 AM
The GLHS will run circle around your old IROC Z. It may not get you as many trailer park dates (hehe sorry...IROC Zs are the center of redneck, mullett wearing redneck jokes...)

Got any pics of the GLHS?

If it's a GLHS, it should have the speedo overlay sticker. Normally, an Omni only goes to 85mph... so Shelby added a sticker that stretches it further to 125 I believe. There are other ways to tell besides the VIN# which is the most accurate for obvious reasons, but I never even seen a 1986 GLHS in person, so I'll let others chime in.

Congrats on the score and the saving of an important car for this community.

i hate to see cars like this just sit there and rot away!!! or when a car is build and just sits in a garage..... if cars were ment sit in one spot then they would have square tires...

Directconnection
12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
i hate to see cars like this just sit there and rot away!!! or when a car is build and just sits in a garage..... if cars were ment sit in one spot then they would have square tires...

You mean like this one? My beater R/T I call Joe Dir/t

roachjuice
12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
You mean like this one? My beater R/T I call Joe Dir/t

yea lol is there any way to find out the number by vin code???? and it is a real shelby!!!!!! 950 bucks!!!! it does have exhaust.... but missing the plaque on the dash and don't know the number....:mad: so if there is anyway to find out the number without it... let me know... also it doesn't have the original wheels on it... the center caps say "ARE" what are they?? i think Lemans wheels but not sure

GLHS069
12-12-2006, 09:28 AM
ARE wheels are american racing equipment. Probably aftermarket wheels. And if you give us the last 6 digits of the vin # we will be able to give you the #. the last 6 digits should start with a number 2.

tryingbe
12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Put the vin number already.

Directconnection
12-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey... he's new so he's wasn't sure.

roachjuice
12-12-2006, 01:11 PM
265811 are the last digits

roachjuice
12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
ARE wheels are american racing equipment. Probably aftermarket wheels. And if you give us the last 6 digits of the vin # we will be able to give you the #. the last 6 digits should start with a number 2.

i have seen those wheels here
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3740/proto.html
on the omni.... exactly the same wheels.... also the car came from texas and was last tagged in 1999...

ShelbyMotorsports
12-12-2006, 01:20 PM
265811 are the last digits

That vin belongs to car #314 shipped to K&M Northfield Dodge in Grand Rapids.

We still need you to post pics so we can tell you more.

Steve

roachjuice
12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
sweet!!!!! thanks!!!!! so i got #314!!!!!! how did you find that??? yea its sitting at my mom's house and i'm going over there in a little bit to get it running.... it was cranking over but stopped.... so i got to see what the hell the deal is.... and i will take pics... couldn't yesterday too dark....:thumb:

roachjuice
12-12-2006, 11:06 PM
so i got some pics but they are on my phone and i have to wait for my roommate to get home so i can bluetooth them to his phone thus getting on the net..... is there any easy way to get to the fuel pump??? and i want a walbro 255 pump.... where to get one.... and this car has been sitting since 99' so what is the easiest way to drop the fuel tank.... and one more ? is there a clutch safty switch on these cars??? if not then i need a starter.... how hard is that to change.... thanks
brandon

cordes
12-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't believe that there is a clutch safty switch. Aslo, the starter is realtivly easy to change, but it is a real doozy the first time you do it.

roachjuice
12-13-2006, 12:15 AM
well here's what happened... we were trying to push the "lightweight" omni that hasn't moved in well over a year with 2 flat tires in the front... so my genus A$$ decides "hey how about i put it in gear and turn over the car with the starter thus moving the car form the holes it is in!!!!" it worked... but tried to start the car and wouldn't start... no starter action :( poop.... oh and i was trying to take off the cam cover on top and the damn thing won't come off!!!! i thought it was just 3 bolts... am i wrong?? 2 on valve cover and one in the middle on the bottom...

85shelbycharger
12-13-2006, 10:00 AM
well here's what happened... we were trying to push the "lightweight" omni that hasn't moved in well over a year with 2 flat tires in the front... so my genus A$$ decides "hey how about i put it in gear and turn over the car with the starter thus moving the car form the holes it is in!!!!" it worked... but tried to start the car and wouldn't start... no starter action :( poop.... oh and i was trying to take off the cam cover on top and the damn thing won't come off!!!! i thought it was just 3 bolts... am i wrong?? 2 on valve cover and one in the middle on the bottom...

Haha, I've pulled those cam covers probably three dozen times now and I still have trouble with it everytime! Just keep working it and it'll come off evenutally.

roachjuice
12-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Haha, I've pulled those cam covers probably three dozen times now and I still have trouble with it everytime! Just keep working it and it'll come off evenutally.

i even got the big pliers out lol

tryingbe
12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
oh and i was trying to take off the cam cover on top and the damn thing won't come off!!!! i thought it was just 3 bolts... am i wrong?? 2 on valve cover and one in the middle on the bottom...

