PDA

View Full Version : new toy

Khajjathefang
01-13-2006, 05:26 AM
figured i'd give the electronic side of the boost controller world a whirl, and what better way to do that than to grab an older model that was never meant for this country in the first place?

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/3856/IMG_5407.jpg

hope i can find instructions in english :thumb:

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Nice looking setup!
I'm curious what the maximum boost is that a setup like that will work with.

cordes
01-13-2006, 12:24 PM
At least it has english on it. That will be a big help if you try to figure it out on your own with no instructions.

91DSX
01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Reminds me of my Blitz DBSC, the only english instructions are 4 pages long (and thats somebody who wrote them based on trial & error) but the Japanese manufacturer version is 28 pages, wonder what I'm missing!

My96z
01-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Wow, looks like somthing out of star wars.

Jeff

Khajjathefang
01-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Reminds me of my Blitz DBSC, the only english instructions are 4 pages long (and thats somebody who wrote them based on trial & error) but the Japanese manufacturer version is 28 pages, wonder what I'm missing!

heh read what it says on top, some real all your base stuff right there :D

http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/382/IMG_5408.jpg

Clay
01-13-2006, 03:54 PM
How exactly do these electronic boost controllers work?

do they control a vacuum feed to the wastegate with a solenoid?

Why does this Apexi unit have something on it about injectors??

clay

Khajjathefang
01-13-2006, 04:08 PM
How exactly do these electronic boost controllers work?

do they control a vacuum feed to the wastegate with a solenoid?

Why does this Apexi unit have something on it about injectors??

clay

correct, it uses a solonoid mounted down by the wastegate can. as for the injectors, im still somewhat fuzzy on features but it seems this thing can monitor pulsewidth. it may also feature some piggyback fuel adjustability

Clay
01-13-2006, 04:13 PM
HOLY COW THOSE THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!! $100 is about the minimum you can buy one for!!!!!!!! :yuck:

then a new one goes up to 400+!

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
heh read what it says on top, some real all your base stuff right there :D

All your boost are belong to us...:lol:

GLHNSLHT2
01-13-2006, 08:26 PM
yep over priced and they can't control the boost fast enough so you get a boost spike of 1-2psi or more depending on the unit. SCC tested a bunch of them a couple years ago because they claim they make more power than something else. They do, but only because they allowed the boost to spike for so long before being able to control it. Nothing beats a grainger valve when it comes to limiting spiking :) Hope ya didn't pay through the nose Kajja

Khajjathefang
01-13-2006, 08:50 PM
yep over priced and they can't control the boost fast enough so you get a boost spike of 1-2psi or more depending on the unit. SCC tested a bunch of them a couple years ago because they claim they make more power than something else. They do, but only because they allowed the boost to spike for so long before being able to control it. Nothing beats a grainger valve when it comes to limiting spiking :) Hope ya didn't pay through the nose Kajja

price wasnt too awful bad. i plan on spending plenty of time playing with her in low boost levels before i go crazy, i get some wild creeping with my grainger too. i guess t-3s and 3in exhaust dont play well

crazy1eye
01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Good boost controller:thumb: IMO. I installed 1 years ago on my friends '96 Talon, worked great. I had A set for 1.2bar or 17.6psi & B set to 1.5bar or 22psi :eyebrows:
For injector duty cycle you tap into the injector wires from the ECU.
For instructions > http://www.apexi-usa.com/support_installation.asp
It may show the new version, but I'm sure the installation & wiring is the same.

GLHNSLHT2
01-13-2006, 09:13 PM
creep isn't a grainger's fault. Spike is. Creep is from the wastegate or housing not flowing enough. If you port out the wastegate hole it won't creep. 89 T2's seem to be the worst at this since their holes is smaller than the earlier T2's.
Spike is caused from the wastegate not opening quick enough. Electronic BC's have this problem. Chrysler would of had the same problem with a Mitsu turbo if they had plumbed it like the T2's were plumbed. But they realized it and gave the mitsu full boost signal till it got to 7psi (wastegate spring stiffness) then bled boost off to raise the boost level.

Khajjathefang
01-13-2006, 11:09 PM
yeah i didnt word that right, didnt know about the 2.5 swing having a smaller hole though. guess it would be worth my time to buy a TU 3 incher then eh? is it possible to drop the swing in car?

crazyoneeye: did you guys install the older model like mine? or the newer one? thanks for the link, i figured the newer s avc-r's instructions would be my best bet

Thanks guys

GLHNSLHT2
01-13-2006, 11:14 PM
the SV doesn't have the hole, it hold the flapper. The Hole is in the housing and 89's got a smaller hole. If the turbo has been apart and you used anti-sieze then it might be possible in the car. If not I find lots of liquid wrench and a blow torch works well. :)

crazy1eye
01-14-2006, 11:30 AM
crazyoneeye: did you guys install the older model like mine? or the newer one? thanks for the link, i figured the newer s avc-r's instructions would be my best bet

Thanks guys
Yes, it was the older one like yours.