PDA

View Full Version : Omni GLH bumpers

85shelbycharger
12-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Were the bumpers on the GLH Omni's different than a standard Omni? Reason I ask is because they are black on the GLH Omni's and standard aluminum on a standard Omni. If the same, how is one supposed to prep a standard Omni bumper so that paint will stick to the Aluminum? Thanks.

Marcus86GLHS
12-01-2006, 08:04 AM
the actual bumpers were the same, but as you point out the GLH car's bumpers were painted in a semi-flat black. i think the regular omnis got just a clear coating of some type, not sure how to prep for paint any good paint shop could tell you that. i had a local paint shop strip and re-paint my bumpers to match the rest of car: base coat-clear coat cause i didnt like the stock flat black paint on a shiny black car, although if the car was any other color the flat black treatment looks much more at home.

OMNI-Potent
12-01-2006, 09:49 AM
The Omni GLH bumpers (and the Euro package in '81 I believe) had the annodized black bumpers.

When mine were done, they were shot in primer and apoxy black paint.

Marcus86GLHS
12-01-2006, 10:09 AM
anodizing sounds right, you can do that coating in any color, maybe the regular omni bumpers were clear anodized?

powder coating might be a better choice for the bumpers as its more chip-resistant.

85shelbycharger
12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Marcus and Greg, thanks for the input! I need to get this figured out asap since I'm trying to have this Omni ready to roll here within the next week or so.

Marcus86GLHS
12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
this is for your sleeper silver omni? i'd go w/ the stock look: plain aluminum or anodized clear, or even powder coated clear....unless you are cloning a glh then maybe go stock looking flat black appearance.

removing omni bumpers is as easy as it gets so you could always go back and re-do those anytime.

85shelbycharger
12-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Well I'm making it into a GLH clone, so the black bumpers is the direction I'm heading.

Marcus86GLHS
12-02-2006, 12:52 PM
the stock flat black looks great w/ silver. dont forget to go see your local dodge dealer for new rubber bumper strips, those are still available NOS for about $48 each, perfect for a freshly painted omni. the end caps are not available.

GLHS592
12-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Well I'm making it into a GLH clone,

NO!! It's such a perfect sleeper now.

:D

85shelbycharger
12-02-2006, 04:01 PM
NO!! It's such a perfect sleeper now.

:D

Haha, yea that 2.2 TBI is a real powerhouse :p

devlish
12-02-2006, 04:56 PM
i've painted the silver bumpers black before... go to an auto body supply shop, and get the red scuff pad. scuff the hell outta the silver bumper with it. if sanding marks appear, use a 400-600 grit sand paper to remove them. top only really, you'll never see any sanding marks on the bottom, why waste time. clean with warm soapy water, let thoroughly dry. i use rubbing alchohol to remove any finger marks or body oils left behind from handling. then multiple light coats of a good semi-flat black paint. rustoleum etc... worked great for me!

good luck man, BTW, car looks great!

GLHS592
12-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Haha, yea that 2.2 TBI is a real powerhouse :p

Yeah, like you'll leave the TBI in there. :rolleyes: :p

SpoolinGLH
12-03-2006, 12:04 AM
see your local dodge dealer for new rubber bumper strips, those are still available NOS for about $48 each, perfect for a freshly painted omni. the end caps are not available.

thanks for the input!!

85shelbycharger
12-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Yeah, like you'll leave the TBI in there. :rolleyes: :p

Haha for the winter I'm keeping it TBI, then come spring if I decide to keep it, I may swap in the T2 motor that came with the car.

85shelbycharger
12-03-2006, 01:26 AM
the stock flat black looks great w/ silver. dont forget to go see your local dodge dealer for new rubber bumper strips, those are still available NOS for about $48 each, perfect for a freshly painted omni. the end caps are not available.

Awesome! Do you have the part numbers?

85shelbycharger
12-03-2006, 01:28 AM
i've painted the silver bumpers black before... go to an auto body supply shop, and get the red scuff pad. scuff the hell outta the silver bumper with it. if sanding marks appear, use a 400-600 grit sand paper to remove them. top only really, you'll never see any sanding marks on the bottom, why waste time. clean with warm soapy water, let thoroughly dry. i use rubbing alchohol to remove any finger marks or body oils left behind from handling. then multiple light coats of a good semi-flat black paint. rustoleum etc... worked great for me!

good luck man, BTW, car looks great!

Thanks for the info. THat's what we were going to try and do, so it's good to hear that it worked for someone else :thumb:

Thanks dude! I spent all of my spare time (between work and school) sanding the dumb thing for past two weeks :p

Marcus86GLHS
12-03-2006, 08:18 AM
"...Do you have the part numbers?............."

no, just go to the counter and ask for the strips they were the same like 1982thru 1990 omnis. national stock was at 175 pieces this summer.

so no T1 or T2 in this car, but GLH appearance? you're gonna get hassled out on the street

85shelbycharger
12-03-2006, 10:35 AM
"...Do you have the part numbers?............."

no, just go to the counter and ask for the strips they were the same like 1982thru 1990 omnis. national stock was at 175 pieces this summer.

so no T1 or T2 in this car, but GLH appearance? you're gonna get hassled out on the street

Ok, I'll have to go talk to my parts guy then. Should make for a nice touch on the final product as opposed to the old ones haha.

Yea I'll get hassled, but that makes it that much more fun! We used to have a blast driving Billy's Turismo around and having people rev at us and such :lol: I've always wanted a GLH, so I figured since I'm putting this together, why not make it something cool? :eyebrows: Plus after I get my Charger redone, if I don't sell it, the Omni will get a T2 swap (got a slew of parts with the car when I bought it).

WVRampage
12-03-2006, 01:15 PM
let me know if you need a hand puting in the T2 in the next few months,and good luck with the charger in the winter months.