Should be 9 bolts.

4 on the corners, 3 in the front and 2 in the rear.

85shelbycharger
12-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Should be 9 bolts.

4 on the corners, 3 in the front and 2 in the rear.

No, we're talking about that pesky, little cam gear cover :p

tryingbe
12-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh that thing.

Yeah, 2 nuts and 1 bolt and pull really hard.

roachjuice
12-15-2006, 02:56 AM
well here are some pics http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/myomnimotor.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/myomni2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/myomni.jpg

JeremyL
12-15-2006, 03:14 AM
freakin sweet. Good luck putting it back together!

If I was still in Texas I'd try my hardest to talk you out of it.

roachjuice
12-15-2006, 03:20 AM
but i live in oklahoma:D yea it looks worse than what it is...

Marcus86GLHS
12-15-2006, 05:51 AM
someone must've loved it at one time: they took the effort to put on a shelby valve cover.

glad to read you are repairing the car, good luck.

mpgmike
12-15-2006, 09:30 AM
I believe they came stock with the SHELBY valve cover and 2-piece intake manifold.

Mike

tryingbe
12-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Not for the 86 GLHS.

Clay
12-15-2006, 10:35 AM
VC no, intake yes.

bobr19
12-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh that thing.

Yeah, 2 nuts and 1 bolt and pull really hard.

Once you get it off--do some trimming in the motor mount area--also open up the radius of the curve above crankshaft--it'll come off easy :thumb: from then on--or just leave it off like some guys do:D --bob

roachjuice
12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
some late 86's did come with the shelby VC if im not mistaking..... this one was made 7/86... the only mod that i know about is the 3inch turbo back exhaust.... and the shifter cables are ****** up..... kinda hard to put in gear..... feels like the only gear it will go into is 1st.....

Marcus86GLHS
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
"...some late 86's did come with the shelby VC if im not mistaking..... "

really? i never knew that and have never seen that documented but i suppose anything is possible. but, werent all 500 cars converted at Whittier in a very short period of time, like 10 weeks total from 1st one to last?

we need our resident shelby experts here.........

shifter cables? so that would be another mod, all these cars got rod linkages with the a-525, so maybe yours had a trany swap (a-555)?

ShelbyMotorsports
12-15-2006, 12:43 PM
we need our resident shelby experts here.........

How about this. I own the very last 1986 GLHS sold/shipped by Shelby Automobiles and it came with the Chrysler Turbo Valve cover.

Clay
12-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I guess you'll do! ;) hehehe

Marcus86GLHS
12-15-2006, 12:56 PM
bingo, thanks.

paisley_pirate
12-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Man, you lucky dog!

I was just in Tulsa last weekend... kept thinking, I oughta be looking for a TD around here instead of at home...

Congrats on the find. Hopefully (actually fairly soon) I'm gonna be getting serious about finding one (got rid of 1 of 3 t'bricks, going back to american iron)

roachjuice
12-16-2006, 12:38 AM
turbo bricks are awesome!!!!!! well i guess i was wrong... maybe it's not a stock VC:D going to drop the tank tomorrow and see what kind of poop will come out.... i might even get video of it running....

Marcus86GLHS
12-16-2006, 05:57 AM
while you have it all apart up front look at the drivers-side of the block, just below the head, and check the # stamped on the block and compare it to the car's vin and let us know if the numbers match.

TopDollar69
12-16-2006, 06:44 PM
An omni shouldnt have a cable shifted tranny. It should be rod shifted.

roachjuice
12-17-2006, 12:36 PM
rods thats what i ment!!!! one of the rods is hitting the turbo housing on the intake side.... i'm hoping its just from the wreck and the body shop will straighten it up... keep you guys posted... going out there tomorrow to finish up some things...... i want to do the SLH brakes.... were can i find the part #'s to do so???? i work at a parts store so getting them is no problem....

speedyshelby
12-17-2006, 10:51 PM
http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/slhpkgs.htm

roachjuice
12-18-2006, 10:42 PM
more pics...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random004.jpg

roachjuice
12-18-2006, 10:46 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/random011.jpg

cordes
12-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Wow, those wheel are like taking a trip in the way back machine. I considdered that weight style on an al rim OLD when I started busting tires which was over 7 years ago now, and a career back. I know there are guys looking for those on occasion though since they were centurian lookalikes which were apparently popular for GLHs etc.

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 12:34 AM
i like em!!!!! i haven't seen them before...

blk86trbo
12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Dude! Do not use cinder blocks to hold up your car!!! They are know to crumble!!!

BadAssPerformance
12-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Dude! Do not use cinder blocks to hold up your car!!! They are know to crumble!!!

+1, been there, done that.

