PDA

View Full Version : Ok, help me figure out this "miss"

Anonymous_User
12-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I think I'm finally getting to a point where I can start saying the car is running pretty good, but I've got a high rpm under load miss kind of thing going on.

Today I put in a new set of Autolite 64's gapped at .025. I knew I had a bad plug and have just been taking it easy for a while. This made a helluva improvement.

1st gear - unusable
Grab 2nd - tires roasting wraps to 5000 pretty damn quick.
Grab 3rd - little tire chirping as the rpm climbs at about 3500 -4000 it starts to buck

4th and 5th act the same as 3rd only progressively worse.

Cruising at highway speeds in 5th, about 2700 rpm, I'm seeing 1350-1400* EGT and a nice bouncy A/F gauge. Punch it and the EGT drops to about 1100*, the A/F goes full rich, and then about 3500-4000 rpm the engine starts to miss bad and I start getting a CEL on Knock.

Right now I'm running the regular Blueberry scaled to +40's. I'm thinking:

1.) EGT at WOT is low. Take some fuel out of the WOT curve

2.) CEL on Knock and bucking might be too much ignition timing under boost?

Any other ideas appreciated.

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2006, 05:35 PM
It could be your misfiring due to it being rich. What kind of spark advance did you program. I noticed when I ping, it miss's a bit.
How is the coil, cap and wires? Do you have the wires pushed all the way down?

Anonymous_User
12-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Coil, cap, wires are all brand new, good stuff. All parts installed correctly (even with dielectric grease in the boots).

Hmm... If extra rich could cause it... but it's not like smoking rich.

Anonymous_User
12-04-2006, 08:10 PM
OK, it is deteriorating. Now it does it in all gears. I can run up to redline as long as I don't boost above 15-16. At 15-16 at any RPM it stumbles REAL bad.

Weird 'cause I thought it was a failing spark plug. Put in new plugs and it ran good for a few miles. Now it is back to running bad.

I guess it's time to replace the cap/rotor/wires AGAIN.

cordes
12-04-2006, 08:11 PM
What do you have your plugs gapped at?

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
OK, it is deteriorating. Now it does it in all gears. I can run up to redline as long as I don't boost above 15-16. At 15-16 at any RPM it stumbles REAL bad.

Weird 'cause I thought it was a failing spark plug. Put in new plugs and it ran good for a few miles. Now it is back to running bad.

What kind of wires are you running? Anything other than Aurora is shitt.

Anonymous_User
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Plugs gapped at .025

Wires - well I was running some junk parts store brand wires. Then I switched to some nice red wires I got in a box of misc. stuff I bought from someone. I don't recall the brand.

Saturday I said everything was new, but I forgot that the plug wires are actually unknown since I didn't personally purchase them new.

I just ordered a set of Magnacore wires.

mw6886
12-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Fuel pump.

BIGBRUDDA
12-05-2006, 09:39 AM
The problem is AUTOLITE plugs:nod: Ditch-um ,get Champion or better yet NGKs:amen:

turbovanmanČ
12-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Nothing wrong with Autolites, used them with no issues. :nod:

Anonymous_User
12-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I've used champions and autolites with no noticeable difference. I have run autolites in everything for years.

Today it didn't do on the way home from work. Hmmm.....

Well, hopefully the new plug wires will fix it for good.

TurboBuggy
12-31-2006, 07:32 PM
up your overboost cut and see if that changes anything, it almost sounds like overboost cut. In a cal I did for my car I set the overboost to 24psi and for some reason I got cut at like 16psi, raised it to 27psi and the cut went away

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2007, 12:13 AM
up your overboost cut and see if that changes anything, it almost sounds like overboost cut. In a cal I did for my car I set the overboost to 24psi and for some reason I got cut at like 16psi, raised it to 27psi and the cut went away

Overboost cutout isn't a miss, its like your head hits a brick wall, :banghead: :lol:

amcpacer
01-01-2007, 01:19 AM
It sounds like a wiring problem. Perhaps when you get up to speed on the highway there is lots of turbulence in the engine compartment. Perhaps the wire to the hall effect sensor is swaying in the breeze and making the engine stumble badly.

mech1nxh
01-01-2007, 01:25 AM

do you have access to an old analog scope? ck the ign sec voltage
doing a "snap wot test"...<40k...weak coil (this based on the assumption
supply voltage/chg syst is pristeen)