PDA

View Full Version : Auxilary Oil Cooler?

Bossman429
01-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Anyone running an aux oil cooler on a 2.2/2.5?
I have considered one since it is turbo car, and my other turbo car has a oil cooler. So I was thumbing through the Jegs catalog and saw a couple oil coolers that could possibly work.

I have a Ford 5.0 Filter on the car now, so it looks like I could get a sandwich adapter to fit in between the filter and block, and possibly run the shorter Mopar filter if space between the filter and rad, etc becomes a problem.

Since we can run the ford filters, I would guess that an oil cooler running the 3/4-16 thread (I think thats what it is?) would work.

How about this:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=18261&searchItemId=40071
I'd probably go with the largest one, $160 isn't too bad of a price.
Any comments, suggestions, recommendations?

8valves
01-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I've had a kit ready to put on for a long time now but just never got around to it. I think it's an awesome idea. I'd actually be scared to see my oil temperatures after some hard driving/long driving compared to most other turbo cars.

Another added benefit, lowering inside engine temps such as oil will help reduce engine bay temperatures as well.

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 05:12 PM
True Aaron but you have the flip side, too cold and you'll also do damage, the oil won't burn off all the crap, etc. I would install an oil temp guage first, then drive around for a few weeks and note readings. I can't remember the proper temp but the specs are around on the net, they have to be, lol, and see whats going on. I'll bet he won't need one unless he's road racing.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 12:30 AM
I remember seeing a thermostat setup for an oil cooler that bypasses the cooler until the oil is up to temp. Maybe that would keep from doing any damage due to the oil staying too cold. It was either a Summit or Jegs catalog where I saw it.

cordes
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
I remember seeing a thermostat setup for an oil cooler that bypasses the cooler until the oil is up to temp. Maybe that would keep from doing any damage due to the oil staying too cold. It was either a Summit or Jegs catalog where I saw it.

+1 There was somone on TD that had a really nice oil cooler setup. It was a sandwich design with an internal thermostat that would open up when the oil reached a certian temp. He used AN fittings all around and it looked really nice.

talanthalus
01-13-2006, 03:41 AM
I am running one on my 87 Daytona Shelby Z (TII). I have done quite a few engine modifications, so adding the cooler was just another step in the process. On the 92 Iroc R/T, I'd read that the aux cooler was actually a recommendation from Lotus with the TIII engines...

I have the housing for the cooler attached at the oil filter and the hoses running to the coils, which are installed on the right side in front of the radiator. I also added an aux cooling fan in the mix as well. The installation was pretty simple and clean.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Did your cooler setup come with any type of thermostat?
Just curious.

inmyshadow
01-13-2006, 07:49 AM
I've run several different oil coolers on two of my shadows.

My red shadow has an air to oil cooler. I didn't like it much because the lines always leaked and made a mess. This oil cooler was like 70 bucks from summit. The clamps always came loose leaking oil.

On my current shadow, I decided to use the coolant to oil cooler. So I bought a mustang cobra oil cooler. All I had to do was plump this into my heater return line. Its lot cleaning looking and no mess.

later

BreakNBolts
01-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Here's a link to an install example:
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526

Bossman429
01-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Here's a link to an install example:
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526
How do you decide what size lines and connections to use?
I have to admit, I know nothing about AN fittings, but they seem like the way to go if you don't want leaking clamp fittings.
That is a good write up, but I could use some advice on where to buy parts, and how to know what will fit with what etc.

BreakNBolts
01-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Here's how i did it.
1. Decide on an oil cooler (http://www.derale.com/engineoilcoolers.shtml)
- Size matters for application (space and required cooling)
- Type: plate or tube and fin (lots of arguments here by either will likely work)
2. Sandwich adapter (temperature controlled recommended)
- 3/4-16
- consider a remote filter setup so you can get the filter off or use an over sized
3. Fittings and tubing
- This will depend on the cooler and adapter you get. AN is a sizing designation for the fittings. The new Summit fittings seem to be the most reasonably priced. http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400304 Anyway the pipe threads on the cooler and adapter will require some sort of AN to NPT adapter. From there it all depends on how much oil you want to flow. The higher the AN number the larger the hole for oil to flow through. I used AN -8 which seems to work fine.

Now for the real story....I drive this car every day and this is over kill with the stainless braided lines and aluminum fittings. However, I also take this car to road tracks were it runs for 20 to 30 minute intervals at 3000 or greater rpms. The club I go to the track with requires twisted connections for all oil lines and under the conditions I agree with them. For autocross / daily driver / occasional drag strip I would probably get a kit with brass barbs and clamps. I'm reasonably sure it would be fine. I went to a local shop with my cooler and adapter to peice together the system. Then I went online and printed out the prices from Summit. The local shop matched the price and I got to see what everything looks like and was able to make sure it fit.

turbovanmanČ
01-14-2006, 02:11 PM
That Derale link, pretty nice. B@M also makes the same kind of setup, I forgot, I bought one for a customer years ago as I redid his engine in a 90's Ford PU with a 460. The factory has one and the B@M is a perfect match to replace it at a fraction of the cost. I still have the oil filter adapter at work, :thumb:

Omnious
01-14-2006, 06:53 PM
would it be a bad idea to skip the sandwich and run one off of the distribution block that the turbo feeds from?