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 01:34 AM
don't worry i took it off today..... i did realize that....:eyebrows:

Marcus86GLHS
12-19-2006, 06:38 AM
tuff pix to look at. ouch.

so looks like you're missing the dash plaque, the konis, the centurions, the mobil one oil plaque, and the steering wheel, someone was very thorough in stripping this car of the shelby-specific items.

i'm curious: does the driver's side door jam still have the made-by-shelby sticker? thats the tuffest thing to replace. do the numbers on the block matching the VIN?

..........somehow i cant help but imagine that 3" exhaust contributed to the front end damage.

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
tuff pix to look at. ouch.

so looks like you're missing the dash plaque, the konis, the centurions, the mobil one oil plaque, and the steering wheel, someone was very thorough in stripping this car of the shelby-specific items.

i'm curious: does the driver's side door jam still have the made-by-shelby sticker? thats the tuffest thing to replace. do the numbers on the block matching the VIN?

..........somehow i cant help but imagine that 3" exhaust contributed to the front end damage.

didn't look for that.... will look today when i pass by there.... does anyone know what is the easiest way to drop the gas tank???? i'm pretty sure i have a half tank of 13 octane in there.... and what should i wash it out with???

boostboy
12-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Great find! Now you have the task of putting the car back to its former glory good luck with it!

ShelbyMotorsports
12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
.... someone was very thorough in stripping this car of the shelby-specific items.

Don't forget the turbo hood and the vin matching engine/tranny.

There's a thread on td.com where the previous owner recognized the car and posted that he removed most of the Shelby parts to make a GLHS clone.

Marcus86GLHS
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
".....the previous owner recognized the car and posted that he removed most of the Shelby parts to make a GLHS clone......."

that explains a lot. what a shame he didnt stay with this one and do the necessary repairs. but, its ROACHJUICE's benefit to get the car so cheap i suppose.

so was the original engine also removed? if you have a real glhs by the VIN, and the #'s matching engine, that's a great starting platform. you can always chip away at those missing shelby items since those are not serialized.

85shelbycharger
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
That's awesome that you have a chance to get the original dash plaque back! Good luck!

And they did strip a lot of the Shelby parts...but why would you leave the Shelby V/C and two piece? :p

Mysterio
12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Can anyone gimme some info about my car?

Last 6 digits of the VIN are 313783.

I don't know if it's an origional shelby charger or not and i'd like to know. From what I was told it was, but you can never be too sure can you?

Marcus86GLHS
12-19-2006, 05:11 PM
".....but why would you leave the Shelby V/C......"

thats not the correct v.c. for an '86 glhs. the correct v.c is identical to the one used on all glh turbos. shelby added a mobil 1 plaque to the v.c. just to the right of the oil filler cap. but the v.c. was identical to the glht part.

85shelbycharger
12-19-2006, 05:32 PM
".....but why would you leave the Shelby V/C......"

thats not the correct v.c. for an '86 glhs. the correct v.c is identical to the one used on all glh turbos. shelby added a mobil 1 plaque to the v.c. just to the right of the oil filler cap. but the v.c. was identical to the glht part.

Yea I know that, I was just saying how I can't believe that someone who knows that this stuff is would send a Shelby v/c and two piece intake to the junkyard.

Marcus86GLHS
12-19-2006, 05:35 PM
good point i didnt think of that.....maybe the previous owner who i understand has been identified will let us know.

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 07:18 PM
hey its a start... the last thing i am worried about is "matching #'s" i just want the thing on the road... i made a parts list...
need radiator
new tires all 4
pads
rotors
and what ever you guys think i would need to make this thing road worthy...

86Shelby
12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
hey its a start... the last thing i am worried about is "matching #'s" i just want the thing on the road... i made a parts list...
need radiator
new tires all 4
pads
rotors
and what ever you guys think i would need to make this thing road worthy...

A core support?;)

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
hahahaahahah :thumb: yea the guy i bought the car from is giving me one... from an all motor omni....my girlfriend is soooo pisssed off at me for buying this car!!!! kinda afriad to run the car without the radiator.... the most it has run was maybe for a min.... and also on the back side of the intake there is a sensor on the passanger side and somesort of vacuum thing on the driver side.. where in the hell does the vacuum thing hook up too???? i think that is whats causing it to idle at 2500-3000 rpm....

cordes
12-19-2006, 10:18 PM
hahahaahahah :thumb: yea the guy i bought the car from is giving me one... from an all motor omni....my girlfriend is soooo pisssed off at me for buying this car!!!! kinda afriad to run the car without the radiator.... the most it has run was maybe for a min.... and also on the back side of the intake there is a sensor on the passanger side and somesort of vacuum thing on the driver side.. where in the hell does the vacuum thing hook up too???? i think that is whats causing it to idle at 2500-3000 rpm....

It goes to the brake booster. That is a pretty big vac leak for sure when you forget to hook it back up.

