PDA

View Full Version : Followers

dirttrackdemon
11-28-2006, 10:13 AM
I have a '85 turbo head that needs a cam, lifters and followers. Everything's wore out and it sounds like a threshing machine when it runs. If anyone has anything please E-Mail me at william_n_66048@yahoo.com

Thanks, Bill

P.S. This is a slider head, not a roller head.

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Just get a 88 TBI cam or 89 T1 cam. I have 90 TBI cam or 2.5 T1 cam with roller rockers, $50 plus shipping. I'll throw in the lifters for free.

Email also sent.

dirttrackdemon
11-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Turbovanman;

I was under the impression that a roller cam could not be installed in a slider head, without changing the valves. Am I wrong?

Thanks for getting back to me,

Bill

turbovanmanČ
11-29-2006, 02:51 PM
The cam and rocker arms swap over. The geometery is built into the head so it works fine.

dirttrackdemon
11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Turbovanman-I live at 66048. Figure shipping to there. I most of the time send stuff Parcel Post, it's usually cheaper.

Garret
12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
No good without the right cam sprocket for him

dirttrackdemon
12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I take it that using a roller cam in place of a slider cam, I would have to change the cam sprocket? If that is so then I will have to go with a slider cam, as my wife is already bitching about putting more money in this car.

turbovanman-if I have to change sprockets then I will have to pass on the roller cam. Now if you have a slider then send me some pics.

Bill

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2006, 06:47 PM
You don't need to change the cam sprocket. Using a roller cam changes the cam timing a bit, need to write this down but it either advances or retards it 4 deg. On a stock engine, not really a big deal.

dirttrackdemon
12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I just checked with my local Advance Auto Parts store. The roller cam gear has 4 fewer teeth than the slider cam gear. The slider gear has 40 teeth and the roller gear has 36 teeth.

Like I said before I think I will stay with a slider cam, unless someone wants to throw in a roller sproket.

Turbovanman-PM me or send me a email with your phone # on it so I can call you about this, if you want. I am at work till midnight and the call will not cost me.

Garret
12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
your parts store lied to you or didn't show you the proper one, both sprockets have the same tooth count I am looking at one of each right now and can assure you they are the same.

Just go to the jyard and find an 88 TBI car and use the cam and sprocket from there the 88 still has the square tooth

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2006, 09:07 PM
The parts store has no idea what there talking about. Tooth count on square tooth and round tooth is the same BUT the cam installed centerline is different, thats why the timing is changed. I can't remember if its the sprocket or cam that does it.

dirttrackdemon
12-06-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm just trying to cover all the bases here. I am poor and I can't afford to make a mistake. I didn't go to the parts store I just called them. I am at work.

Garret- thanks for letting me know about the gears being the same. I know about centerlining a cam. I've done a bunch of V8's. In an earlier post you said something about "not without the right sproket" that lead me to believe there were two different sprockets.

Turbovanman-thanks to you also. The price you stated will do. Send me your address.