PDA

View Full Version : Resonator power robbing effects-if any? Does location affect its ability?

turbovanmanČ
11-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Haven't seen this topic brought up before so figured, WTH. A customer brought me a Vibrant resonator to put on his 1st Gen SRT 4 engine hybrid. The core length is 9 1/2 inches and 3 inch diameter, sooooooooo what effect would this have on sound control AND will this affect power? Considering to knock the interior sound down on my van, with baby on board, want to protect his ears until he's a little older, :thumb:

WVRampage
11-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I know a glass pack will help out with interior sound and well they dont realy change flow much.

turbovanmanČ
11-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I found some resonator tips on Ebay. This one-

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/78/93/9f0f_2.JPG

Or is it better to put them inline up further. I would be putting one up under the floor where the muffler used to be. I would be using this one-

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001003/Images/5/1794_v1.jpg

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Bueller, anyone?

johnl
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
How does your present set up terminate? Is the outlet beyond the edge of the body? On my GLHT, extending the tip of the turn down about 6 inches beyond the edge of the body cut down the interior noise tremendously. I imagine that before the sound waves bounced back up under the car.

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Stock location, out behind the right rear wheel. I had a turn down but it was deafening.

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Helloooooooooo?

Clay
11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
location makes little difference. Some cars have them closer to the front, some at the rear. If the car has a muffler, typically the resonator will follow the muffler. A resonator is usually a straight through design, offers very little back pressure, and does not work as well as a muffler. They are usually used as either (a) an extra muffler to help knock down some of the noise, or (b) used to stop engine drone or noise of a particular frequency (like the drone you get from 1st gen flowmasters) or at a particular engine rpm (again, like the 1st gen flowmasters).

SRT4s dont have a muffler, only a resonator. My old 69 Road Runner had mufflers AND resonators. On a turbo car I think resonators are the way to go. Knock some of the noise and drown down, and keep the exhaust flowing well.

clay

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Well I have 3 inch all the way to the back and the tailpipe exits behind the rear wheel. I have a Magnaflow muffler at the back in an effort to reduce drone. I can either put a resonator where the muffler should go or replace my current tip with the one above? I just want to knock down some of the drone.

Millerman340
11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
A totally different world But on the DSM laser RS turbo I had ,the Apexi 3" had the resonator about where the cat would be. It sounded allot better than the 3" on my R/T without one. It did not sound ricey:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I know they work, just would rather change out a tip over cutting my exhaust apart. Wish someone knew this answer. If I can't get one, I guess I put one in front.

cdd
11-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I have been wanting to try this to help out my drone problem and reduce some noise. I finally got an electric cut out on so not worried about loosing some power anymore. Been watching your thread to see if someone has already done. I will install a bullet between the cat and muffler when I get one.

Ondonti
11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
simon, how is a resonator going to be quieter then your current muffler??????your muffler probably is an oversized resonator.

Add another resonator in series to your current resonator/magnaflow

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2006, 02:45 AM
simon, how is a resonator going to be quieter then your current muffler??????your muffler probably is an oversized resonator.

Add another resonator in series to your current resonator/magnaflow

I will be running BOTH. I just need to know which will work better, resonator tip or up front. So far, no one knows so screw it, I will put one where the original muffler went.

phaxtris
11-22-2006, 04:51 AM
resonators are to cut down on drone, the distance between muffler/resonator (pipe length) determine frequency

they do have the effect of quieting things down a bit, not as much as a muffler tho

BARRON
11-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I imagine the factory did all kinds of research and testing to find out WHERE the muffler and resonator should go on this particular vehicle. I know for myself I'll be installing a 3" magnaflow muffler, and a 2.5"-3" resonator in the stock locations,maybe even add a resonator tip too.

Gotta have these engines quiet,the turbo garbles and kills any "sound" these engines MAY have had.

Let us know what you found out.

Clay
11-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I will be running BOTH. I just need to know which will work better, resonator tip or up front. So far, no one knows so screw it, I will put one where the original muffler went.

Did you read my post??????????????????????

location makes little difference

If you have a muffler on the van already, run it after the muffler.

Since you do, *I* would run the resonator tip, OR put a resonator just after the muffler.

BadAssPerformance
11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
If you really want to quiet it down put a converter on it or a better muffler.

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2006, 01:50 PM
resonators are to cut down on drone, the distance between muffler/resonator (pipe length) determine frequency

they do have the effect of quieting things down a bit, not as much as a muffler tho

I know this, thats why I want to put one in.

Did you read my post??????????????????????

If you have a muffler on the van already, run it after the muffler.

Since you do, *I* would run the resonator tip, OR put a resonator just after the muffler. I did and its so so, no definate answer. Can't put a resonator after the muffler, the tailpipe is right there.
While we are thinking, how would putting it in the tip quieten the drone? I know the factory puts the muffler under the floor then puts a resonator over by the gas tank.

If you really want to quiet it down put a converter on it or a better muffler.

Theres not much quieter out there without causing a restriction. Resonator is the best of both worlds.

Dave
12-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Wait when did you find out she's pregnant??? You didn't tell us! ;)

mcsvt
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
^^ He has known since before SDAC if I am not mistaken.

But on topic. My CSVT had a resonator before the muffler. My opinion is that they work better before the muffler. There was a noticable difference when I removed the resonator from the Contour.

turbovanmanČ
12-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Wait when did you find out she's pregnant??? You didn't tell us! ;)

I did, check the lounge, I also got married in Vegas right after SDAC. :thumb: Got to say, one of my smartest moves in life.

I am having a baby boy, we have called him Jakob and he's due any day now. :partywoot:

^^ He has known since before SDAC if I am not mistaken.

But on topic. My CSVT had a resonator before the muffler. My opinion is that they work better before the muffler. There was a noticable difference when I removed the resonator from the Contour.

Ok, well I won the tip off Ebay so that will be an easy try. If that doesn't knock it down, then I install one under the floor where the muffler used to be.

jory
12-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the new baby and good luck!

could you please explain this a little bit? If the resonator is farther away from the muffler will it make it deeper or is it the other way? I have a glasspack directly after the downpipe and at the end I have a turbo muffler.. It sounds pretty deep too. I really like the way I set it up with the glasspack before the muffler.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Well I put the tip on last night, temporarily as i got the wrong elbow, it knocked the resonance down alot, so much that I might just leave it on. The only drawback is its big and looks ricey, :(

mcsvt
01-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Pictures? :)

Mario
01-04-2007, 02:47 PM
The only drawback is its big and looks ricey, :(

Don't worry, it will be alright Uncle Ben.

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I'll post pics tonight.

jory
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
The only drawback is its big and looks ricey, :(

paint it black! my resonator tip is big and ricey too but i kind of like it.. does that make me a ricer?! oh no!

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Ok, here we go-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/turbovanman/21.jpg

mcsvt
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
That isn't to bad. Guess I am just surprised it helped.

Cool :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Well the pics are deceiving. My ex pipe is 3 inch so you can see how big that tip really is. Theres alot of packing in there. I guess I will redo it properly now I have the correct elbow. If it looks too ricey, I will just paint it I guess.

GLHNSLHT2
01-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Ricer! :) Nice Fart Can daddy.

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Well after spending a few hours redoing it, welding the tip on instead of using the supplied clamps etc, I drove it home today. I can honestly say it made a huge difference, the biggest on the highway, I don't need to turn up the volume on my radio now when driving from the city to the highway. Also, the part throttle boom at around 60-70 km/h is reduced big time. But the best part is, it still rumbles at idle and still barks under boost/wot.