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 10:40 PM
It goes to the brake booster. That is a pretty big vac leak for sure when you forget to hook it back up.

:thumb: thanks man... the line is like dry rotted and looked like it just snapped off!!

cordes
12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
:thumb: thanks man... the line is like dry rotted and looked like it just snapped off!!

It probably did LOL.

roachjuice
12-19-2006, 10:53 PM
you might can answer me this... what is the proper way to adjust the shifter linkage on an L body??

86Shelby
12-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Put the shifter in nuetral between 1st and 2nd. There is a pin on the shifter housing on top of the transmission. Unscrew that and put it in backwards. When it is fully inserted the shifter mechanism is locked into place; it may take some wiggling of the linkage to get the pin in correctly. Now crawl under the car and loosen the clamp on that main shifter tube. Adjust the position of the bottom of the shifter to have the mark on the shifter and reverse lockout line up. Hold it there and tighten the clamp. Put the pin in teh transmission back the way it was and you are done.

roachjuice
12-21-2006, 12:37 AM
well that worked!! now whats the easiest way to take the fuel tank out???

86Shelby
12-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Spray penetrating lube on the bolts securing the two straps. Spray penetrating lube where the fill neck goes into the tank. Unscrew the screws around the gas cap. Disconnect the fuel lines and vent hose. Unbolt the 2 straps. Wiggle. Strain. Push. Pull. Curse. Wiggle some more to get tank out. The filler neck can be a PITA. Reverse to install.

cordes
12-21-2006, 01:30 AM
In all liklyhood, you will break the studs that hold the bands up. I just pulled out the pieces that were the studs from under the back seat. They are under the sealer back there. Then I used some 1/4" threaded rod along with some washers and nuts to make some new studs. The threaded rod is much, much easier than using bolts.

roachjuice
12-21-2006, 01:54 AM
cool i got this stuff called PB Blaster... good ----!!!!! so i don't have to drop the rear suspention??

cordes
12-21-2006, 01:58 AM
cool i got this stuff called PB Blaster... good ----!!!!! so i don't have to drop the rear suspention??

Glad you discovered it. You will want to buy a case. Just keep it out of your eyes, because it really burns. You should not have to drop the suspension. It will take some wiggling around for sure, but it will come out.

roachjuice
12-21-2006, 02:11 AM
hahah yea... that stuff eats through a Styrofoam cup!!!

glhsclone
12-21-2006, 11:46 PM
The reason why we didnt get the valve cover or intake was when the car got hit and smashed the radiator core and hood up so bad it was mangled closed.Me and my Dad(who was the owner of it) didnt have enought time to fully strip the car before the tow truck came to pick it up at home.we swapped out the entire interior,and i mean everything,full suspension,and centurions.Roachjuice has been over and seen my car with the 314 plaque he might not have noticed because of the rest of the car,to much to look at.Still have everything for 314 though,gonna have to make him a good deal to get the car back together.

roachjuice
12-22-2006, 01:43 AM
The reason why we didnt get the valve cover or intake was when the car got hit and smashed the radiator core and hood up so bad it was mangled closed.Me and my Dad(who was the owner of it) didnt have enought time to fully strip the car before the tow truck came to pick it up at home.we swapped out the entire interior,and i mean everything,full suspension,and centurions.Roachjuice has been over and seen my car with the 314 plaque he might not have noticed because of the rest of the car,to much to look at.Still have everything for 314 though,gonna have to make him a good deal to get the car back together.

yea i would like everything for the car.... i think i have your # tried calling but no answer...yea his car is NICE!!!

Mopar_Nutz
12-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Nice! If this car gets all back together we'll have to call Disney to come make a movie! hahaha

GLHS592
12-22-2006, 09:26 AM
the last thing i am worried about is "matching #'s"

One of these days, I think you might regret that. I wouldn't just butcher the car and I'd save EVERYTHING that came off the car. I'm not trying to make you mad or anything. I just think you should take your time and do it right. I wouldn't do anything in haste just to get the car on the road.

Just some friendly advice...so please don't take it the wrong way. :thumb:

roachjuice
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
One of these days, I think you might regret that. I wouldn't just butcher the car and I'd save EVERYTHING that came off the car. I'm not trying to make you mad or anything. I just think you should take your time and do it right. I wouldn't do anything in haste just to get the car on the road.

Just some friendly advice...so please don't take it the wrong way. :thumb:

i know maybe down the road i might wanna have the matching numbers thing... i didn't take it the wrong way....:thumb:

ShelbyMotorsports
12-22-2006, 03:13 PM
i know maybe down the road i might wanna have the matching numbers thing... i didn't take it the wrong way....:thumb:

In my opinion roachjuice actually has the perfect GLHS to modify to the max. It already has a total vehicle loss in it's history and probably would never bring any serious money down the road, not that any of the Whittier cars will, so I say go full out on making it a high performance road machine. In the event down the road collectors show some interest in the GLHS there are enough "clean titled" GLHS's to fill their desires for a stock one.

