PDA

View Full Version : running without knock sensor

Moparbishi
01-14-2006, 11:35 AM
i broke my knock sensor when i put the motor back together a couple mounts ago and i still ahvent gotton one. besides knock retard are there any power loss from having one not hooked up? like is it always asuming knock????

GLHSKEN
01-14-2006, 11:52 AM
No it will not effect daily performance. It will however also not detect knock... and NO TIMING will be pulled... So drive carfully.

Una
01-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Every TD I've ever seen with a broken one in the intake had cracked pistons in the block...
Run premium fuel ONLY.. Back the base timing up to 10 or even 8.. Keep the boost low..

Tony Hanna
01-15-2006, 07:41 PM
I agree with Ken and Brian. Run premium, pull some timing, and above all, get a new knock sensor on there ASAP.

cordes
01-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I agree with Ken and Brian. Run premium, pull some timing, and above all, get a new knock sensor on there ASAP.

+1...

Moparbishi
01-15-2006, 11:04 PM
well i spun a bearing so i will have one befroe the motor gets put back together. i opnly ran 93 with octane boosts as well and the timing since i had it was at 10* for safetly on a 200000 mile motor.

Una
01-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Do you know the difference between a spun bearing and a knocking bearing? It can knock for a long time without spinning. You can probably swap in a new bearing still if you haven't driven it far.

2.216VTurbo
01-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Back in the early 90's I looked at 87 GLHS #25 for sale. Guy who had it was on his third motor-sort of. The entire top end was sitting in the hatch (on the carpet no less:eek: ) and he had a couple cracked pistons on his second motor. He was burnt out on SD ownership (but still wanted too much for the car in that condition IMHO) and was going on about how unrealible they are. I noticed that the 02 sensor was snapped off in the manifold and asked him if he knew what that little thing was:eyebrows: He told me that it had been broken forever and that you didn't need that thing (whatever it was) to run the car.:p

Turns out another local guy bought the car (girl actually, still in the local club and expecting her first child in May:thumb: ) and it is in much better hands now. I'm kind of wondering why would someone NOT run one? If it's a $$ thing, are there no boneyards in your area??