PDA

View Full Version : paint removal

WVRampage
01-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I have a 84 rampage im in the prosses of painting and I wanted to know that the best way to get the paint off the nose peice since it is plastic.

GLHS592
01-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I tried to chemically strip it from a junk Shelby Charger fender extension. It bubbled up the plastic. DO NOT try that on anything that you are gonna use. I ended up using a dual action sander with 80 grit to take all the paint off.

LeGweg
01-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I have a 84 rampage im in the prosses of painting and I wanted to know that the best way to get the paint off the nose peice since it is plastic.

Do you really need to get the paint off? Because if it's not flaking or cracked you can only sand the paint with 320/400 grit and spray primer or paint right over it.

I don't like to use chemical paint strippers. I prefer to sand it off using a dual action sander like Kevin said but 80 grit seems a bit rough to me, I'd go with something between 100/180 grit. Be careful with the sander not to dig grooves in the plastic.

If you want to use a chemical paint stripper, try this one;

http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=147

I have used it and it is good stuff. Test it on the inside of the bumper cover just to make sure it won't damage/melt the plastic.

And since it's paint stripper in a spray can, pay attention to everything that surrounds your working area (move things nearby away or cover it) especially if you're working outside in the wind...

WVRampage
01-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks for thr input i figured a DA sander was the best and the car was painted once before so id liek to get it down to the plastic so the old paint wont cause cracking, thank you very much for the input.

GLHS592
01-14-2006, 12:59 AM
I don't like to use chemical paint strippers. I prefer to sand it off using a dual action sander like Kevin said but 80 grit seems a bit rough to me, I'd go with something between 100/180 grit. Be careful with the sander not to dig grooves in the plastic.

Duh! You're right. I used 180. 80 would leave huge sanding scratches. :o

WVRampage
01-14-2006, 01:41 AM
I didnt realy want to use cemicals to get the paint off, I used it a long time ago one somethign and it messed up the plastic but i didnt know if they had changed since then,thanks i will sand with the DA I have 80 120 180 sand paper already so i will beable to get it done thanks alot for your input.

85shelbycharger
01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Yeah I used our DA with 180 grit on the front fascia that I sanded for my '86 and it worked fine.