And the best part is roachjuice will be able to tell people he has put a whoppin on, "yup it's a real Shelby".

Go for it roachjuice and make Carroll proud.

Steve

Marcus86GLHS
12-22-2006, 04:23 PM
on the block matching the VIN: with this particular example car since it got so effed up the "matching #'s" isnt a big deal, but, i was just curious about the fate of the original block. why? because any numbers-matching engine block installed in any collector car is always a sought after item.

so i'll ask again: is the original block in the car and if not do you know its' fate?

roachjuice
12-23-2006, 12:45 AM
i'll have to look... yea thats what i'm going to do with it... but i'm going to drive this car everyday... i want to run high 11's to low 12's with it.... i think it will be easy.... i know the car has the "SALVAGE" title... i don't care about it though.. i've always wanted an omni glhs.... not worried on how much the car is worth... i'm going to do what the car was ment to do.... HAUL ---!!!!:thumb:

cordes
12-23-2006, 12:58 AM
i'll have to look... yea thats what i'm going to do with it... but i'm going to drive this car everyday... i want to run high 11's to low 12's with it.... i think it will be easy.... i know the car has the "SALVAGE" title... i don't care about it though.. i've always wanted an omni glhs.... not worried on how much the car is worth... i'm going to do what the car was ment to do.... HAUL ---!!!!:thumb:

THat is a lofty goal, and it won't be easy just so you know.

roachjuice
12-23-2006, 02:48 AM
ok how about i aim for 12.99999 first...:D

Marcus86GLHS
12-23-2006, 09:04 AM
ok how about i aim for 12.99999 first...:D

here's a helpful bit of info for that goal:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/632619

roachjuice
12-23-2006, 10:05 AM
i'd be happy to run that!! :thumb:

roachjuice
12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
well update time...
took the gas tank out and well just as i suspected...rust... so.... i ordered a new one for 160... not too bad.... i also need a fuel pump and sock....kinda rusted too.....i do have pics but on my buddies camera... the gas looked like antifreeze... surprised it ran.....:)

cordes
12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
well update time...
took the gas tank out and well just as i suspected...rust... so.... i ordered a new one for 160... not too bad.... i also need a fuel pump and sock....kinda rusted too.....i do have pics but on my buddies camera... the gas looked like antifreeze... surprised it ran.....:)

If it were me, I would get a new Walbro 255LPH pump from one of the vendors. You reuse your stock hanger, and put that upgraded pump in for less than what most places charge for a new standard one.

roachjuice
12-28-2006, 01:52 PM
yea thats what i was thinking... i can get a stock one where i work for 50 bucks... but why not go all out.... i looked on fwdperformance.com and seen some on there for 120 or so... might go that route.... i also need 4 new/used tires... can't find any cheap around here.... anyone have the hook up????

cordes
12-28-2006, 02:31 PM
yea thats what i was thinking... i can get a stock one where i work for 50 bucks... but why not go all out.... i looked on fwdperformance.com and seen some on there for 120 or so... might go that route.... i also need 4 new/used tires... can't find any cheap around here.... anyone have the hook up????

Check out tirerack.com, or discounttire.com for some decent prices. They are hard to find used/cheap in a 205/50r15 these days for the most part.

ShelbyMotorsports
12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
yea thats what i was thinking... i can get a stock one where i work for 50 bucks... but why not go all out....

Don't forget the 1986 GLHS has TWO fuel pumps unless its already been converted previously to a single pump.

Best advice is to go with a single walbro pump and make sure the factory secondary pump is removed or you will have a restriction in your fuel flow.

Steve

roachjuice
12-29-2006, 01:03 AM
i didn't see any other fuel pump.. where would it be??? and thanks again for all the answers!!! yea i found some tires on tirerack.com for 50 a piece...

cordes
12-29-2006, 01:21 AM
i didn't see any other fuel pump.. where would it be??? and thanks again for all the answers!!! yea i found some tires on tirerack.com for 50 a piece...

it might have been converted to run the in tank pump only before you picked it up. There was an inline pump forward of the tank, and one in the tank origionally.

roachjuice
12-29-2006, 01:33 AM
yea that wasn't there... see i wish i could get ahold of the guy who had it before me... i have his number and he knows i have the car.... but will never answer!!!!!! he has the plaque and all the glhs stuff!!!! he should know what is done to the car...

ShelbyMotorsports
12-29-2006, 05:40 PM
it might have been converted to run the in tank pump only before you picked it up. There was an inline pump forward of the tank, and one in the tank origionally.

Again make sure the secondary pump has been removed from the car. I seen numerous times where people don't know about this secondary pump or where they just disconnect the wiring from it.

