PDA

View Full Version : Engine - Rebuilt or Reman...

85_600
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM
*IF* I have to go with a rebuilt or reman. engine ( not having mine rebuilt ) where is the best place to buy one from? Has anyone done this and if so where did you buy it from?

Thanks!
Paul

deuce dodge
01-13-2006, 07:07 PM
ok i am only speaking of that whitch ive seen...........i would avoid "jasper"rebuilds.........

and maybe its just me........

deuce dodge

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I have heard the same thing, Jasper bad. UNA had a link for good rebuilt engines, PM him. Personally, for the same money,or a bit more as a rebuilt, you can do it yourself, use Forged pistons and have piece of mind, or heck, have me build one, :eyebrows:

looneytuner
01-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Post for rebuilder in NE Ohio. A good machine shop will know where to get a good block for cheap to start with. I agree about Jasper. A "rebuilt" head with a mix of roller and slider valves cost my son a good bottom end. Plus a LOT of money for installing the mess and replacing the mess and losing the bottom end.

5sp. mini
01-14-2006, 01:34 AM
i would look to have your rebuild. i have a jasper lower end got from parts car had 15,000 on it rock 14 psi alot but is still a t1 , the head was junk . had a napa shop do my bore work and head work on my other motors the head work is all stock but allway new valve guilds, always have a spare head that way you can swap turbos faster. LOL works for me. by the way motor out of van had repair bills of over 3000 for reman for 89 j code it has no name pistons and press in pins/ they remove the bal shafts/ so go with what you have i say.AL

WVRampage
01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
I would stay away from the ones at advance auto well about any thing from there but spark plugs,oil and filter, and maby a few other things, but there engines and transmissions are junk I had a freind with a 400ci chevy truck and first they gave him the wrong yeah block and they told him it was right,then it spun a rod bearing after 1500 miles of easy driving.

bfarroo
01-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Stay away from autozone also. The motor that came out of my 91 was a autozone crate motor. Dakota 2.5 block drilled for oil return, LW press pin rods, hyperutectic pistons, Who knows what else. Just a bunch of miss matched parts thrown together.

looneytuner
01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
------minuses for Mopar rebuilds. Don't know what they use, but wife's cousin had one installed for big bucks. It knocked so bad his dad (mopar fanatic) made him take it back for another. The next one almost made it from Sprigfield Il. to Atlanta for the Olympics. Can you say "bus trip"????

turbovanmanČ
01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
------minuses for Mopar rebuilds. Don't know what they use, but wife's cousin had one installed for big bucks. It knocked so bad his dad (mopar fanatic) made him take it back for another. The next one almost made it from Sprigfield Il. to Atlanta for the Olympics. Can you say "bus trip"????

Look at 11secGLH, used a factory TII rebuilt motor and its got Hyper pistons. Not pretty.

deuce dodge
01-21-2006, 09:09 AM
"MOTORXPLODER"had factory rebuild....sweet.........of course he ran to much boost/ to little fuel......and did what he does....kaboom.......

blown piston...........but __NOT_ rebuilds fault.....replaced a slug and it runs great again....

deuce

11secGLH
01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes and a cast crank!!! The hypers lasted 20 miles of easy driving before one melted badly.I got a second one and tore it down. The bearings were so dirty I had to replace them.

cordes
01-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Yes and a cast crank!!! The hypers lasted 20 miles of easy driving before one melted badly.I got a second one and tore it down. The bearings were so dirty I had to replace them.

That is just unreal. I would probably throw that bad lad back through their front window.