PDA

View Full Version : Another cam thread

Murphy
01-12-2006, 01:57 AM
SO..another thread about cams....here is my predicted setup
T2 bottom end, well ported top end, t2 turbo w/3" SV and DP and open cutout

I am looking for a performance roller cam for it. I was planning on using a 88TBI cam but the overlap is bad for high boost...
Is there a turbo roller performance cam for these engines?

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 02:44 AM
Depends on how ported your head is. I should go over and read that thread on TD but the TAFT S1 and S2 are a good choice, the S2 is the rollerized version of the S60 cam.

When I get my IC installed, I am going to do some testing on cams, maybe have some custom ground and see what I can come up with.

John B
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I know some of the fastest high boost guys use the stock '89 turbo cam. Remember that the longer duration Super 60 cam was designed for only 18 psi. That is sorta low boost by today's standards. I have a strong but as yet untested hunch that the S1 would do quite well at high boost because of it's higher lift but tight "stock" timing.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I know some of the fastest high boost guys use the stock '89 turbo cam. Remember that the longer duration Super 60 cam was designed for only 18 psi. That is sorta low boost by today's standards. I have a strong but as yet untested hunch that the S1 would do quite well at high boost because of it's higher lift but tight "stock" timing.

True but remember, alot of testing was done on STOCK heads, which flow junk, so throw in a bigger cam, restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds and they become useless. Look at Aaron Miller, has some mods and running a S3 cam, 375whp, :thumb: True, I wonder what he would do with the stocker. Thats why I want to try all these cams with my engine, as its ported, over size valves, 2 piece intake and log header. Would be interesting to say the least.

glhs875
01-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Reduced exhaust backpressure, anything you can do to cut down on reversion is your friend when it comes to larger than stock cams that have more overlap, even when running high boost. Personally I love the Taft S3, and my car is a street- strip one.

ShelGame
01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
The TBI cam may have more overlap than the turbo cams, but you have to remember it's measured at low lift (typically 0.05"). So, the risk of losing intake charge out the exhaust is small. What it does have as an advantage is more intake and exhaust duration. That means more flow. If you're not running big boost, then the TBI cam is a good bet. Even better would be TBI cam duration with Turbo cam overlap, but there's nothing like that available...

glhs875
01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
The TBI cam may have more overlap than the turbo cams, but you have to remember it's measured at low lift (typically 0.05"). So, the risk of losing intake charge out the exhaust is small. What it does have as an advantage is more intake and exhaust duration. That means more flow. If you're not running big boost, then the TBI cam is a good bet. Even better would be TBI cam duration with Turbo cam overlap, but there's nothing like that available...

You won't be loosing boost out the exhaust, exhaust will be pushing it's way back towards the intake during overlap. When under boost there is usually around a 2 to 1 ratio of backpressure vs. boost pressure with the backpressure being the higher. So you will have reversion of exhaust gases, not boost going into the exhaust. The more efficient you make your combo by lowering the backpressure while still trying to keep good spoolup, the better a higher overlap is going to work when turbo'd.

85glht
01-12-2006, 07:09 PM
When I get my IC installed, I am going to do some testing on cams, maybe have some custom ground and see what I can come up with.

Hurry up....I want to know myself :D

deuce dodge
01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
18 to 20 psi.............t2 setup w/+20's

88 tbi or 89 roller??????????? or taft??????????

DOG WE GOTS TO KNOW...........

deuce

glhs875
01-12-2006, 10:23 PM

deuce

What's the specs on your turbo, and do you have at least a ported exhaust manifold with a good flowing exhaust system?

10G OMNI
01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
This last year i ran my GLH with a 88 tbi and it ran 12.5 111mph on a 2.2
t3/t4 tubo at 18psi,the cam works great but power starts to fall off in the 5900rpm range therefore i bought a Taft 2 cam to shift the power to the right and let me stay in rev mode a little longer.The first thing ill do this spring is throw in the s-2 and go to the track to get some data.I think the s-2 cam is best for highly moded cars,and more power will come out of it if you upgrade the intake as well.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
This last year i ran my GLH with a 88 tbi and it ran 12.5 111mph on a 2.2
t3/t4 tubo at 18psi,the cam works great but power starts to fall off in the 5900rpm range therefore i bought a Taft 2 cam to shift the power to the right and let me stay in rev mode a little longer.The first thing ill do this spring is throw in the s-2 and go to the track to get some data.I think the s-2 cam is best for highly moded cars,and more power will come out of it if you upgrade the intake as well.

I agree, the S1 is for stock type cars, the S2 is for modded and is the roller S60 cam, and the S3 is balls out.

Rattlesnake
01-13-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree, the S1 is for stock type cars, the S2 is for modded and is the roller S60 cam, and the S3 is balls out.

I first had the stock T1 cam in my Spirit and took it to the roadcourse and it was fast comming out of the turns, but when it was time for hammer down on the straight it would start to slow down and as the rpm went up. So I upgraded my intake and exhaust and a S3 cam. Next time on the track and boy the top end power was there and still pulling when the shift light came on (6400rpm).

T1 2.5L
S3 cam
IMSA head oversize valves
custom intake
TBI turbo header
T61 .48a/r(for quick spool) turbo
open boom pipe (real NASCAR exhaust pipe)
Aluminum flywheel

deuce dodge
01-13-2006, 07:16 PM
ok for stock garret turbo w/ 2.5 swing valve.......+20's .18 /20 psi....2.5 y pipe open for drags closed for street.no cat on street maybe a "bit 'o"muffler.

would s3 be sweetest on street for the big cruise day?????

would love to do the cruise night with huge cam lope :)

how daily driver is the s3 and will it tear things up ?

deuce

turbovanmanČ
01-13-2006, 07:57 PM
ok for stock garret turbo w/ 2.5 swing valve.......+20's .18 /20 psi....2.5 y pipe open for drags closed for street.no cat on street maybe a "bit 'o"muffler.

would s3 be sweetest on street for the big cruise day?????

would love to do the cruise night with huge cam lope :)

how daily driver is the s3 and will it tear things up ?

deuce

PM "8 valves"-Aaron Miller, he's running an S3. It won't TEAR up as its a roller cam so nothing to wear, :thumb:

John B
01-14-2006, 07:16 AM

deuce Well, in the 18 to 20 psi range you're right in the zone that the S60 cam was designed for so the Taft S2 should do well for you. Cheaper but also good would be the '88 2.2 TBI.

deuce dodge
01-15-2006, 08:33 AM
will the s3 give me that blower whine and funny car lope..(dreaming)..sigh....

we will be trying to beat 2 mazda rotary 12 second monsters....they sound so sweet you could drink the rpms........in datsun car bodies....they are the coolest thing since the pigs bit my little sister...really....

and then we will all be cruising on 28th street cruise...3000 to 5000+ cars................insane..........

deuce