If it is left inline it will cause a restriction especially under boost and you know what happens next (can't find a smiley that goes kaboom)

Steve

roachjuice
12-30-2006, 03:28 AM
will look tomorrow and take pics.... i need a few things still...

roachjuice
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff003.jpg
old rusty tank!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff006.jpg
nice new tank!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff010.jpg

roachjuice
01-01-2007, 10:58 PM
more pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff016.jpg
i was wondering how to clean the turbo inlet housing?? looks pretty nasty.... and also on the old tank on top there is a vent tube... i can't get it out... is there any way to make it out of something else??? and where are those numbers on the block??? i can't find them...

Birddog
01-01-2007, 11:00 PM
DAMN!! Rusty ol everything!!!

Still a sweet score:D

roachjuice
01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
:D :eyebrows: what should i do with all these vacuum lines???? should i replace them??

mcsvt
01-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes replace all the lines if possible.

james
01-02-2007, 05:49 AM
great find! im envious!

roachjuice
01-07-2007, 01:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/mobite/theomnistuff017.jpg

roachjuice
01-07-2007, 01:56 AM
second pic i have no clue what the hell this is can someone fill me in.... the fourth pic i think is part of the pcv system... does anyone have any pics of their pcv system on a 2 piece... and the stock vacuum block i have no clue where the vacuum lines go.... thanks...
more to come!!

csteffee
01-07-2007, 08:48 AM
OK. I apologize...My previous post was for vehicles for out-of-state "Junked" titles. Assuming you do have a "Salvage" title this is what you do.

In order to be able to tag your car in Oklahoma you will need to get a "Rebuilt" title from the DMV (OAC 710:60-5-54) . FIRST and FOREMOST, SAVE ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!! When the car is finished and roadworthy (the better the shape the easier this will be) you'll need to fill out a "Vehicle Inspection Request Form" (OTC Form 788-B). The OTC will call or write to you within ten days with an inspection place and time. You should receive an "Authorization for Travel and Inspection" form (OTC Form 788-C) so you can drive the car to the inspection site. Be prepared for a THROUGH inspection. Take your 788-C, your receipts, your title, your CURRENT liability insurance information and say three "hail marys" (if you are an athiest a shot of Wild Turkey will suffice) when you leave. Take a good book.

RULES:
1. The vehicle repairs must be fully completed (as in paint, body, etc.) before the inspection

2. Obviously the VIN number on the car and the title must match. They will check for alteration of the VIN Plate, run a background check on the VIN number and cross-reference the title description.

3. They will inspect the parts you used for roadability and safety (hence the receipts) so use new parts if you can especially in safety related areas (brakes, suspension, etc.). If not possible use remans. Use as few "used parts" as possible (get receipts if you do). If you do use them tell them that new parts are not available (the car IS twenty years old).

4. An odometer check for roll-back will be administered.

The inspector will fill out a Rebuilt Vehicle Inspection" form (OTC 788-A) Which you should get a copy of.

If you pass. Congratulations you'll feel you just went through a body cavity check but, you will receive a rebuilt title.

If you fail. God help you. All is not lost, but it gets complicated. You will have to go through the entire process again but, you will need a letter from your local law enforcement on your behalf before you can get another inspection. Ah, your state government at work.

That's why it is important to do a good, solid, thorough rebuild. Which is what you wanted to do in the first place.

86Shelby
01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
The second pic is the EGR transducer(or something like that). It helps control the EGR valve properly.

The third pic, with the vacuum lines can be found on Dempsey's site, www.xmission.com/~dempsey ? Google turbododge and dempsey, you'll find it.

Third pic is where the PCV valve would hook up. A large rubber T is what is missing there. they can be picked up at the dealer, just ask for one from a TII 87 Daytona. There should have also been a tube that would have gone to the air cleaner. That tube connects to the 3rd part of the T.

I dunno what pic 4 is; not enough stuff to reference around it. maybe the dipstick tobe hole??

GLHSKEN
01-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Pic 4 is the dipstick hole

Clay
01-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I dont think the GLHS is suppose to have an EGR.

johnl
01-07-2007, 01:59 PM

50 state car. Has EGR.

There should be a vacuum diagram on the bottom side of the hood. Also the core support plastic tag will reference EGR too.