BreakNBolts
01-15-2006, 11:11 AM
would it be a bad idea to skip the sandwich and run one off of the distribution block that the turbo feeds from?

I don't know if it's a bad idea, but I think the greatest percentage of oil goes through the filter, so it stands to reason that it's a pretty good location to cool.

Tony Hanna
01-15-2006, 05:43 PM

Where would you return it to if you ran it from there? If you dumped it back into the pan, you'd just be sacrificing oil pressure. On the other hand, you might see a small benifit if you connected it at the distribution block and then connected the other end to the turbo feed line.
Still, I'm with BreakNBolts on thinking the filter is the best place due to the volume of oil.

turboking
01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I blew a motor (no oil pressure).. I hooked up the lines wrong. (Got to think how thw oil flows from a to b)..

firebaron90
01-17-2006, 04:50 AM
I blew a motor (no oil pressure).. I hooked up the lines wrong. (Got to think how thw oil flows from a to b)..

Could you elaberate as to what you did wrong???

Omnious
01-17-2006, 05:41 AM
Where would you return it to if you ran it from there? If you dumped it back into the pan, you'd just be sacrificing oil pressure. On the other hand, you might see a small benifit if you connected it at the distribution block and then connected the other end to the turbo feed line.
Still, I'm with BreakNBolts on thinking the filter is the best place due to the volume of oil.

That is what my idea was, cooler oil to the turbo, i thought it might prolong it's life

Tony Hanna
01-17-2006, 03:38 PM
That is what my idea was, cooler oil to the turbo, i thought it might prolong it's life

If memory serves, somebody on TD ran a setup like that. Me personally, if I was going to go to the trouble of mounting the cooler, I'd use a big enough one to handle the whole system that way the engine and turbo both benefit.

csracer
01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I run one on my car since it is used for road course duty. Without one i was seeing upwards of 280+ deg during a 20 minute track session, after i installed the oil cooler it dropped to about 230 deg. It uses a 19 row Earl's bar and plate oil cooler, -10AN stainless braided hoses and a Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate. The thermostat in the sandwich adapter is a 180 deg t-stat, it allows some oil to circulate through the cooler at all times and opens fully at 180 deg. The temp stays around 180 when cruising on the highway even if it is cold out.

This setup may not be for everyone but if you run your dcar hard it still a good idea to run an oil cooler, but some sort of thermostat in the system should be mandatory.

here are a couple pics of my setup, the first one is the cooler itself mounted on the rad support and the second one, there is a pic of my engine bay that shows the hoses.

http://www.csracer.com/oilcooler.jpg

http://www.csracer.com/gallery.html

vxvxAndrewxvxv
01-23-2006, 12:34 AM
How cold is too cold for the oil?

cordes
01-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I have been told that 180-190* is about ideal, although it was a terciary source.

Bossman429
01-23-2006, 08:38 PM
The main reason you want your oil to get to a certain temp is to burn off all of the water/condensation from the oil. The boiling point of water is ~212 degrees, therefore you would want the oil to be running at around 200 degrees to ensure that the condensation, and crap in the oil is being burnt off.

turbojerk
01-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Here's my rig. I used a TransDapt adapter for a 318/360 that I got from Napa for around $30. The cooler I used is a B&M super cooler that's 10"x12".

It works really well, and I have 60-75psi of oil pressure at speeds, and 25-30psi at hot idle....

T

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9202/coolerjpg0ww.jpg

Tony Hanna
01-25-2006, 04:00 AM
That's a clean looking install.:thumb:

firebaron90
01-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Wow I really like that. How is the cooler mounted???

Joe

cordes
01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Here's my rig. I used a TransDapt adapter for a 318/360 that I got from Napa for around $30. The cooler I used is a B&M super cooler that's 10"x12".

It works really well, and I have 60-75psi of oil pressure at speeds, and 25-30psi at hot idle....

Thttp://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9202/coolerjpg0ww.jpg

Yep, I believe that is the one I saw on TD.com. Very nice indeed.

BreakNBolts
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
You think that is clean...you should see his garage. Out of control! T does real nice work for a ricer.

turbojerk
01-25-2006, 01:51 PM
You think that is clean...you should see his garage. Out of control! T does real nice work for a ricer.

Thanks...I think?

PUNK!:lol:

PS.
I know where you live....:evil:

T

turbojerk
01-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Wow I really like that. How is the cooler mounted???

Joe

It's directly in front of the radiator, mounted to the rad support.

T

talanthalus
06-27-2006, 12:47 AM

T

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9202/coolerjpg0ww.jpg

That setup looks almost identical to mine, except mine isn't quite as colourful. :) I actually believe we're running the same exact setup, as a matter of fact...

turbo xtc
06-28-2006, 06:14 AM
whats the p/n for that transdapt?

Darkwolf
06-28-2006, 06:44 AM
and does it have a built in thermostat?