PDA

View Full Version : fuel issues

Purpleskunk
12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
so i have tried just about all things that i r/t and mr. ken can think of, and still my car craps out under acceleration. so here is whats goin on. the car was done, and runnin good. changed the battery recently, and immediately after, the car started running stupid. it would be fine for a little while then when you feed it alot of gas, it would shoot across the a/f gauge to lean then go off the chart completely....:mad: tried everything from new fuel pressure reg., map sensor logic module...... and nothing. i am getting truly frustrated now. what if anything else could lead to this? along with the crapping out, after the bttery went in, while i was driving one night the fuel pump started wining a bit louder than it should be i think.

by the way this is all on a 2.2 with the 1 piece t2 style intake

mcsvt
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
R/T and Ken know a lot more then me, but do you have a way to watch fuel pressure while driving? Might be something to help diagnois it.

BIGBRUDDA
12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Time to crawl unner the car Steve.:nod:
First ya want to check the fuel pump wiring harness. I've experienced problems with it on my 86 (erratic operation, even caught FIRE) :wow1: Check the triangular fuelpump power plug(green&gray wires).(pull it apart)They get corroded. Inspect it and its male companion on the tank.Use a meter($3.99@ harborfreight) and check the wires for ground(wiggle it around too):partywoot: .I ended up running another ground wire, and siliconing the thing together.
The tank could also be corroded inside too,preventing fuel movement past the baffle into the pickup chamber :( Many of the tanks we've removed looked ok but were really crappy inside.:evil: Gimme a call if ya need to 478-4281

turboshadow
12-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Didnt you just get new fuel lines because the old ones were all rusty?
Maybe one of the lines is cloged or just messed up.

Purpleskunk
12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Time to crawl unner the car Steve.:nod:
First ya want to check the fuel pump wiring harness. I've experienced problems with it on my 86 (erratic operation, even caught FIRE) :wow1: Check the triangular fuelpump power plug(green&gray wires).(pull it apart)They get corroded. Inspect it and its male companion on the tank.Use a meter($3.99@ harborfreight) and check the wires for ground(wiggle it around too):partywoot: .I ended up running another ground wire, and siliconing the thing together.
The tank could also be corroded inside too,preventing fuel movement past the baffle into the pickup chamber :( Many of the tanks we've removed looked ok but were really crappy inside.:evil: Gimme a call if ya need to 478-4281

actually thought about that last night when i was driving, because that loud whine i hear sometimes stops completely and seems to coexist with the crapping out but oddly enough all night last night and all day today the car has been runnin terrific. as far as the pump is concerned it is a brand new walboro (sp?) 255 unitso i was thinking could i direct wire it to a toggle switch if the wires are bad in the harness?

Didnt you just get new fuel lines because the old ones were all rusty?
Maybe one of the lines is cloged or just messed up.
yes and they are all brand new "pro" done(cousin joe the mechanic)so.... maybe the new lines are indeed clogged by something.

does anyone think the old fuel filter could have anything to with it?

BIGBRUDDA
12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Yep!Change the filter, check the wiring.:nod:
The pump really should run off the circuit provided. It's part of the whole IGN/Fuel/ASD vortex.:eyebrows: Monitored by the logic mod. And controled by the ASD relay. For safety reasons( you'll go blind if you play with that!):mecry:

Purpleskunk
12-08-2006, 02:35 PM
For safety reasons( you'll go blind if you play with that!):mecry:

will i get hair on my palms too? :bolt: :p

Purpleskunk
12-13-2006, 05:58 PM
k so i changed the filter, and have yet to get under the car and check the wiring i think i am failing to understand how to use the multimeter, what do i turn it to, what wire do i touch with hot which one for ground? also if it's not one thing its another today i lost all oil pressure until i turned the car off, and pushed the dip stick(which seems to come loose every time i hit a bump now) back in and now it has very little (down to the line between half way and L). this is getting to be so danged frustrating now, seeing as how i seem to be one of the few people who have turbo cars that have problems where even those who are full of years of experience go, " it does WHAT?!"

87glhs232
12-13-2006, 08:10 PM
What meter are you using (brand/model)?

You'll want to put it on a DC voltage setting (indicated by DC or V=). It's not really an = after the V, but thats as close as I can get with the available keyboard symbols. AC voltage is indicated by V~. Some meters have several DC and AC selections, some just have a single DC or AC selection. Post up what brand/model your using and we'll get you going.

Or you can check this out: http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/usingamultimeter.htm

Purpleskunk
12-21-2006, 10:01 PM
another question that was brought to my attention is would this car 86 chrysler laser XT have a inertia switch (or 2) and if so would bad inertia switches cause a failure like this?

Purpleskunk
01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
btt any ideas?

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
What is your fuel pressure at idle, what is it under boost?