PDA

View Full Version : Competition Shadow's

boostboy
11-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Well I just got a 1990 Competition shadow, and Im just wondering how many of these cars are left? With 300 being built in 1989, and only 30 in 1990 these cars are rare. Id like to get a rough idea of how many are left.
I know a 1990 comp car was written off in B.C in like 1994 and there is another red 1990 that a guy up here owns, but is in his garage awaiting some work, or a new owner.

Well here is mine. Its all stock, with a rebuilt motor and turbo. It needs some rust repair on the rear 1/4's. I plan on keeping it fairly stock.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/606000-606999/606554_315_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/606000-606999/606554_316_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/606000-606999/606554_318_full.jpg

afsautoworx
11-19-2006, 06:17 PM
im sure hell post, but talk to DirectConnection. He owns a 90 Comp Shadow and has a friend who owns another 90 Comp Shadow. I think theres a rumor about there being more than 30 made, maybe not.

boostboy
11-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Thats sort of why Im trying to get a count of the cars, I thought the 30 number seems a bit low, because youd think that a few have been crushed or parted out by now. Someone got a letter from Chrysler saying that 30 were produced, which if it is true, makes it one rare car.

afsautoworx
11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
yeah the guy who sent the letter to Chrysler is Steve (Direct Connection)

boostboy
11-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Here is one more, unfortunattly it was written of in 97/98. The drivetrain made its way Into Will Martins TIV GLH though.

http://www.joink.com/homes/users/cooke/shelbyregistry/karlr.htm

Turbodave
11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I've got an 89 Comp package car and the total production of 300 was faxed to me by Chrysler customer service based on the option code ANA which signified the competition package in 89. That code now shows up on the sheets as a navigation system or something.

I've only come across 4 other 89 Comp package cars since I discovered mine, They are even harder to spot than the 90's since they really didn't get anything special in the powertrain department. When I bought my 89 I didn't know it was a comp package car, I just liked that it was a turbo 5spd car with no options. I had the car for a few years before I call Chrysler and did a little research on it.

edit: Moved thread to the "original turbo-dodge cars" section

Directconnection
11-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Actually...the # I get base doff the percentages I jotted while on the phone with DC about 8 years ago comes out to 27. The letterhead I requested shows 30 CPs and 141 total VNTs. I have one of each, and bought another in CT for a friend, which just sold 2 months ago to another friend (and is making over 270whp). Bill Baker onws a black one, and Matt Houff used to own a black one he sold to a Dan Goldstein. Not sure where it is now. I have seen about 8-12 CP VNT Shadows come and go via the mailing list members/forums over the years. Oh yeah...dean Stillie had one. Anyways...the fact that i have talked to about a dozen people with these cars makes me wonder if they reall y did make that little or more. But, look at the '87 GLHS cars. I have seen in Maine 4 of these... but never a VNT CP car or even a VNT Shadow at all. Have seen a few VNT dayotnas though (and bought 2). So...it could be possible... or the 30 # is domestic and not counting exports.

Ed Helbling and Jan Daurio had a breakdown of VNT daytonas...it used to be online years ago... had export breakdowns as well. The orignal owner of Ed's VNT demanded he get a breakdown when buying the car as he knew it was rare. He gave the paper to Ed when he sold it, then ed sold the ar and Jan kept it up on his site. Maybe it's still up there someplace. But, that pertains to vnt daytonas.

speeddemon
11-23-2006, 03:51 AM
I now have Deans car. It had two owners between Dean and myself during which it was poorly maintained and converted to TII. I have seen a few VNTs around the Detroit area but none were CP cars to my knowledge.

BadAssPerformance
11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I now have Deans car. It had two owners between Dean and myself during which it was poorly maintained and converted to TII. I have seen a few VNTs around the Detroit area but none were CP cars to my knowledge.

Whatever happened to the White VNT shadow he added a CSX grill and some custom decals to clone it up. Sweet car! Owners name was Ken I think? Back when SDAC-GL was meeting at Bill's A&W and Big Boy...

Directconnection
11-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Hehehe... that was 5digits and you guys never knew it.:eyebrows:

It is sold to someone else who likes to horde TDs and rare parts.

BTW...the car was an ES VNT Shadow with simply the grill and stock ES GFX painted white along with the rest of the car. Never saw it in person, but have a couple pics of it he sent me.

boostboy
11-23-2006, 07:20 PM

BTW...the car was an ES VNT Shadow with simply the grill and stock ES GFX painted white along with the rest of the car. Never saw it in person, but have a couple pics of it he sent me.

Any chance on posting the pics?

boostboy
11-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Ok, so as it stands right now there is:

1989 CP Shadow's = 5 (dave +4 others he knows about)
1990 CP Shadow's = 9 (plus 8-12 from the internet)

Directconnection
11-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Any chance on posting the pics?

They are on my other computer that has been offline for the past 1-1/2 years now and this computer doesn't have a floppy. Besides, he told me not to post them.

BadAssPerformance
11-23-2006, 09:40 PM

No way! What was the story behind how it got the grill?

Directconnection
11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
How what got on the grill? The pic I have, it only has an '89 csx grill.

He told me once of laying waste to his friend's Viper GTS with that car.

BadAssPerformance
11-24-2006, 10:01 AM
How what got on the grill? The pic I have, it only has an '89 csx grill.

He told me once of laying waste to his friend's Viper GTS with that car.

The story behind how the car got the grill... Just wanted to see if we are talking about the same guy. Does the car have CSX decals on it or custom decals?

