PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor stuck then not so stuck

inplansight
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Ok I am putting toghter an 87/88 T2 combo and while the engine was sitting on the ground someone knocked it over and landed on the o2 sensor breaking the stem off at the base of the sensor.:mad:

So I was trying to remove the sensor and you know it was stuck :o so I heated up the housing and the sensor started to move then stoped and then came out:confused:

I was looking at the threads and they do not look to hot I am plaing to run an thread chaser through but have not had time to get back to it and did not have another sensor to thread in to the housing.And see if the threads are ok.

My quiestion is if the hosing is beyond saving could I have an bung added in the down pipe and just mount the sensor there. I know I would have to make the wires longer but this would be quicker and easer and cheaper then repalceing the wastgate housing. Also anythoughts on what might fit in the old hole.

paul B

Frank
11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Anywhere before the cat is allowable for O2 sensors.

22mopar
11-27-2006, 03:05 PM
the threads are the same as the old spark plug 18mm. you can get a spark plug thread chaser (14mm on one side and 18mm on the other) to clean up the treads. most likely this will work just fine for your new sensor. also use some high temp antiseeze

inplansight
11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks I just picke it up today .

the threads are the same as the old spark plug 18mm. you can get a spark plug thread chaser (14mm on one side and 18mm on the other) to clean up the treads. most likely this will work just fine for your new sensor. also use some high temp antiseeze

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
You can place the Ox anywhere upstream of the cat but you can't have exhaust leaks where you put it, so after the donut wouldn't be a good move.

contraption22
11-28-2006, 04:40 PM
In my experience, moving it too far downstream will cause problems with it heating up, especially if you are using a 1 wire 02 sensor.

turbovanmanČ
11-28-2006, 05:00 PM
In my experience, moving it too far downstream will cause problems with it heating up, especially if you are using a 1 wire 02 sensor.

True but a 4 wire should be just fine.