BadAssPerformance
01-07-2007, 02:34 PM

'86 GLHS does, '87 Does not.

roachjuice
01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
ok so i wanna upgrade the brakes... hardcore!!!... i want 11inch rotors in front and just rear disc.... i don't wanna change the master cylinder yet.... what do i get the parts off of.... remember i work in a parts store... so its no big deal to get parts... the only thing i can't get is the caliper brackets..... i read the SLH upgrade thing like 3 times... and all they do is the 10 inchers.... on the front do i use the stock brake hoses?? which pads?? which rotors??? which hub?? seen drilled and slotted rotors on ebay for a sprit and a daytona will they fit??? on the back do i use the stock shoes for the parking brake??? thanks for all the help!!!!
i wish for this car to be on the road!!! :thumb: oh and one more ? on the gas tank on top of it there is a vacuum thing.... think it might be a vent tube of some sort... anyway the stock one broke:( can i use something else or is it a dealer item?? thanks again:thumb:

firebaron90
01-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Find a daytona shelby, or lebaron gtc turbo, and you can score the 11" front, and vented rear disc brakes. You can also grab the master cyl, and prop valve, and you have it all.

Joe

roachjuice
01-11-2007, 12:52 AM
ok this maybe a real dumb ? ok i was at work today and was board so i started looking for fuel pumps....looked at the stock one and the GPH (gallons per hour) was 55.... so to convert GPH to LPH i took 55 and multiplied it by 3.78.... came out to be 207.9 LPH... is this right?? if so why would i want a 255LPH fuel pump?? is it that much more fuel?? and what would be the limit on the stock pump??

roachjuice
01-29-2007, 02:09 AM
update:
i got my fuel pump from cindy at FWD performance (thanks!!!!) and was wondering what do i have to modify to make it fit???also ordered a boost controller on ebay for 10 dollars.. figure i would give it a shot.... still need tires...

cordes
01-29-2007, 11:50 PM
update:
i got my fuel pump from cindy at FWD performance (thanks!!!!) and was wondering what do i have to modify to make it fit???also ordered a boost controller on ebay for 10 dollars.. figure i would give it a shot.... still need tires...

The pump should come with pretty much everything you need to make it work. Once you get the old one out and get the new one in the mail, you will realize what needs to be done.

Clay
01-29-2007, 11:51 PM
and while your changing it, be sure to go ahead and change the short pieces of rubber fuel line that connect to the pump and fuel filter. Be sure to get Fuel Injection hose and the proper clamps as well.

roachjuice
01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
will do! and does anyone have pics of vacuum lines on a t2 car??? i plan on rerouting all of mine.. and some are broken and don't know where they went..

roachjuice
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
update: well got it running good with the new AFPR and now it sounds like a boxer engine. missing. well i think its a fuel problem. whats the easiest way to take the injectors out from the 2 piece intake?

BadAssPerformance
02-26-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6723&highlight=injectors+piece+intake+remove

Capt'n Dave
02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I have a 86 shelby charger that sat for ten years with nasty gas in it,so i dropped the tank the first time to clean it out,if there is fuel in it,you can drain 90% of it by removing the rubber cap beside the fuel out and return line, it is located on passenger side in front of rear tire,i went back with stock turbo-pump from advance for around $60.00 ,dont forget to replace the pick up screen in the tank and put a new fuel filter on it also... with the bigger pump you may want to change out the fuel line going to the regulator with a 3/8" line and the old fuel line use it for your return,oh Yeah,SPRAY THE HELL OUT OF THE STRAP BOLTS AND wire brush them prior to attempting to remove,you dont have to drop the tank to replace the pump,just be careful when you pry on the tangs on the retainer ring,congrates on the Ride!:thumb:

roachjuice
02-27-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6723&highlight=injectors+piece+intake+remove

thanks!:thumb: oh and one more thing. +20's or 40's?

BadAssPerformance
02-27-2007, 01:47 AM
42pph injectors (+20%) should do quite well for you unless you are looking to modify it quite a bit.

roachjuice
02-27-2007, 02:21 AM
yea i can do the 20's. i guess. don't wanna modify the hell out of it...yet...
i have now:
255 walbro
dsm bov
accufab AFPR
in car manual boost controller
3 inch turbo back exhaust
vac/boost gauge
EGT gauge

wanting/needing
NPR intercooler or the budget intercooler from cindy
tires
+20 injectors
radiator
and what ever else i need to run 12's besides slicks.:eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
02-27-2007, 02:29 AM
Shiit, with what you have, the 42pph inj. and slicks you should have everything you need to run 12's ;)

EDIT: I'd vote for some race gas and no converter if you have it ;)

86GLHS
02-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Just wonderin how is the body work comin?

roachjuice
02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Just wonderin how is the body work comin?

lol its not! no i have to pick up the other front end from the salvage when i get a chance. when tax returns come it thats when it will happen!:) i think i might even paint the car but i don't know where to get the decals.:(

BadAssPerformance
02-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Positive Impressions?

roachjuice
02-28-2007, 12:28 AM
yea:D

85shelbycharger
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah just email Dave! shelbydodge@mindspring.com
His decal sets are exact factory replicas!!

roachjuice
03-06-2007, 05:36 AM
so the fuel gauge doesn't work now. what could cause this???? its stuck WAY past empty. and do i need to use the vacuum solenoids for the wg,fpr, and all that jazz??? because i'm running a home made vacuum block:D

cordes
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
so the fuel gauge doesn't work now. what could cause this???? its stuck WAY past empty. and do i need to use the vacuum solenoids for the wg,fpr, and all that jazz??? because i'm running a home made vacuum block:D

The FPR does not go to the solenoid, and you don't have to use any of them except the one for the map.