Directconnection
11-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I never remember any decals on the pic I have.

It's the same guy, though.

sdac guy
11-24-2006, 07:46 PM
That was 5digits car that he used to bring to the GL meets back in the mid-late 90's.

He had some custom VNT decals on the deck lid and maybe the hood at one time. They were done in CSX-T light blue IIRC (the V might have been in red or something like that). He added the 89 CSX grill, and then converted the car to T-II. I think it was T-II when he brought it to the GL meets, but I am not sure.

He had quite a few trick items on the engine, all for performance, but maintaining a stock appearance. The plenum on the intake was about a half inch or so wider, but to hide it, he welded another rib on the top. The only way to notice it was to see a normal intake and then notice his intake had another rib. It was done well, looked factory, couldn't tell it had been modified.

It used a 52mm TB and it was 52mm ID at the TB opening and all the way through the neck. Again, he added metal, then ground it out to size, and it all looked stock. Also the TB was canted 15 degrees to ease the effect of the bend in the manifold.

He widened the stock intercooler (depth) and then added material to the end tanks, so again it looked stock at first glance. The turbo is a ball bearing unit, but of his own design, that he holds the rights to (can only be purchased through him).

That last time I saw it was at a GL dyno day where the car put down 290 whp at only 17 psi boost. We wanted him to turn up the wick, but he said he was only interested in how much hp the car would make at a modest boost level. I later heard that he went low 11's in the quarter at about 22 psi.

At the dyno day, he allowed anyone that wanted to have a look to see the engine and would discuss it openly, but he would not allow any pictures under the hood.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
11-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks for jogging my memory Barry, that's the car I remember!

IIR, smurf blue and pink (ala 80's) CSX-VNT decals were on it. I might have a 35mm picture of the car somewhere. I rememebr a couple of the trick items but teh car was still VNT and pretty much stock except a boost controller when I last saw it.

I'm tryiong to remember if we ever had a GL meeting where Ken, Joe, Tim K, Corry and I all had our CSX's there... I do recall leaving a GL meeting on the way home (IL) one Friday night and following Tim and Ken playing a little on the highway ;)

Directconnection
11-24-2006, 09:47 PM
That was 5digits car that he used to bring to the GL meets back in the mid-late 90's.

He had some custom VNT decals on the deck lid and maybe the hood at one time. They were done in CSX-T light blue IIRC (the V might have been in red or something like that). He added the 89 CSX grill, and then converted the car to T-II. I think it was T-II when he brought it to the GL meets, but I am not sure.

He had quite a few trick items on the engine, all for performance, but maintaining a stock appearance. The plenum on the intake was about a half inch or so wider, but to hide it, he welded another rib on the top. The only way to notice it was to see a normal intake and then notice his intake had another rib. It was done well, looked factory, couldn't tell it had been modified.

It used a 52mm TB and it was 52mm ID at the TB opening and all the way through the neck. Again, he added metal, then ground it out to size, and it all looked stock. Also the TB was canted 15 degrees to ease the effect of the bend in the manifold.

He widened the stock intercooler (depth) and then added material to the end tanks, so again it looked stock at first glance. The turbo is a ball bearing unit, but of his own design, that he holds the rights to (can only be purchased through him).

That last time I saw it was at a GL dyno day where the car put down 290 whp at only 17 psi boost. We wanted him to turn up the wick, but he said he was only interested in how much hp the car would make at a modest boost level. I later heard that he went low 11's in the quarter at about 22 psi.

At the dyno day, he allowed anyone that wanted to have a look to see the engine and would discuss it openly, but he would not allow any pictures under the hood.

Barry

I knew you'd chime in Barry! One thing I didn't know was about his ball bearing turbo. I still have the turbo he built for me sitting on the shelf. Hopefully, I get my arse in gear this spring and get this car together.

I have an underhood pic, but like I said...it's on my old computer and he told me to never post it anyways. Would like to see the pic you have, though.

sdac guy
11-24-2006, 11:38 PM
I knew you'd chime in Barry! Actually, Craig brought this thread to my attention.

One thing I didn't know was about his ball bearing turbo. I still have the turbo he built for me sitting on the shelf. Hopefully, I get my arse in gear this spring and get this car together.He made them both with and without BB's. Much cheaper of course without.

I have an underhood pic, but like I said...it's on my old computer and he told me to never post it anyways. Would like to see the pic you have, though.I don't think I have any pics. I thought I had a couple of his car sitting in the parking lot of the dyno shop, but I can't find them. The mods on the car were "secrets" also, but he doesn't own it anymore, so I figure it is all fair game now. :D

I'm trying to remember if we ever had a GL meeting where Ken, Joe, Tim K, Corry and I all had our CSX's there... I do recall leaving a GL meeting on the way home (IL) one Friday night and following Tim and Ken playing a little on the highwayI am sure that all of those cars must have been there a couple times at least. You guys were all regulars at the meetings.

HaHa, recalling back then ... I saw the decals on his car, but I had no idea what a VNT was. I knew the term, but no understanding of the concept. :lol:

Barry

BadAssPerformance
11-25-2006, 12:06 AM
HaHa, recalling back then ... I saw the decals on his car, but I had no idea what a VNT was. I knew the term, but no understanding of the concept. :lol:

LOL, I know what you're saying... I was like '90 CSX? *scratch head*....

...oh, and IIR, the story behind the grill was that a friend backed into the shadow grill and insurance was given the '89 CSX part number... LOL, good stuff.