PDA

View Full Version : Good CTD sites out there?

Russ Jerome
11-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Been reading thru the coutless Turbo diesel sites out there
while I am looking at buying a 91 (intercooled) 5 spd 2500 4x4.

Any good ones out there as far as recording mods and performance
for the Dodges? Most of the sites Im seeing are weak on the performance
end. I know as a diesel mechanic how to adjust the low and high fuel
rates of the cummins pump, looking for more indepth stuff like maximum
pyrometer readings and 24v head swap options for the early pre
93 trucks.

86Shelby
11-28-2006, 12:35 AM
All I can offer on the EGTs is that most diesel guys I know keep them low, say 900.

They flipped out when they heard and saw I was running 1600 on my R/T.

BoostedL
11-28-2006, 02:54 PM
900 is low...I keep mine around 1200-1300 and have hit 1600 at the track.

www.dieseltruckresource.com is FREE and not to bad
www.turbodieselregistry.com is $$$$ and has a little more info. I personally don't like TDR cause they force you to pay. You can't view a topic except the first couple of posts unless you pay.

You can't search their site unless you pay
You can't post unless you pay.

And they say you are paying for the magazine with the "added benefit of the website" never wanted the damn mag anyway.

DTR has basically all the same info...Is free...And if something NEW comes up about the trucks, it is about 2-5 days behind. Or YOU can start a topic about it and most of the same guys visit both sites and can answer you.

I heard cummins was going to put up forums but haven't seen much about it in the past 1.5 years.

Edge had up forums but people only bitched cause they were slow to put out boxes for the new trucks...And they pretty much skipped the 2004 model year and went with the 2004.5 model year FIRST as it lead to 05- for sales.

Of all the info I have read on those sites...I haven't really read about people doing a 24V swap. But then again, I hung out in 3rd gen areas since I have a 2004. It might have been more posted in the 1st gen stuff for the 12v guys.

Best we get on our trucks is a few boxes, turbos, injectors, FASS system, exhaust, and beefed up trannys for mega beefed up prices. Some guys are using propane and nitrous but not many.

Most of the BS in the 3rd gen forum is about What tires fit on my truck, Oh me or my I have poor milage...Oh my god my horn beeps when I back up....WTF is with the chimes or the terribly hard seats...And BTW what tires fit on my truck.

it gets old after the first 6 months.

Russ Jerome
11-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I had the same feelings when I found the registry site, that truck recource
site has a lot of good stuff with a little diggin thanks.

2.216VTurbo
11-28-2006, 09:31 PM
New this year is a magazine called Diesel Power. I don't even have a oil burner but the tech articles and performance upgrades are very in depth. The last 3-4 issues have been really stellar-it may be my favorite magazine these days as turbo is just all glitz and high end sponsored cars:(

BoostedL
11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
the interesting thing...Unless your looking for current info about current problems...Most of the stuff is just repeat.

This weeks news:
Tires, bigger turbo, injectors, Edge, bully dog, TST, New exhaust, FASS

Next weeks news:

Last weeks news:

SSDD in a big way. Unless you spend the money...Not much to do.

Oh yeah...Use the fleetguard stratapore filter for oil and fleetguard fuel filter....Watch your lift pump folks...cause that is bound to fail...Lastly is the every popular rip on the new guy for not running gauges.

And the big argument that I thought I put a stop to...On the 48RE tranny..You CAN put the tranny temp probe in the back port of the tranny and get the EXACT SAME TEMP as buying the expensive in-line hose from some guy for $75 plus the core of your hose. Yep folks...SAME TEMP...even though they argue it weekly on TDR.

I tested both locations and posted it...People swear up and down that the special hose is needed...NOT.

The fuel take vent line stuff works for about 3 extra gallons. I can give more info on that later if you like.

Russ Jerome
11-30-2006, 02:00 AM
I like the idea of this 91.5 model for its looks and the fact I already know
the inner working of the VE pump and how to tweek. But working for
an International truck dealer 7.3 parts are laying around and a 1996 F-250
I found today is looking realy tempting.

Any head to head articles or online stuff out there as far as fuel milage
and performance comparisons? I realy should buy a Ford but I've worked
on Cummins for years. Looks like the realy fast 1/4 mile trucks are the
Fords and the heavy pullers are Dodges with Cummins. Love the sound
of a Cummins with 4" strait pipes too ;)

DodgeZ
11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
http://cumminsforum.com/ a lot more laid back.

DodgeZ
11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
www.dieseltruckresource.com is FREE and not to bad

Great site but they are Nazi's. I couldn't have a link to boostedmopar.com in my sig. They edited my sig with (Ad removed site violation). That was pretty much when I decided the site owners really cared about making money and I'd just end up getting banned for calling the admins a bunch a, well you know. I also couldn't post pictures of my truck... It makes TD look like an easy going place.

