PDA

View Full Version : ND Alternator in L Body

johnl
11-23-2006, 03:15 AM
Here are pics.

Thanks to this - http://www.omniglht.com/nd.htmlks for that write up. Thanks also to TurboJerry for suggesting the idea of "sectioning" the 89 LeBaron alternator tensioner bracket.

(1) pic of the 1 and 1/4 inch section cut out of the bracket with the shortened bracket and shorter belt sleeve showing length and part number - the belt could go another step shorter; especially with a bit of grinding on the water pump and the alternator.

(2) pic showing the clearance between the ND alternator and the water pump.

(3) pic of the same bracket supporting a Bosch alternator (first edition); the 3/8 inch fuel line picks up "high side" coolant for #4.

(4) lastly, pic of the improved alternator/body clearance.

GLHSKEN
11-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Nice job!!

cordes
11-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Very nice. I cut up those alt brackets six ways fomr sunday, and had no luck, as I cut it too short eventually. That is truly a great accomplishment.

eddycooper
11-24-2006, 11:53 AM
One question for ya - which water pump is that? I had a go at doing the same thing this week, but using the proper ND bracket and it didn't fit the water pump. I'm just wondering if I have the option of keeping the early water pump and doing what you did...

Eddy

johnl
11-24-2006, 01:22 PM
One question for ya - which water pump is that? I had a go at doing the same thing this week, but using the proper ND bracket and it didn't fit the water pump. I'm just wondering if I have the option of keeping the early water pump and doing what you did...

Eddy

Eddy - the water pump is the original pump that came on the car - 1985 GLH Turbo. That pump, of course, was originally mated to the big Mopar alternator and its multi piece bracketry. The bracket came off of a 1987 T1 LeBaron and it was originally mated to the mid size Bosch alternator.

cordes
11-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I used the newer pump, but on the origional housing perhaps? I really don't recall since I had so many floating around while trying to make it all work.

2.216VTurbo
11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Nice job John, it's so roomy there now a family of rats could live comfortably between the alt and front core support :D

tryingbe
11-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I guess I got it easy, I just drop the 2.5L short block along with the alaternator in my GLH. :)

Oh, I have the 120amp nippo in there too along with a 5.0 oil filter and somehow they all fit. :eyebrows:

eddycooper
11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Eddy - the water pump is the original pump that came on the car - 1985 GLH Turbo. That pump, of course, was originally mated to the big Mopar alternator and its multi piece bracketry. The bracket came off of a 1987 T1 LeBaron and it was originally mated to the mid size Bosch alternator.

John, thanks for the info. Looks like I have the two brackets that won't work (the Chrysler one and the Nippondenso one) with the original water pump on my GLH. I guess I have two options: get a commonblock water pump, or get a Bosch alternator bracket.

I gotta say, this business of making stuff work in my car from junk yard parts with little to no modification, is one of the main reasons I like my TD!

Eddy

johnl
11-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Nice job John, it's so roomy there now a family of rats could live comfortably between the alt and front core support :D

Sheesh, I know that the car is rough. Is it that rough? A rat's nest?

2.216VTurbo
11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Sheesh, I know that the car is rough. Is it that rough? A rat's nest?

No reflection on your car John, don't take it that way. :peace: It's just well known that rats like the protection that living underhood provides-especially on an L body:D Had one under the Rampage when I got it, cousin had one under the hood of his Shelby Charger a few years back... Basically any car that sits for a few months at a time is an opportunity for the furry squaters.