PDA

View Full Version : Oil in coolant. Wheres it coming from??

My96z
01-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I bought a 89 sundance turbo for $40. Needs a bit of work, but well worth it..

The coolant looks like pure milk, but the oil in the pan is clean. Now the mitsu turbo is shot, it wobbles real bad. Could the turbo be damaged enough to allow the oil into the coolant passage? I know the oil system has more pressure than the coolant system, could this be why the oil in the pan is clean? The car smokes as well but I attribute this to the turbo. I have a garrett that I will put on it here soon.

Also I dont have any off the bubbling in the coolant associated with a blown head gasket.

Any idea?

Jeff

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Oil in coolant is yeah, cracked block or head or possibly the turbo. If the turbo is shot, bypass the oil and coolant and see what happens.

Tony Hanna
01-14-2006, 03:44 AM
Another possibility if you have an auto trans would be a dead tranny cooler (the one in the radiator). With new tranny fluid, this makes the coolant look more like a strawberry milkshake (I've had it happen), but if you have some nasty tranny fluid, I guess it could look like oil mixed in.

85shelbycharger
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
I was thinking either a cracked head or blown headgasket..

Una
01-14-2006, 01:12 PM
My Daytona did this (which is why it's down for an upgrade now).. I think the block is cracked. Never got around to eliminating the turbo as a cause tho..I replaced the headgasket and head several times without eliminating the problem.