PDA

View Full Version : Ideas

Murphy
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
ive had some ideas pop in my head so I thought I would post them

87 shelby Z stock t2 with MPG Mike head

firstly, I have chips capable of holding 4 calibrations. From what I hear, most people do 2 and use a switch to flip between them. My idea was to use the ignition to switch between cals like is rumored about some old shelby cals. I would it to be like, if i just start the car normally, it starts in economy mode. if i turn the key to on then wait say 10 secs then start, it will start in performance mode. Then, I will have 2 performance mode cals attached to the switch for my electric cutout. That way I will get the best performance for my exhaust. mainly, 2 questions arise out of this.....does anyone know how to do the ignition thing, and with the switch, can I switch them on the fly or will i have to turn off the car.

secondly, I would like to somehow attach my EGT prope to my cal. What would I need to make that work? would I have to find an open input with the same range as the probe, or could I use any input and rewrite the code to read that input differently. could i even use the old output to my purge solenoid? or something A/C related(a/c removed). The EGT would mainly just act as a failsafe and auto shutdown if it gets too hot

would there be any advantage of converting to sequential injector firing or distributorless ignition

I thought there were more to this......

post your ideas!

ShelGame
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
ive had some ideas pop in my head so I thought I would post them

87 shelby Z stock t2 with MPG Mike head

firstly, I have chips capable of holding 4 calibrations. From what I hear, most people do 2 and use a switch to flip between them. My idea was to use the ignition to switch between cals like is rumored about some old shelby cals. I would it to be like, if i just start the car normally, it starts in economy mode. if i turn the key to on then wait say 10 secs then start, it will start in performance mode. Then, I will have 2 performance mode cals attached to the switch for my electric cutout. That way I will get the best performance for my exhaust. mainly, 2 questions arise out of this.....does anyone know how to do the ignition thing, and with the switch, can I switch them on the fly or will i have to turn off the car.

I've never heard the key thing before. It's certainly possible, I guess. But it would take some custom code to do the switch after 10 seconds. Everytime you re-start, it would go back to the "base" calibration, too.

Check out moates.net. He has a nice switcher socket and remote switch for not much money. They'll work with our chips just fine.

secondly, I would like to somehow attach my EGT prope to my cal. What would I need to make that work? would I have to find an open input with the same range as the probe, or could I use any input and rewrite the code to read that input differently. could i even use the old output to my purge solenoid? or something A/C related(a/c removed). The EGT would mainly just act as a failsafe and auto shutdown if it gets too hot

That's possible. You'd probably need an external amplifier to convert the microvolt T/C signal into a 0-5V signal. And, you'd have to lose one of the exsisting inputs (charge temp sensor being the best candidate). It wouldn't work with one of the unused outputs (A/C or purge solenoid) as those are configured for output only...

would there be any advantage of converting to sequential injector firing or distributorless ignition

That's been debated to death before, but essentially, sequential only helps at duty cycles less than ~25% (ie, idle and low rpm cruise). Even then, the main benefit is emissions.

There might be some benefit to distributorless ignition, but you'd have to re-write the entire spark control routines in the SMEC...

Murphy
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Thx for the info

I read about the key thing on the dodge garage, it looks like not very much is know about it. I know it would require some custom code but I figure it would be pretty cool as a 'hidden' cal

I dont really want to lose one of my existing inputs to connect the EGT, maybe instead i could do something like if my boost is greater than xx and o2 reads less then .92 then shutdown I would just like a fail safe so i minimize my chances of breaking something.

I know the sequential injection and dist less ignition are alot of work, but i guess they arent really worth it...maybe a project for later once all the big stuff is done

and btw im LM not smec