I would think that corrosion would be a likely culprit for the fuel gauge. I cleaned off my connections on the shadow and it worked when it once did not.

roachjuice
03-07-2007, 12:49 AM
The FPR does not go to the solenoid, and you don't have to use any of them except the one for the map.

I would think that corrosion would be a likely culprit for the fuel gauge. I cleaned off my connections on the shadow and it worked when it once did not.

which one is the map one??? and what is culprit???

cordes
03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
which one is the map one??? and what is culprit???

IIRC the one for the map is on the far right. The line should go into the bottom and come out the side to the map. The top one is left open as it is the vent.

roachjuice
03-12-2007, 12:25 AM
well i'm looking for an intercooler. what are you guys using for coolers besides the npr intercooler. because i can't find one. and what measurements can i use???

TurboII
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Not bad dude for $950.00 and its a number'd shelby cars like that go for easily $10,000 mint condition with goodies and I've seen people pay that price even more on ebay

cordes
03-13-2007, 10:49 PM
well i'm looking for an intercooler. what are you guys using for coolers besides the npr intercooler. because i can't find one. and what measurements can i use???

The treadstone IC that guys are picking up off of ebay is a pretty popular one. Check out the "show of your FMICs" thread in the fab section of the board for a ton of good ideas.

roachjuice
03-19-2007, 01:10 AM
ok so its time for cooling system stuff... i bought an 89' 2.5 mini van radiator. wondering if anyone has put this into an L body? little smaller than the glht radiator. plus it was 60 bucks brand new with a lifetime warranty!!! (i love working in a parts store!!!) and the glht one is 140!

Clay
03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
hmmmm Ive got one at the house. I seem to remember them being a bit taller than a GLH/T/S rad. Im sure it can be done fairly easily with the right brackets. Your other option is a Daytona rad. Lots of people have gone that route without much trouble.

roachjuice
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
i'm pretty sure it will fit. but nothing a little modifying can't do:D also i need to run a pcv system. anyone have a custom pcv system? pics? links? and is there any bushing kits for the shifter rods? there not sloppy or anything just wanted to replace them.

roachjuice
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
ok so i drove it in my yard and the speed-o goes nuts!!! it keeps going round and round... kinda funny to look at.... but i need another... also if anyone has an a/c delete bracket let me know!!

cordes
03-27-2007, 07:52 PM
ok so i drove it in my yard and the speed-o goes nuts!!! it keeps going round and round... kinda funny to look at.... but i need another... also if anyone has an a/c delete bracket let me know!!

You can use the non-AC bracket off of any 2.2/2.5 car that came without it from the JY. The omni speedo is cable driven, so I would check everything with that before proceeding, as it might not be the actual gaguge.

roachjuice
03-27-2007, 08:14 PM
its the gauge because i dropped it on the floor board while taking out the other gauges.:( taking the green covers off the bulbs.

roachjuice
06-23-2007, 11:50 PM
so i'm thinking about taking the engine and trans out and putting it in a glht. feed back please.

Jasmeleg08
06-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Why? I wouldn't ruin the GLHS with "original motor". From what I have seen it seems to the be the original to the car. I would just find another t2 motor our of a Daytona or something and swap it in there. Don't ruin the GLHS. Or just build a stronger motor for it. Not swap the motor out of the GLHS. Just my 2 cents.

Clay
06-27-2007, 04:48 PM
yeah, leave the original motor with the car. OR put it in the corner and build up a common block.

cordes
06-27-2007, 09:35 PM
yeah, leave the original motor with the car. OR put it in the corner and build up a common block.

+1 keep the original motor with the car, or in storage for it.

Dodgeglht
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
If you still plan on fixing it then keep the motor with the car. If you're gonna give up on it then keep the motor fo the replacement. Personally I'd be torn on what to do.

roachjuice
06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
well hopefully the car is going to the body shop next week!! whoot!!!!!!

Dodgeglht
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
sweet!!!!! nice job man & hav fun with it.

jckrieger
01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Bump for an OLD thread. What ever happened to this car? I'm always interested in seeing GLHS cars come back from the dead.

knepppipes
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
i've replaced those starters passing them out the pass side wheelwell to a buddy if i remember correctly.nicer than twisting and turning.2 bolts up top and one underneath i thnk.its been awhile!

roachjuice
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Bump for an OLD thread. What ever happened to this car? I'm always interested in seeing GLHS cars come back from the dead.

Car got sold to a guy in one of the Carolina's.