PDA

View Full Version : Ah CRAP! Now what do I do?

altered7151
01-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Ok this is a stupid one. When putting my tranny in tonight, I used a 6" extension with a 15mm socket on it to tighten up the tranny mount bolt, when I went to pull the socket out I lost my balance a little bit and rolled back on my heels. Well the socket caught on the frame, popped off the extension and rolled down inside ther frame:mad: Now I know I'm not the first one to do this, anyone have suggestion on how to get it out. I heard it roll down to the bottom. there are a couple drain holes down there that would probably be big enough to get it out. I didn't even mess with it since it was late and it pissed me off so I just came inside. I'm sure some inventive TD'er has an ingenious way to get it out;)

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Most of the people I know that have lost sockets this way just leave 'em in there. If you really want it out, I'd try to attach a magnet to something flexable like a drain snake or a cable housing and try to drag it back up to the hole so you can get ahold of it and pull it out.
HTH,

3nglenn
01-13-2006, 06:22 AM
^ +1 on what Tony said. Might pay to invest in one of those extendable magnet thingees-the longer the better. If it dropped in it'll come out.:nod:
G.P.

oldgregg
01-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Yep, lost a couple in the tona & just left them there.

The 1st one was a Craftsman, the next 1 or 2 were cheap no names.

Funny thing is I never heard them rolling around!

Keito
01-13-2006, 07:14 AM
I had a strong magnet I attached to the frame where the socket was
and dragged the magnet along the frame to an open spot where I could snag it. When I did it, I rolled duct tape on itself,( like you were going to hang a poster on a wall) and stuck it to the end of a rod, when I could see the socket, I poked it with the rod.
I've used the tape method a few times here at work. It's a beotch when
you drop the thoracic spine attachment screws and they fall behind the
lumbar adaptor down in the pelvis on a crash test dummy. But that's another story.:D

cordes
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I too would try to drag it with a magnet. That would last for about 2 min before I sprung for a new one though.

85shelbycharger
01-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I've done it before too and and I just left it there...haha. Like you Butch, I never heard it rolling around or anything either.

GLHSKEN
01-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I LOST ONE IN THERE ONCE... Old house had a steep driveway. Came out the next week and it was on the side of the driveway... They will eventually come out.

Use a magnet..

altered7151
01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Ok, the votes for the magnet have it. I'll try that. I'll get it out one way or another. Its personal now.

85shelbycharger
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Ok, the votes for the magnet have it. I'll try that. I'll get it out one way or another. Its personal now.

Haha :p Show that magnet who is boss :thumb:

looneytuner
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
The extension magnet is on sale at Ace hardware.

Garret
01-13-2006, 02:09 PM
why are you guys pulling up? aren't the frame rails connected to the floor pan in that little angled hole? that's what I thought...

supercrackerbox
01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
That hole is the specific reason I bought a set of those Craftsman locking extensions, lol.

GLHSKEN
01-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Yes, The Socket will travel down below the door... Pull it to the hole there

altered7151
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Well at least I feel better that I'm not the only one to do this. If it works I'll write up a FAQ :D

GLHNSLHT2
01-13-2006, 08:16 PM
been there, had a friend do it. Just drag it to the back of the car with a magnet like said above. Works great. I use a deep well socket so that it can't hook on the frame rail and go down it when it comes off the extension. All will be well with the magnet. An old speaker magnet would be best.

GLHS592
01-13-2006, 11:06 PM
A buddy of mine did that when we were pulling the motor out of my old parts car Shelby Charger. I was kinda ill about it, but went to Sears and got another socket. When I cut the car apart to carry to the recylcler, I found it. It looked like it was buried in the ground instead of being in the frame rails. :)

altered7151
01-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Fear not! I have returned triumphant from the great socket vs. charger war! Just shoved a piece of air hose down the hole until it pushed it to a point I could pull it out of the drain hole. Luckily I just completely redid the front end of the car so the frame rail wasn't crammed full of crap. Its a small victory, but it sure does add to my self esteem.:clap2: :clap2: :cheer2:

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Congrats on your victory.

cordes
01-14-2006, 07:04 PM
I am impressed. I have lost a few that way in other cars. good show.

Turbodave
01-16-2006, 06:47 PM
The easiest way to get the socket out is to drive the car around in Chicago for one winter. The frame rail will rust away and the socket will fall right out.

Lee'sdaytona
01-16-2006, 11:56 PM
^ I just saw a magnetic pick-up tool that is strong enough for like 10 pounds...It made me think of this thread :D
-Lee

supercrackerbox
01-17-2006, 09:45 AM
The easiest way to get the socket out is to drive the car around in Chicago for one winter. The frame rail will rust away and the socket will fall right out.

ROFLMAO