PDA

View Full Version : Smacking starter to work

butchsuppe
12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know why this will make a starter work when it doesn,t want to, I,m guessing it has something to do with the brushes. I,d really love to have a quaility starter for a change. Any ideas ?

88_pacifica
12-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Actually it's because the solenoid is sticking. Electrical, not mechanical.

mcsvt
12-08-2006, 01:18 PM
edit: ^^ got to it first :)
Solenoid sticking? or just knocking some sense into it. Not really sure either, seemed to be a common issue when working on my old Beetle.

88_pacifica
12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
edit: ^^ got to it first :)
Solenoid sticking? or just knocking some sense into it. Not really sure either, seemed to be a common issue when working on my old Beetle.

^^ Great minds think alike... :D

BadAssPerformance
12-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Actually it's because the solenoid is sticking. Electrical, not mechanical.

Actually smacking it to unstick it IS mechanical! :)

Just dont hit the solenoid trigger wire with the pry bar you're hammering on and ground it to the can, BAD THINGS!

88_pacifica
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Actually smacking it to unstick it IS mechanical! :)

Just dont hit the solenoid trigger wire with the pry bar you're hammering on and ground it to the can, BAD THINGS!

Yeah... technically it is. But, I didn't want him to buy a whole new starter if he can just replace the solenoid. :D If I go into serious depth I might get him more confused than he needed to be. :) It's actually the switch inside the solenoid that is gated and manually switches to conduct(open) the voltage in an on/off scenario. (If this happens[voltage is seen here], then do this[actuate the starter motor]). This sends a voltage to the magnets that moves the coil, that will generate the movement to create a larger current to the brushes. Now we have enough "torque" to spin the flywheel/flexplate.

BadAssPerformance
12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Not many places sell just the solenoid and the starters dont cost that much. If you do get a reman starter then just make sure that it is the smaller size high torque starter that is used on the later turbo cars. the N/A starters and early turbo cars have bigger (read: harder to get in) ones.

88_pacifica
12-08-2006, 03:51 PM
^+1 Definitely get the smaller one or you'll loose a gallon of blood through your knuckles and the sanity to walk upright!!

22mopar
12-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I get all my starter parts from National automotive in Shelbyville indiana. when no parts stores will sell you just the parts you need for your starters, they got everything to rebuild them. just last month, my neighbor had the contacts on his Cummins fail. NOT one parts store, nor my local dodge dealer, could get me just the contacts. National auto not only had them but they were in my hand 16 hours later for $15 with overnight shipping. not bad since the only other alternative was having someone in town rebuild it for $100 or getting a reman from the parts store at a tune of over $240

butchsuppe
12-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah... technically it is. But, I didn't want him to buy a whole new starter if he can just replace the solenoid. :D If I go into serious depth I might get him more confused than he needed to be. :) It's actually the switch inside the solenoid that is gated and manually switches to conduct(open) the voltage in an on/off scenario. (If this happens[voltage is seen here], then do this[actuate the starter motor]). This sends a voltage to the magnets that moves the coil, that will generate the movement to create a larger current to the brushes. Now we have enough "torque" to spin the flywheel/flexplate.

So let me get this straight, if I run power to the motor part of the starter it will unstick the solenoid ?

BadAssPerformance
12-08-2006, 10:22 PM
If you are sure it is the starter then just put a new or reman one in. They are pretty cheap :thumb:

Birddog
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Ya sure someone didn't stick a chevy under your hood???

OK seriously... new, rebuilt or used if ya gotta whack it to get it to work change it...

(Sometimes better late than never....:p )

butchsuppe
12-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I already replaced the starter with a reman. but problem is you can,t get quaility reman parts anymore. I would rather purchase quailiy parts to rebuild the starter myself as I have experience doing it. Now the starter I pulled has new brushes in the motor + I did verify the solinoid didn,t provide voltage to the motor after reading these post. It,s the small gear reduction type which I like better than the big one I just put in. I have no faith in this LIFETIME warranty one since this is the 3rd time it,s been changed + yes I,m been using a heat sheild. Time for someone to redesign a better starter.:nod: