PDA

View Full Version : Brother vs Brother

Dave
11-27-2006, 01:46 AM
I've been heckling my brother to race me in my dad's Acclaim against his '91 Spirit ES. Finally, he comes home tonight and says, "I think I can take on the little Acclaim." Bring it!

89 Acclaim - 2.5" crushed exhaust, Flowmaster, 14psi, S60 I/C, mild P&P job by OhioRob, RMVB

91 Spirit - 2.5" crushed Borla exhaust (w/ a CAT), 14psi, Conquest I/C, fresh rebuild .020 on the bottom end, fresh 568

After driving through town and getting my boost set just right, we hit it out on a 4 lane hwy on the outskirts of town. We line up. He counts down, 3, 2, 1, GO! I mash it way to early and blow them away hard, I try to peddle it a couple of times to hook. I can see and hear him fighting for traction as well. Finally we both hook. He pulls back 2nd, and I lurch a foot on him, then he slowly starts walking, he pulls third and I lurch a little closer.... nooooope, I wouldn't have it tonight. I stayed right at his door up to I pulled down 3rd, then he put about a length and a half on me when we shut it down. Around 105mph.

I know not too exciting without a video, I promise I'll try and get one soon. I'll get the bust this time and practice launching it. I'm not used to instant boost. :eyebrows:

BARRON
11-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Yet another super clean TD. Cars dont fling oil and sling mud where you guys live? what about the broken down wiring harnesses with that tape half off them and rusty A/C and brake lines?

..The north is just NO place to have a nice car I guess...unless you only drive it from June to September.

Dave
11-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks. No.... cars rot here. Look at my van. :( Of course every TD smokes or leaks. If it didn't leak or smoke it wouldn't be fast. :nod:

BARRON
11-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Ok cool. Now.. go show some respect for the minivan vid in the thread below! :p

What do you consider instant boost anyways? I know my van takes roughly one second to go from 0vac to 7psi. But I suppose manuals are a bit different.. its a "little" harder to boost off the line. But I dont see where the "lag" is a bad thing.. cause if I brake torque any over 1800rpm its just tire smoke.

Probably not with drag radials/slicks and a hot day tho.

Mike_Shepard
11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Wow thats the first time I've seen that car and I love it nice race BTW

vntned
11-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Lose the Flowmaster! They are a cork on a turbo car!

Dave
12-01-2006, 02:02 AM
I know Flowmaster's suck, so that's why next time I race him I'll uncap at the downpipe. ;) Next time there will be a video. So whenever him and I can catch up again. I should beat him uncapped.

Barron, van videos are coming! Fixing the brake lines tomorrow or the day after, then it's off to e-check, then a 3" exhaust, MBC... you think I should stick my T04E on it, run 12psi, just to see what the hell happens? :eyebrows: <-- Joke BTW!

BARRON
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I dont think it would be a joke!! Especially on the top end. I'd definately upgrade the turbo tho. Cause when it hits 3rd gear around 80mph it going to fall FLAT on its face..unless you running big boost.

As you seen in the vid of mine I hit a wall at 80-85mph. Probably a big wall of air! lol!

Yah.. get the vids man. I am really wanting OTHER's minivan vids! Also.. host it on putfile so I can download it and save it! :)

You can be SURE Simon and I will be in the thread hootin and cheering you on. We seem to be the only VOCAL van freaks around. ...besides you.. :)

Dave
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
haha yah I know. We need more people here!! Van people that is. The turbo is on it's way to Cindy to get checked out. I'm taking a temp. job on the 11th, so I'll be able to make some serious cabbage, maybe I'll be able to afford that big front mount and some nice fuel upgrades.

Bubba
12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
How'd Andy's transmission end up doing? Did it start acting right after driving it a bit?

whywoody
12-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Hey I'm a van guy too,just have no video...
I'll try and get something together soon,a friend has a video camera and would probably help me here.