LOL I just signed in to make sure I remember right. I changed my sig to say

"Not having sig images is lame"

The admin edited it. Here is what it says now....

2006 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab
2003 SRT-4

(Ad removed site violation)
http://dodgez.com/temp/sig_04.jpg
Whining about Not having sig images is lame

What a great team of leaders. :lol:

Russ Jerome
12-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Just bought "Diesel Performance" magazine, pretty much a
waste of $4.99 for 1st gen CTD owners. If I get this early
style 5.9 with its VE pump I'll feak out the online guys when
I start converting the power settings with externaly adjustable
thumb screws you would normaly have to open up the pump for.

Amazing the dollars they spend on chips and CAI, not a whole
lot of grass roots mods. A diesel mechanic with a drill/tap set
would scare them silly ;)

BoostedL
12-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Great site but they are Nazi's. I couldn't have a link to boostedmopar.com in my sig. They edited my sig with (Ad removed site violation). That was pretty much when I decided the site owners really cared about making money and I'd just end up getting banned for calling the admins a bunch a, well you know. I also couldn't post pictures of my truck... It makes TD look like an easy going place.

LOL I just signed in to make sure I remember right. I changed my sig to say

"Not having sig images is lame"

The admin edited it. Here is what it says now....

2006 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab
2003 SRT-4

(Ad removed site violation)
http://dodgez.com/temp/sig_04.jpg
Whining about Not having sig images is lame

What a great team of leaders. :lol:

Yeah i had a go around with the admin at one time. Tried to do a search...then search again with different term. Error message I got said something about Admin Prohibitted your search...Something blah blah.

Posted about it and the admin and about 5 paying members jumped my ---- for NOT PAYING. After tearing into them for 2 days about forums being for Meeting people and exchanging ideas...And that the biggest complaint from older members is people not using the search feature...I finally just dropped it.

I understand about costs of running these sites. I was an admin at one time. But restricting sites down to being useless makes new members walk away.

Problem I had over on a jeep site recently where I was selling some parts and the PM system went down. I posted about it in site tech mostly to inform the admin there was problems. Then asked when he thought it might be fixed...As in an upgrade being installed or a patch within the next day or so...

My thread was locked, admin point blank said...your only here to profit from my work and I don't care about your problems..but if I was a paying member then he might consider it a problem...That the entire PM system was down for 10k members.

And I sit back flipping my green in front of my face thinking...I was actually about to sign up and support the site...Now...Hell no. I've supported other sites...but usually after I have been there a while and like what I see.

If the site is dead, or only has a-holes there...then why would I send in cash. In this case, I like the jeep site but admin is a ---...so no support and no need to ----- if the site has problems. Just use it when it is available I guess.

I'm trying to figure out which site I like better out of the turbo sites. TD is busy and big and not many close to me. TM is slower but seems to be a tight group. BM is smaller yet but have been welcomed with open arms for the most part.

Oh well...on the diesel stuff...I studied a lot during my year at TDR and know about the 3rd gens. If I haven't done it, I have probably read about it. Propane, Nitrous, FASS, Exhaust, Injectors, e-brake, computers, codes, faults, tires..oh god the tires questions...and even turbos.

1st gen..can't help you much..but in many cases...Everything overlaps at some point. Turbos work the same...Fuel/air works the same. Tires are on all vehicles...So many things can be applied from Turbo Cummins, Turbo Mopars, Turbo cars etc.

Frank
12-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Ya I had been hoping that our Cummins and SRT-4 sections would be doing better then they are, because of all the crap on the internet for those platforms. :(

Frank

RIFF-RAFF
12-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Looks like the realy fast 1/4 mile trucks are the
Fords and the heavy pullers are Dodges with Cummins.

Actually,the above statement is untrue.Dodges dominate pretty much all domestic diesel pickup truck motorsports.The Cummins is about the only diesel running sub 10 sec quarter mile times.Matter of fact,in the November issue of Diesel Power magazine,there is an article on the fastest diesel which is a 24 valve Cummins with the P7100 injector pump running low 7's and they hope to be in the 6's soon.The Duramax's are pretty stout as well but still no comparison to the Cummins.

Check out dieselram.com . They have forums that cover all 3 generations of CTD Dodges.Great bunch of people who all seem eager to help out a fellow enthusiast.There is tons of great info on alternate fuels,increasing mileage and modifications (bombing).:thumb:

Frank

Directconnection
12-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Seems the magazines I see tout the Ford, the Chevy and lastly.. the Dodge in terms of performance.

