PDA

View Full Version : Side exit on a van

Dave
12-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Pondering some thoughts here. I have a 3" side exit exhaust that I'm about to put on, but I don't know which side to bring it out from. Dumb question, I know, but there are a few concerns.

One being if I bring it out on the passenger side people might burn theirselves getting in/out of the sliding door. On the other side it will come out right under the fuel door. If I drip fuel on it while gassing it up it'll be deja vu all over again.

Thoughts?

22mopar
12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
DOT regulations are that exhaust must exit behind any operating doors and windows. side exit would be a problem. forget the buring part, that was an issue with the Corvettes.... some states even tried to outlaw them

WVRampage
12-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Just run it out the back,it will be less problem in the end.

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Its easier to run it out the passenger side. I did the straight out thing and almost took off my toe nail so then I angled it back. I'll post pics later.

Blue Iroc R/T
12-06-2006, 08:32 PM
almost took off my toe nail so then I angled it back. I'll post pics later.

We don't need to see your toe nail! :lol:

Dave
12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Simon, what makes it easier to come out on the pass side? I'm just trying to think of potential hazards. I'd rather have me or someone else burn theirself than have it catch on fire. :(

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Simon, what makes it easier to come out on the pass side? I'm just trying to think of potential hazards. I'd rather have me or someone else burn theirself than have it catch on fire. :(

The factory routes it that wasy to its just a natural progression. If you angle it back, you won't burn anyone and thats not the problem, its stubbing your toes when you get in the side door.

Garret
12-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Driver side then it doesn't affect the door, minivan has tones of ground clearance anyways

Dave
12-07-2006, 09:54 AM
So i don't have to worry about wrapping the exhaust or installing a heat shield under the brake lines or fuel lines, whichever side I decide to come out on?

Subliminal
12-07-2006, 09:59 AM
If'n I were you, I'd stick it opposite the fuel door. That will minimize problems with inspection and such.

Dave
12-07-2006, 10:18 AM
I think I'll do that, just for extra insurance I'll make a heat shield between the exhaust and fuel lines. I'm freaking paranoid. :thumb:

BARRON
12-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Some say here.... some say there.. some say anywhere BUT I SAY... only a couple suggestions.

If you do it like SIMON SAYS, I'd put lots of header wrap on it and bring it back a bit closer to the gas tank and shoot it STRAIGHT out behind the door with a slight bend DOWN and BACK on the end and a 45 deg cut on the tip. that way there you dont have to come out past the rocker pannel and potentially remove toenails and other parts of your body.

Or, for quiet AND good flow,do like I am going to do and that is run 2.5" or 3" all the way along the stock route with a 3" magnaflow where the OEM muffler was and a 3" Resonator where the OEM resonator was. I think this would be the ULTIMATE compromise. and where personally I am not going above 14psi because its my daily driver and work horse, it will be perfect.

turbovanmanČ
12-07-2006, 01:33 PM
So i don't have to worry about wrapping the exhaust or installing a heat shield under the brake lines or fuel lines, whichever side I decide to come out on?

Did you see my pics? ran like that for 2 years no issues. BTW, it will be loud and theres no way around it.

Dave
12-08-2006, 05:38 AM
I saw your pics, Simon. I just want my extra security.

turbovanmanČ
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I saw your pics, Simon. I just want my extra security.

Not necessary at all but its your van, ;)

BARRON
12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh Let The Poor Man Wrap The Pipe!!!!

Yeah!! Wrap It!!! Wrap It Good!

turbovanmanČ
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh Let The Poor Man Wrap The Pipe!!!!

Yeah!! Wrap It!!! Wrap It Good!

Hahahaaha, :lol:

22mopar
12-08-2006, 04:55 PM
maybe it would be best to cut a hole in the floor and then route the pipe into the interior. :)

mcsvt
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah make a stack at the rear corner. It may even help with heating the interior durring the winter ;)

Dave
12-10-2006, 10:14 PM
I did a trial fit today. The exhaust came off my friend's Charger, so I'll need to lengthen it about 20", install a mandrel bent 45* bend and I want to bring it out right in front of the jack point in the rear.

Reeves
01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
I have mine side exited coming out the driver side, as far back as I could get it. Also used a slash cut SS tip.

I used a Thrush turbo muffler, 3" in/out with no cat. It's not that loud really.

I like the idea of running a stack through the back...I could use the extra heat!! LOL!

GLHNSLHT2
01-29-2007, 11:43 PM
A buddy came over in his 2.5 Turbo Van with side exit. He slowed and got on it a bit when going by my place. I thought it was the modded Cummins going up the hill across the street. :) Sounds good but with an auto it's a bit loud.

1FastCSX289
01-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I routed my side exit right out behind the drivers door. I have running boards though and theres no risk of stubbing my toes. I also dont have a CAT, so the pipe didnt need to be that long. I just went from the down pipe to the muffler and made a turn out the drivers side. Its way in front of the fuel door, so no worries there. Mine is only 2.5" though with an ultra flow muffler.

Dave
01-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Well it come out okay. Any ideas on how to bring the rest of it up a tad? It's almost like the downpipe sits too low, as you can see the exhaust go down at the downpipe and rise back up at the hangar.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/644/medium/IM006261.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/644/medium/IM006258.JPG

Thanks for you help guys.

Reeves
01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
I ran all mine up high, then just bent it down at the end just enough to get it out from under the skirt. I used the 3" Rick Diogo downpipe I had left over from my OMNI and it did come down lower than the stock downpipe. It's also real close to the steering rack.

Dave
01-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Yah mine actually rides on top of the steering rack. :D I was told it was from Forward Motion... figures.

Blue Iroc R/T
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Dave,
Autozone has a 3" turndown that you could cut the side pipe just after the bend and slip the turn down on, so that the tip is just beneath the sill. That would let you raise the pipes and still dump out below the door. Just a thought. As big and open as that turn down is, you won't loose hardly any HP. Mark has one on his Black Daytona. There are pic of it on my site, under Marks black Daytona Gallery. (sorry, I can't access my site from here at work to drop you a direct link)

ShelGame
01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I want to see someone put one of these on a van...

Nascar side exit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NASCAR-BOOM-TUBES-EXHAUST-PIPE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33633QQihZ006QQite mZ160076951303QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2007, 02:56 PM
I want to see someone put one of these on a van...

Nascar side exit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NASCAR-BOOM-TUBES-EXHAUST-PIPE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33633QQihZ006QQite mZ160076951303QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)

Hahhaa, yeah, I would like to have done that when I ran a side exit, :nod:

Bryan, rotate that muffler clamp for starters. You need to lift it up then you can angle down the exit, its way too low. Mines tucked up, it runs at the stock angles and height. It looks like your skirts hang down 1-2 inchs lower than mine and that would be why yours is so low.

Dave
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks Simon. That would clear the clamp's threads from hitting, I'll figure out something for the rest.