We just got in a CTD engine at our shop on Friday. This is going to be a twin turbo running 100psi boost. There is going to be some custom work done to the shortblock in terms of machining as well.

What is this thing going into? A lobster boat. Yes, you heard it right... a lobster boat. Some people up here with $ have nothing better to do than build $40,000 engines for lobster boat races. BB Chevy power in the past making crazy HP, well this guy wants the top speed record which is 57mph. Takes about 1,000hp to run that fast...I mean slow in a lobster boat.

There's a few boats we built engines for that run over 120mph. One boat which has twin BBChevy engines making 750hp each. Used to be power boat races up the river from where I work many years ago.. not anymore.

BoostedL
12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
YOu will always see performance parts more for Ford and Chevys....Cause they NEED IT :rofl:

I hated going into RamChargers...A MOPAR based company...built by former mopar/chrysler engineers and racers...Selling 95% ford and chevy cause thats what is built most of the time.

I stopped shopping there when they wanted to charge me shipping for parts that were supposed to be In Stock...but when I went to the shelf, they had put ford junk in its place.

Ramchargers is now out of business because of cheaper avenues like Summit racing.

Lastly 100 PSI..HELL YEAH!!! I have pushed 45psi out of mine and I thought that was crazy.

Directconnection
12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Ramchargers were still in bussiness not too long ago? They were the cat's arse! Maybe things turned commercial after they fizzelde dout in the early 70's, but back befor erthat, they were awesome and they pushed alot of the technology you see/read/hear about today. Too bad...

RIFF-RAFF
12-10-2006, 07:24 PM
YOu will always see performance parts more for Ford and Chevys.

Check out www.bd-power.com They are likely the biggest domestic diesel performance suppliers in north america.If you look at their price/inventory list,you'll notice that about 80% of all performance drivetrain parts are cummins related.The Cummins has about 8 or 9 turbo options alone whereas the Ferd and Chebby maybe have 1 or 2 each.

Frank

Directconnection
12-10-2006, 07:43 PM
That's good to know. I had thought the cummins was less superior due to the less respect I saw in the rags.

GLHSKEN
12-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out which site I like better out of the turbo sites. TD is busy and big and not many close to me. TM is slower but seems to be a tight group. BM is smaller yet but have been welcomed with open arms for the most part.

Tm slower as in internet speed?? Just curious.

BoostedL
12-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Tm slower as in internet speed?? Just curious.

No not slower in speed from the internet. Slower as in fewer posts but more on the point posts.

Some sites I have visited have drama and very little of anything else. Bunch of asshats just ripping on everyone and posting stupid threads.

Some sites are the same 10 questions over and over and over again. boring.

This site has a moderate amount of posts but very useful info. Forsale doesn't move like TD or NAXJA but then again, I can most likely count on an item being sold here rather than having 10 guys say they want it and never seeing the paypal balance go up.

The only thing I would change...And I have changed it on my past sites is putting the links at both the top and bottom of the page for returning to the parent forum. After reading a thread to the bottom, scrolling up to the top to go to the parent forum takes time from reading.

Back on Diesel.

Ramchargers went out of business early this year or late last year. Not sure. Examples of problems.
Ford part at summit was 199.99 at RC it was 219.99
Chevy same
MOPAR they very foundation of the company...OUT OF STOCK price was 219.99 PLUS $9.99 shipping and handling plus tax...And I still had to wait a week for their weekly delivery...on an item they listed IN STOCK at their store.

racer-xerols
01-18-2007, 09:23 PM
www.dieselram.com works fine for me. Great stuff, pretty well organized by generation, and within those by powertrain and non-powertrain. I'm on there occasionally checking on ideas and stuff for our '05.

NeonShowCar
02-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't own a Turbo Diesel, did you know that Gale Banks Engineering sells alot of Hi-po parts for the Cummins? http://www.bankspower.com/

DodgeZ
02-19-2007, 04:15 PM
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

moparzrule
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
All I can offer on the EGTs is that most diesel guys I know keep them low, say 900.

They flipped out when they heard and saw I was running 1600 on my R/T.

Sometimes the cummins crowd puts the EGT probe after the turbo, it's ~300 degrees less than in the manifold. Max sustained temp is 1300, but you can run up to 1800 degrees or so for 20 second bursts....IE when sled pulling the temps sky rocket because of the load on the engine.
I have pegged the 1500 degree pyro on my 94' ram many times with no ill results. Besides, in 10 seconds the truck is topped out anyway.

moparzrule
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Banks is overpriced junk that gives minimal gains. If you want real stuff go to sites like...
www.tstproducts.com
www.scheiddiesel.com/index.htm
www.citydiesel.net
www.piersdiesel.com

and www.turbodieselregister.com is the number 1 resource of any cummins information.